The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly a big thank you to all those who welcomed me to the forum last week.

Those who read my introduction willl know I am returning to bass fishing and my old haunts in Cornwall after 20 years away but have previously only used the old bubble float and red gill/live sandeel approach.

Anyway, I have sneaked out 3 times in the last week or so just for two hour practice sessions at 3 different old marks, 2 south coast 1 north. I have mainly been using surface lures while I work out the lay of the land.

I am pleased to find that there are still bass there but I have not been able to catch them!

Each time out I have had several big swirls at my surface poppers but no actual takes.

Exciting and very encouraging but what am I doing wrong or is it the blazing sunshine???? They are definitely bass, I have seen a couple of them clearly and they were decent size.

I have changed the retrieve, changed the lures and gone sub-surface but still no hook-ups. Virtually all the interest has come to the yo-zuri mag slider in small mackerel (which casts best of the lures I have in my armoury) when static.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Let it drift with the current and just give it an odd small twitch.
OR,
Try a "walk the dog" retrieve, with gentle action from the rod, basically just enough rod action to make the lure work.

Trying the same marks at first or last light should also increase your chances.
Good luck, stick with it, if your getting boils then you are really close.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Hi, try a different style of surface lure, maybe a super spook in choppy water or a silent walking lure when its calm, slow it all down if you are slightly fast. If you are getting boils and no takes then try a lure just under the surface, if you havnt got any ultra shallow lures then just hold the tip of your rod high and get a medium diver to swim shallow, and remember to stop the lure as well as twitch it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts