The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That top water lures, designed for "walking the dog" etc have such fancy and ornate decoration on their backs when they spend most of their time either laid flat on the water, or rolling a little from side to side? Are these gorgeous patterns and shiny areas there purely to hook the angler or do they genuinely serve a fish catching purpose? After all, this really "pretty" area of the lure is only really seen by the angler, the gulls and the sky.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good question Andy, and probably because of the reason you mentioned. But also fish may be high up in the water and can see the top sides of the lure. And walk the dog lures also pop under the surface from time to time on retrieval. Also the colour on top often helps the angler to spot it in the water.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I can't help thinking that if the gulls show interest then any nearby fish will see them diving as a sign of potential food nearby, that can't be a bad thing (unless a gull gets a bit more than it bargained for!)

·
Registered
773 Posts
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Most of my surface lures will sit tail down when I pause the retrieve. Any pattern on the back/top of the lure is going to be fully visible to any fish homing in on it when its paused like this.[/FONT]

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't help thinking that if the gulls show interest then any nearby fish will see them diving as a sign of potential food nearby, that can't be a bad thing (unless a gull gets a bit more than it bargained for!)
LOL, If you could see the colour of my local waters lately Chad, you would then realize that the only a bass is going to see a gull (diving or otherwise) is either by use of a periscope or jumping clear of the "soupy" sea, to have a look around.
Mind you, for those lucky enough to NOT be fishing is such muddy water, then yeah, you may well have a good point there mate :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
The lures do twist in the water on the retrieve (or they should do), and of course there is refraction. I believe it does make a difference - but not much.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Worth noting that most baitfish don't have much in the way of pattern on their undersides either, that don't seem to put the bass off though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Been using the megabass anthrax lure, which fishes on its back. It has a fin on a swivel that stops it flipping over. Though have to say it has caught me anything yet apart from the attention of a few Turns.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Its a very good question, but I do think with the rolling effect so many wtd lures have, then a bit of the sides do slightly show to a fish nearby. And as someone mentioned many do sit tail end down when worked slow or stopped. In Guenrsey many anglers swear by the Cotton Cordell Pencil Popper with the blue back, but in Jersey we swear by the black one one.....it boils down to that confidence thing again I suppose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
here,s another point worth a mention.
my favourite wtd lure is the chart\yellow backed patchinko, but as its getting well chipped up i thought id take the chance when in weymouth for the festival to replace it and try a different colour, then it struck me -they all look great but how am I going to see them when fishin them?.
this may be going about things the wrong or even lazy way but one of the best things about the bright yellow patch is that its so easily seen by the angler! which makes it easier to use, also i get probably 20%of my hook-ups from fish which have followed and hit once i,ve stopped retrieving when shes tail down in the water, making me think the yellow may even trigger a strike?
ironically, my best fish, the one in my avatar came to a mackerel gunfish which is also very "chipped up"!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Topwater US Bass pro's swear by top colour but generally in choppy water as the top colour is refracted under the chop.

Personally, I'm not big on colour for Bass as long as general rules are in play. However, recent experiences with Wrasse and Eging are showing me that colour CAN have a dramatic effect under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Simple,there are two stages to an effective lure.

First stage is actually leaving the shelf in a tackle shop.The better it looks to us the more we want.

Stage two:If it catches a fish or two bonus,got to be the fancy markings on the back.:-D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I tend to agree with Keith, action over colour for bass,
However this year the bass have shown a marked preference for two colours in my favourate topwater lure. These two colours are at least twice if not three times more productive than the other colour I have. Bothof the good colours are translucent, and the other colour is a solid colour-why that makes a difference when the bass are more than happy to take solid coloured sub surface lures. I have no idea, but the bass definately know what they want.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sorry Guys, wasn't trying to be secretive.
In my experience the 500G and the Cabot seem to have the edge over the solid colours.
Worth stating that others might have a different experience.

·
Registered
949 Posts
here,s another point worth a mention.
my favourite wtd lure is the chart\yellow backed patchinko, but as its getting well chipped up i thought id take the chance when in weymouth for the festival to replace it and try a different colour, then it struck me -they all look great but how am I going to see them when fishin them?.
this may be going about things the wrong or even lazy way but one of the best things about the bright yellow patch is that its so easily seen by the angler! which makes it easier to use, also i get probably 20%of my hook-ups from fish which have followed and hit once i,ve stopped retrieving when shes tail down in the water, making me think the yellow may even trigger a strike?
ironically, my best fish, the one in my avatar came to a mackerel gunfish which is also very "chipped up"!
Cheers Matt,
A few weeks ago I bit the bullet and got a Patchinko and a Z-claw, both with the dayglow yellow backs but with silvery sides and white bellies. As I bought these primarilly because I wanted them for fishing at range, or when casting into a headwind, when its more likely to be rough, for the reasons you point out I went for colours I could see more easilly. To date I have caught diddlysquat on the claw (now relegated to my rucksack), and I have had 1 missed attack and one swirl to the Patchinko. I am therefore developing a complex about the loud dayglow yellow putting the fish off, even though I can see them really well at range. Perseverence is neccesary I think, and I am still trying especially with the Patchinko. In fact on the last session I fished the bass were very scarce, I had a good swirl under the Patchinko, about 20 yards out. Not an attack, just a good swirl, so I imediately switched to the smaller and very lifelike IMA skimmer in a very lifelike looking pattern, 2nd cast over the same area it got creamed by a 3lb'er. My take it on it was the Patchinko brought the fish in close enough to promote some interest, but didnt fool it, but the IMA being more realistic did the job. The water was very clear mind.
Who knows what goes on in the mind of a bass?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Sorry Guys, wasn't trying to be secretive.
In my experience the 500G and the Cabot seem to have the edge over the solid colours.
Worth stating that others might have a different experience.
Those two colours have killed for me and my brother recently.
We had ten each today me on a 500g asturie and Bob on the same lure in Cabot.
The water was like gin and I think they just look super natural on the water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts