Tools | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Tools

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by {name}, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Snapper

How much do you need to spend on tools for tying?
    I've been looking at the Dr slick stuff and it looks the business but it is a little expensive, there's lots of stuff on ebay but I reckon that could be crap??
    Any recommendations on Bobbin holders, thread (or whatever you call it), scissors etc
    I've watched a few you tube videos and they don't seem to use that many tools i.e. hackle pliers, tweezers and stuff, so is there much point buying all that guff?

Cheers

2. Striper

Chucking fluff around? Might involve hooks smaller than a #10 mate. Your rep would be in tatters. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snapper

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pollock

they all have a time and place mate the tools and price thing is personal i use dr slick and stonefly but i tie a lot and they are nicer in the hand to start off all you need is:

bobbin holder
    whip finisher (get used to using one takes practice just asj nick rowe pmsl)
    scissors
    hackle pliers

bobbin holder buy a decent one saves cutting through thread a lot whip finisher i have a spare i can give you scissort go to a chemist and but toe nail scissors very very sharp fine point and cheap hackle pliers are all the same by and large hope this helps mate

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bass

Lee

I have tied flies for many, many years and the above mentioned tools, as described by Mike, are all you need, but if you intend to do it seriously, buy good quality. I would recommend that you buy a decent pair of scissors SPECIFICALLY for cutting feathers and threads only, NOT wire or tinsels, etc. buy a cheap pair for that. Incidentally I have had my 'good' pair of scissors since the early 1970s.
    I don't fly fish anymore but still tie a few jigflies. It's very satisfying catching a fish on something that you have created.

David

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pollock

i will second David on the satisfaction :)

7. Chub

As Mike mentioned, the Whip finishing tool is very useful indeed :-D (but you can finish it by hand if you're patient)

I'd add a bobbin with a drag facility as it's a pain learning to get the tension right so that you don't snap the finer threads midway through tying a fly/jig..........

8. Sea Trout

I know a few tools! :-D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pike

Lee, what are you looking to tie?

Trout?
    Swff?

10. Salmon

Make sure you buy a ceramic bobbin holder - the metal tubed ones tend to be too harsh on thread and the they don't cost that much but you wil really value the benefit!

For the rest get a tool kit which while it will include a metal tubed bobbin holder, is not a waste for the metal one is useful for tying with wire such as when tying pheasant tail nymphs using copper wire instead of thread.

This is a good value one and I still use all the tools provided: http://www.sportfish.co.uk/sportfish-premier-tool-kit.html?gclid=COmRo-zz1MECFYXJtAoddmkAlQ ;-)

EDIT: just realised this is quite an old thread but the advice remains the same!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Striper

I got a Veniards kit about 10 years ago for Christmas. Something like this - http://www.sportfish.co.uk/veniards-premium-fly-tying-kit-fly-tying-vice.html?gclid=CjwKEAjww8eiBRCE7qvK9Z7W_DgSJABfOjf2NiNUPVh9jQYWj_5aRKVRGascHAiaXXWgfNlOzSecnRoCv4Dw_wcB
    The tools were all functional rather than flash. However, still using the original vice and tools. Did get myself some new scissors (dr slick) after first set got blunt; and a bobbin holder so I can run 2 threads at once.
    Im a bit of a tart normally but I just can't justify spending more on tying until at least I retire, spend the money on the best hooks and materials.

• Like Like x 1