The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a matter of interest, what rods would you recommend in the price bracket of £200-£400 for working surface lures up to the full size Patchinko weight?
I would like some feedback on rods that aren't just red though as I would like to save up for something a little different maybe?(no disrespect to the red rods as I use to own one once-they are great rods but it wasn't for me).
Rods between 7 foot 6" and 9 foot are my choice for topwater.
I currently use a 8'6" Shukan for this method but may want to upgrade in the future.
I use a 7'7" Lucky Craft ESG2 2.6-23g for small top water lures & sp's and it is a very impressive rod. I like the shorter handle, looks and feel of the rod, but the tip folds on larger baits and wouldn't dare use a full size patchinko on it. I don't think the 2.6-30g version would be much more different?, but if it is then let me know as I do like the Lucky Craft and it has really growed on me.
Feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
My Illex Vale Tudo H is pretty good but heavier than you need at 10-60g. I use it for BIG softies but I was chucking a zonk today no problem and the patchinko flies. Fairly stiff rod but loads of feel. Maybe the Vale Tudo M would be better?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nigel,
I have the 9'7" ESGII 3-30g, It works both the larger and smaller patchinkos beautifully, however the larger patchinko is very much the upper end of this rods casting weight. No matter what it has printed on the blank, So it loads deeply when casting hard for max distance. The Frosty however REALLY flies off this rod.
I have a Daiwa Morethan Demon Blood rod coming, which I have tried already, and it totally blasts the larger patchinko out (25-30% further than ESGII!), but until I have had a play with it, can't comment on how it works topwaters.

Another rod that I think is incredibaly under rated is the Tenryu Super Distance, might only be 8' something, but it will REALLY cast 30g lures well. Very different action to either the Rod Bars or SuperMixes. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My Illex Vale Tudo H is pretty good but heavier than you need at 10-60g. I use it for BIG softies but I was chucking a zonk today no problem and the patchinko flies. Fairly stiff rod but loads of feel. Maybe the Vale Tudo M would be better?
Thanks Andy, I was hoping someone would give me feedback on the Illex range. I will look into them

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nigel,
I have the 9'7" ESGII 3-30g, It works both the larger and smaller patchinkos beautifully, however the larger patchinko is very much the upper end of this rods casting weight. No matter what it has printed on the blank, So it loads deeply when casting hard for max distance. The Frosty however REALLY flies off this rod.
I have a Daiwa Morethan Demon Blood rod coming, which I have tried already, and it totally blasts the larger patchinko out (25-30% further than ESGII!), but until I have had a play with it, can't comment on how it works topwaters.

Another rod that I think is incredibaly under rated is the Tenryu Super Distance, might only be 8' something, but it will REALLY cast 30g lures well. Very different action to either the Rod Bars or SuperMixes. Worth checking out.
Thanks Dave, I do like the ESG's and was thinking of maybe a 3-30gramme version in the 7'7". The patchinko's would be the heaviest I would throw at em anyway so it is an option.
Roughly how much is the Daiwa? I read on a thread that you have one coming, do they make them shorter as most of my work is topwater and over 9 foot is a little too long for me personally?
I will look forward to your feedback on the rod in the near future.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nigel,
Daiwa Morethans start from about 8'6" but they are mostly lighter in casting weights than european rods. The Shooting Star is 8'6" 10-28g, as i said they are a different action, lighter in the tips than most european rods. So until I have had more of chance to work a varity of topwaters I can't say exactly how they compare to rods we know better.
Price wise they are around the £350 mark, depending on the model.
If you like the shorter rods, seriously try and get your hands on a Super Distance, I wanted a longer rod-better suited to my fishing. But if I was going for a shorter rod. The Super Distance would be my first choice.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Nigel, I purchased a 8'7 Lucky Craft ESG II about six weeks ago after Dave Irving put me onto it in a previous post. I went for the 3 to 30g version as I also wanted something good for top water work. What swung it for me was reading Tim Harrison of Seabass Safaris write up on the Monster Tackle website blog, for those that know Tim or have been out with him his preferred methods are all top water. This is the link;

http://blog.monstertackle.co.uk/home/category/sea-bass-safaris

I've only been out for two sessions so far but this rod has blown me away, I have tested my entire lure collection during these two sessions and have to say I'm very pleased. The feedback through the rod with Gunfish and Sammy's was superb and I feel much more confident in slowing everything down. I have also tried a couple of Patchinkos and they felt just as good and cast like a dream. If you fancy meeting up in South Wales (The Gower or Pembs) your more than welcome to have a play. I will also be heading down to Weymouth in a couple of weeks if that would be easier, perhaps we could persuade a few others to head over for a mini bumble. :idea:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Nigel, I purchased a 8'7 Lucky Craft ESG II about six weeks ago after Dave Irving put me onto it in a previous post. I went for the 3 to 30g version as I also wanted something good for top water work. What swung it for me was reading Tim Harrison of Seabass Safaris write up on the Monster Tackle website blog, for those that know Tim or have been out with him his preferred methods are all top water. This is the link;

http://blog.monstertackle.co.uk/home/category/sea-bass-safaris

I've only been out for two sessions so far but this rod has blown me away, I have tested my entire lure collection during these two sessions and have to say I'm very pleased. The feedback through the rod with Gunfish and Sammy's was superb and I feel much more confident in slowing everything down. I have also tried a couple of Patchinkos and they felt just as good and cast like a dream. If you fancy meeting up in South Wales (The Gower or Pembs) your more than welcome to have a play. I will also be heading down to Weymouth in a couple of weeks if that would be easier, perhaps we could persuade a few others to head over for a mini bumble. :idea:
Thank you John, a very kind offer. I know what you mean by easier to slow things down, through my feedback from my lighter ESG2.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tenry Red luck Top water. Awsome rod for surface lures.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't look like I have many options on my upgrade in the future at the moment:
Tenryu Super Distance (8'2") or Red Luck Top Water (7'2")
Illex Vale Tudo (?)
Lucky Craft ESG II 2.6-30g (7'7" or 8'7")

Tried getting hold of the guys from Monster Tackle today to discuss how much different the 3-23g I have is, compared to the 3-30g version but nobody answered. Anybody on here got both rods maybe you can tell me the difference in feel and please don't say the obvious 7 grammes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nige...... I'm havin' a little think......

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I do not know if this helps I have 2 Tenryu top waters Great rods extremely light and responsive, I use to suffer bad tennis elbow both owing these rods but are well balanced and excellent to use. I also use mine for soft plastics and not just topwater lures

·
Registered
51 Posts
Top water rods

I realise that you gave a price band but I own a morethan branzino 762 HXHFS Tidebreaker Custom. The rod is 7ft 6ins long and rated at 14g - 56g, very slim, very powerful lines 25lb, will cast live prawn and work surface lures equally well.I used it on a trip to florida were it bullied big snook and redfish. In my opinion it is a fantastic fishing rod and will do everything required of it and although it is expensive it is worth every penny. I obtained mine from Veals mail order!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Tried getting hold of the guys from Monster Tackle today to discuss how much different the 3-23g I have is, compared to the 3-30g version but nobody answered. Anybody on here got both rods maybe you can tell me the difference in feel and please don't say the obvious 7 grammes!!!!!!!
They would have been at work Nige

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Doesn't look like I have many options on my upgrade in the future at the moment:
Tenryu Super Distance (8'2") or Red Luck Top Water (7'2")
Illex Vale Tudo (?)
Lucky Craft ESG II 2.6-30g (7'7" or 8'7")
Have only tried the Tenryu Top Water and it was a peach. I am a sucker for 7ft rods now though, they just seem to balance so well with a 2500 or 3000 size reel.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have used the RodBar in the 270 length for top water plugs and its brilliant,,,,,,,,BUT not as good (in my opinion) as my new RLSD.
For me the bar is too powerful.
The RLSD is the correct length (in my opinion) for working top water plugs as they are meant to be worked,and 'for me' its the best plugging rod that I have ever used or held for our UK lure fishing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts