The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys bother with a swivel on the clip? Does it make any difference apart from the line twisting.

Just bought some new clips and going to try them "direct" rather than with the swivel on.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Used to always use the JB type clip but towards end of last year switched to Illex Hyper 8 clip....personally I think the action is better without the swivel. Cant knock the Hyper 8 either for strength..have yet to have one open on me.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
I use the swivelled type clips at present, Andy apart from the line twist prevention, i suppose the only difference maybe the added weight. What affect the extra weight has, could be minimal?

It would be good to get some various ideas on this one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Some fish don't like being caught and rotate when being reeled in, I don't fancy twisted braid on my reel so I will stick to using swivels.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Have mostly always removed the swivel as unless its the BB type they dont work properly when under tension etc.
Those JB types are great,just remove the diamond eye swivels.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I've given up using swivels now, they're just another knot to go wrong. And with the trend towards longer leaders they're just not viable IMO. Like Nick says, an ordinary crane swivel won't work under tension any way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I stopped using clips or swivels alltogether and started using rig rings in combination with split rings on my plugs.

Nicked the idea from the Japanese when I saw how they attached assist-hooks and leaders on a solid ring clipped into a split ring when speedjigging. Simple, effective, saves weight and also forces you to refresh the knot when changing lures (an aspect often overlooked).

P.S. I leave the rig ring and split ring on the plug off course. All my plugs have such a split and rig ring combo, I use (small) rig rings because they don't sell solid rings in such small sizes in Japan. (Solid rings would be better though).

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Iv'e got some of them in the small size,their good as are the ones that Monster sell .
I also have the 'V' snaps from decoy,,,,,very good and strong due to the design.

I was using the Size 3's recently when i caught my pb. They are rated to 70lb, but i was very glad to have a clip on that i was completely confident in. I've since picked up several more packets of them in a range of smaller sizes to trial. They are more expensive that some other clips out there, but i have far greater confidence in them than anything else i've tried (i also trust the JB's, but the clip is too small to use Jig Heads, and i find that the shape/design can restrict the movement of plugs with bibs (e.g. Zonk))

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I stopped using clips or swivels alltogether and started using rig rings in combination with split rings on my plugs.

Nicked the idea from the Japanese when I saw how they attached assist-hooks and leaders on a solid ring clipped into a split ring when speedjigging. Simple, effective, saves weight and also forces you to refresh the knot when changing lures (an aspect often overlooked).
Indeed - tropical lures n jigs we only use rings as you need the strength!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm a big fan of removing as much hardware from the leader as possible. Most of the time we're fishing in clear water so minimising the clutter at the front of the lure has to be a benefit. If it wasn't such a ball ache tying new leaders onto PE line I'd tie direct with a loop knot unless the lure requires that a clip be used.

I'm not convinced that swivels help line twist anyway, especially the non ball bearing variety. How much torque does it take to get a swivel to spin? Way more than is generated by a twisted line. If it gets to the stage where the line is twisted enough to turn the swivel then the swivel ain't going to save you.

Most of the lures we use these days don't spin so line twist shouldn't be an issue unless you have a reel with a really terrible line roller system that keep all the twists in the front working section of line. Most new rollers allow the twists to pass which means they never build up into that horrible birds nest mess we used to get when fishing mono and in-line spinners.

Also, the limpness of braid means that it doesn't suffer from twist in the same way as mono. Mono becomes unuseable, with braid you shouldn't really notice the issue.

OK rant over, just not a swivel fan!

·
Registered
346 Posts
A few very good points there, I do find that sometimes the swivel causes problems, like plug hooks catching on them when casting, I'm going to fish without swivels next time I have a feeling a plug will swim better anyway.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How can you say that more fish will be caught without clips?
gut feeling? proven research? some guy in the pub told you?
I could say that more fish are caught using clips, without clips you aren't likely to change lures and use the same one for hours, however the 10 seconds it takes to change to a diiferent plug that might work better could be the difference between catching or blanking.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
How can you say that more fish will be caught without clips?
gut feeling? proven research? some guy in the pub told you?
I could say that more fish are caught using clips, without clips you aren't likely to change lures and use the same one for hours, however the 10 seconds it takes to change to a diiferent plug that might work better could be the difference between catching or blanking.
Because ....

They throw most plugs way out of balance. Doesn't matter if you are just chucking and retrieving.
Added weight away from a plugs point of balance decreases it's fish luring ability (in stops, pauses, rising, sinking etc)

Based upon years of catching quite a few fish both with, and without clips and, witnessing bait fish and lure behaviour 'underwater'.

How long does it take to tie a knot ?
Controls automatically, the need for fresh leader.
Every time you open and close a clip, you weaken it.

I don't make statements without backup or proven results.
If it's a hunch, or theory, I'll say so.

Even the use of heavy FC leader affects the attitude of the lure on the pause. The only fish I've seen at rest tail up is small Pollack.
In clear water, presentation matters. Counter weighting the rear of the plug to offset the drag down of the FC might seem anal but it happens and, it does affect catches. Parallel suspends are far more effective (again, based on catches, not pub talk).

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's all about avoiding hardware at the front of the lure. Would you present a single maggot on a size 18 to 1lb hooklink using a clip? To make it easier to change hook sizes? No, because having the great big clip there ruins your presentation and presents an unnatural image to the fish. Granted that is an extreme example but having a clip on the front of a 2 or 3" (or bigger) lure creates the same effect. Baitfish don't have black wires sticking out of their heads.

Having a disproportianately large clip at the front of a lure can effect its balance and how it fishes. In some cases you need to use one because the manufacturer designed it to be used with one but in most instances tying direct with a loop knot enhances the action.

Tying a new lure on with a loop knot takes seconds. The difference may be marginal but why not make that improvement if its within your power to do so?

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's all about avoiding hardware at the front of the lure. Would you present a single maggot on a size 18 to 1lb hooklink using a clip? To make it easier to change hook sizes? No, because having the great big clip there ruins your presentation and presents an unnatural image to the fish. Granted that is an extreme example but having a clip on the front of a 2 or 3" (or bigger) lure creates the same effect. Baitfish don't have black wires sticking out of their heads.
And baitfish don't normaly have trebles sticking out of them, if I was a fish the hooks would be the first thing to put me off not the tiny link, and i'm pretty sure that no fish makes a rattling sound .. but that's another time :wink:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts