The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting here suffering with massive sciatica trapped nerve 'back' thingy (total agony and struggling to type) I am on the edge of joining the "ultra modern" braid world.
As a confirmed PP fan of long standing,which brand should I opt for ?
The reel its going on will be a Branzino and the rod a RLSD,and I like 20lbs+ bs as most of the areas I plug these days are very shallow and snaggy etc.
Oh and I forgot,,,probably due to the pain,I really dont want to go too thin as I'm paranoid about wind knots etc.
I need to be able to just "use it".

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
For you Nick:

YGK Pink 1.5 PE @ 22lb 8 strand.
Add PE line care coating and add style, colour, handling, distance and usability to your fishing.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For you Nick:

YGK Pink 1.5 PE @ 22lb 8 strand.
Add PE line care coating and add style, colour, handling, distance and usability to your fishing.
Thanks Keith,what about the Yamatoyo ? I know its not 8x but isnt it a bit more modern than PP.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The Yamatoyo is excellent but....

only 4 carrier.

Great, reliable, workable line but, you won't see that 'wow' factor you'd experience switching to a super 8 carrier.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I was in the same dilemma a few months ago Took the plunge and wont look back I am using 30lb Power Pro As for wind knots i have had 2 Underfill your spool by around 2mm from the lip The line soon settles on the spool the wind knots that you get to start with act to self level itself anyway if that makes sense Good luck

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in the same dilemma a few months ago Took the plunge and wont look back I am using 30lb Power Pro As for wind knots i have had 2 Underfill your spool by around 2mm from the lip The line soon settles on the spool the wind knots that you get to start with act to self level itself anyway if that makes sense Good luck
I used to use 30lbs PP and one of my Stradic spools is still spooled with it.(.28 diameter).The .23 diameter at 20lbs is also great as is the .19 at 15lbs but even though these lines are great and trouble free things have moved on with technology etc.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Keith, any idea where can i buy some YGK 1.5.PE.?
Also what knot would you use too attach your flouro leader?
Is a locked albright still suitable?
Cheers Nath.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Cheers Nath.
Other than Japanese sources, no.
**** is out.

Albright ?

I moved away from it so can't comment as for suitability on YGK's 8 strands.

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
To join or not to join,,,,yet?

I to have a need of some expert advice on braid choice. I,ve just managed to unpick an almighty birdie, which was about 60yds down the spool and occured 2nd cast last night.
It's the first problem that I've had for about a year using braid. Stren ultraglide coat has been my first choice I prefer to use 20lb but was using 16lb at the time.
I've not yet switched to the short rod style and yet to get into SP's the reel is a stradic gtm 4000.
I don't have a clue as to what pp's are or their advantage, any help and advice ready to be taken on board......apart from the need to carry a spare spool !!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Cheers Nath.
Nath, I've been using both the Toray FO saltwater highpower & YGK G-soul ultra for all last season, not troubles with the locked albright yet, but then I'm not catching loads of fish to try the knot on ;)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I have the 1.5 YGK coming this week, its very expensive compared to most braids and you have to be realistic sometimes. If you get the chance to have feel of it or even cast it then do it, like I said in an earlier post, if you can get some then get it, I have never felt anything that comes close. Strangely it was designed for egging, but man it is unreal.

I havnt used the Yamamtoyo but my mate Nelson is using it, he says its amazing for feeling the lure working, he recons he can feel when he has a Zonk working at its optimun retrieve rate as it vibrates a certain way. For a 4 strand it does feel great.

My first use of 8 strand started last year with the Powerline Powershot, first spool lasted about a month before I had a huge birdy, second spool lasted about a week!! It put me off it but I gave it another chance, and this time after loading it properly it was and still is (6 months later) absolutely lovely to use, very thin, very nice to cast.

As for problems with line tangles inside the spool, I am convinced that they way I now load braid, especially 8 strand, by loading from one reel to another, running the line on very tight with the drag of the other reel, I have had no problems in months, the line that is underneath the line you generally use is like concrete, its solid, no loops or loose line can squeze out. Someone on another forum once said that isnt a good way of loading braid as its on the spool too tight, well sorry but thats wrong, it works perfect and I havnt suffered from any wind/loose line problems at all.

We must always remember that even old faithful Fire Line used to catch me shed loads of fish for like 10 years that was all I ever used. I moved over to Power-Pro and soon realised it was unbelievably better that Fire Line, it lasted, didnt seem to soak up water and make the surface lures sink, it didnt need reversing after a month and it didnt frey like a pipe cleaner. Being very happy with Power-Pro I only moved onto Japanese 8 strand because I can, its in my shop, I gotta try it. But there is nothing wrong with any of them if you are happy with what you use and dont thjink changing your line will catch you more fish. Food for thought though, I have just loaded my spare spool of my Rarenium with 8lb flurocarbon straight through, and I havnt used mono for lure fishing in 15 years!!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
After using PP myself, I took the plunge and got a spool of the 20lb 8 strand Varivas Avani off ****, and love it. Very silky, and casts like a dream. Some people say it breaks though ... hoping it doesn't, but only used it twice so far. I wiill keep one spool for 8 strand and the spare for 4 strand (Yamatoyo 20lb)

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A really honest post. Nice one ****.
Keith,when I was a child I was utterly terrified of "Big bad Jake" that you now have as your avatar.
When Captain Pugwash used to come on I as a small child used to run upstairs and have knightmares about being hunted down by Jake.
Even now I jumped when I saw the picture as I havn't seen it for decades, LOL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts