The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what your views are on the best method of lure fishing from a kayak. Last year I mainly trolled about hoping to cover as much ground as possible. This year I am thinking if I would be better picking a spot and spinning from a fairly stationary (drifting) position. Or probably a combination of both?

Any thoughts?

Phil Vivian

·
Registered
229 Posts
I only troll whilst paddling back uptide to do another drift. But thats only because I tend to fish quite tidal areas where drifting and casting at structure produces the goods.
I do quite well with the trolling but it can be a nuisance as I tend to end up where I started when I catch something!

Strangely, lure fishing at anchor, apart from for wrasse, has largely been a waste of time.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I haven't fished from a kayak, but I have had success on my mate's 14' open boat. All our fishing was on the drift, casting at all the structure and likely spots. For me this is much more targetted and engaging than trolling.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I haven't fished from a kayak, but I have had success on my mate's 14' open boat. All our fishing was on the drift, casting at all the structure and likely spots. For me this is much more targetted and engaging than trolling.
I dont fish from Kyaks but I am with Griff on the entertainment factor. I do around 70 percent of my fishing from small zodiacs, often casting at shallow structure on the drift where no "propper" boat would dare to tread and no shore angler can access. Myself and my regular parter is bass harrassment, Julain Fox ,consider trolling to be a cardinal sin (however we have both resorted to it on occassions!). From a Yak I appreciate there is much time spent paddling and getting back to the beginning of your drift as opposed to gunning the engine and flying back at 20mph and I too would resort to it I am sure, but only like Dicky as second line way of fishing to pick up an extra fish or two before casting too the best structure.

Regardless of slightly elitist ideas of what is enjoyable and what is skilled, its more likely you dont have to paddle over the fish if you cast to them rather than drag plugs behind you. A friend of mine told me how he was fishing the shore and one of his Yaking friends was afloat on the water. The shore fisherman was doing quite nicley with a steady catch of 1 to 4 pound fish. When his mate paddled past infront of him on the way aroound it went dead for 20 mins or so but then picked up again. 90 mins later the kyaker passed by again and the same thing happened. It could have been chance alone, but my friend had a theory he believed the dark shape passing overhead spooked the bass as they instinctively reacted to it in the way they would to a seal or a dolphin. Its probably insufficient evidence to be considered proof, but its food for thought perhaps?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Matthew
I'm not sure that I am going to buy in to your seal theory.
There are too many videos on You - Tube of free divers in black wet suit spearing bass, for me to think that bass would be worried & go & hide for half an hour after a slow moving sky blue & pink kayak had passed overhead.
Plus I have hooked bass within 6 feet of my bright red two man kayak whilst my other half has been paddling.
However I prefer fishing on the drift as opposed to trolling.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Matthew
I'm not sure that I am going to buy in to your seal theory.
There are too many videos on You - Tube of free divers in black wet suit spearing bass, for me to think that bass would be worried & go & hide for half an hour after a slow moving sky blue & pink kayak had passed overhead.
Plus I have hooked bass within 6 feet of my bright red two man kayak whilst my other half has been paddling.
However I prefer fishing on the drift as opposed to trolling.
Nigel, as I said it was someone elses theory not my theory. I am not convinced either but given the choice I cant see passing over the ground you want to fish before presenting a lure there is going to be advantageous. Also (to take it further off topic) I once caught a bass just after a seal had dived down 30 years infront of me and I had cast in its general vacinity, there was a period on no more than 3 seconds that seemed to last forever before I was sure it was a (7lb) fish and not a 200lb mammal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I have trolled for bass in Ireland with friends on another boat (a 15' open boat with 8hp outboard) and have had great success at a slow rate which should be easy to replicate with a yak. We have had two boats taking turns going over the same section of coast and caught fish after fish on both boats which took turns in going up tide. For what it is worth the most effective lure was the good old Rapala Sliver 13 - they may cast like a toilet roll liner but they certainly do the business in Cork!!! :). Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for all your input. My best sessions last year were when I drifted over a ledge using freelined livebait (am I allowed to mention live bait on the lure forum??) If I can save time from catching live bait and replicate using lures or SPs then I could be on to a winner. I think a combination of trolling and casting is the answer and I'll let you know how I get on during the year.

Phil Vivian

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
ooooo live bait! oooooo (only kidding!)

I tend to troll if its a big paddle back up the drift - otherwise I find it simply isn't worth it messing around and getting setup ...

I tend to fish over features on the drift too - you can concentrate more on fishing too when you aren't paddling!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Phil

there s not a best method for kayakfishing I think. Depents on so much more as the tactic.
The most of the time in the kayak I spin with lures for bass. Sometime around the bottom with softbaits like GT Delalande and otherwise with hardbaits from Rapala/Illex.
Trolling between spots it's a good way to fish when you travel! That's for sure. If you like to make meters in your kayak trolling is a good option.

Greets Bram

www.viskayaks.nl

·
Registered
623 Posts
For me trolling has produced very little. I have opted more for fishing on the drift where most of my fish have been taken. One thing I find is as I generally fish topwater wtd lures is it's better to study the water and watch for signs of bass i.e. ripples, sandeel being harassed or any movement and cast over it and draw the lure through it. Casting "blind" will produce fish in areas that make you think fish will be there but taking time to just sit and watch pays off too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've tried trolling a lure, but I've never caught anything apart from a ton of seaweed! Like others have said, I sometimes troll when I'm heading back uptide for another drift and maybe it spooks bass, etc to see a little fish swimming effortlessly back uptide too. I did read this somewhere at some point but I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hi i have tried both and now never bother trolling best to target an area on the drift , had good results .always found that trolling was a lot of hassle for little return ,if you plug an area and concentrate your paddling on getting from A to B you will have a more rewarding time.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Interesting feed back regarding this trolling lark !!!.....I have a uncle who is a Commercial fisherman and makes a living catching Crabs and Lobsters and at certain times of the year will catch Bass and Pollack by trolling Red gills behind his boat which are attached 18ft poles, the method is called "whiffing" it is a very crude method but he does catch a few fish when they are there,and all the under sized fish are returned unharmed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would always throw a lure behind me and troll it behind the yak about 40 meters or so behind me, trying to keep the lure well away from the yak so as not to scare any fish.

after 2 years of trying though it was only last week that i finally caught something, all be it only a mackeral on a feed shallow. that being said i did see a pike come clean out of the water last year and swipe at my float when float trolling

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was wondering what your views are on the best method of lure fishing from a kayak. Last year I mainly trolled about hoping to cover as much ground as possible. This year I am thinking if I would be better picking a spot and spinning from a fairly stationary (drifting) position. Or probably a combination of both?

Any thoughts?

Phil Vivian
Hi Phil

I assume you want to target bass.I think the majority of kayak fisherman at first want to cover ground which is good exercise but not very productive.Rather paddle out to good ground and make every cast count.It doen't take long to find those areas where fish are likely to be, at certain times of the tide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts