The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right, where do I start :-?:-?

In bed at 11.15pm, up at 1.30pm to meet Nathan for our 5+ hour mission to the far S/W of Wales :-o

Yep, very tired!!!!

The company and new friends I made from the weekend was well worth the travels though!! Honestly, an amazing bunch of lads who I learned a lot from, and enjoyed spending time with. CHEERS FELLAS!!!! :-D:-D

On arrival, due to the weather conditions etc, plans were made to hit the Pike from the local stomping ground where the lakes have apparently been throwing double out left right and center! I like the sound of that!! I've never caught a Pike before, not really fished for them either to be honest but was more determined than ever to bag me one of these babies after the effort put in to get there!!

After setting up and spreading out amongst the pegs, i was fishing with a real top bloke who I unfortunately forgot his name :geek: Sorry mate, but so many new names to learn it's practically inevitable! After chatting about what the Pike like, who's been catching and where, he was kind enough to let me borrow one of his lures.... and am I glad he did!!

After moving from the first spot and walking a few pegs down, we had a spot with easily enough room for 3-4 people to fish from, real comfortable conditions if you ignore the [email protected]@dy rain!! After a few casts and admiring the action of my new borrowed lure, next cast and....BANG :mrgreen: 1st Pike on, happy days!! I couldn't help it but play the fish for a while, and due to not being able to control my adrenaline, messing about with it in the water, she jumped and spat the lure :cry: Gutted!!

Nevermind though, plenty more fish in the sea..uh..lake!!

I heard cries from my left that pike were being landed, from the right but just couldn't seem to connect for now, so time to watch and learn. After some great advice and tips from Si during a half hour Bass hunting session between lakes, Cheers buddy, I'm raring to go and find the one that got away! Moving from the first lake to the second, Steve encouraged me to jump in his place on his peg, and work my magical wrist action to see what comes up :-?;-) Again, cheers mate!! Im real glad you did!! :mrgreen:

After around 6 or 7 casts, i noticed some bait fish action on the surface to my right, right next to a promising looking patch of lilies! Straight out goes the lure, a good distance past the disturbance to work right back through the middle. SPLASH, into Pike number two, and I was going to make sure this beauty didn't get away!! After a nice little fight where I had to turn the fish away from the lilly beds and weeds, Steve's son Adam kindly jumped in with his net to scoop up my prize :mrgreen: Cheers Adam mate, I owe you one!!!!

My first Pike .... or Croc ;-)

Think the smile says it all....

What a result, well chuffed!! And totally buzzing, practically shaking with excitement!! I was happy with my fish, whatever her size! She wasn't weighed, but people reckon between 5-7lb? :-D

I decided to watch some action involving frogs hopping all over the lilly pads, and otters swimming around for the next half hour or so (I'll let the other fill you in on the details as it's a bit of a story) and basically slacked off a bit from now, fishing a bit here and there but was starting to feel the need of rest, Pub.... and BEER :mrgreen::-D:mrgreen:

After a great night in the pub, with some nice food, drink, and plenty of laughs, I had to disappear early around 11.30-12ish as I was truly knackered from the days events and lack of sleep! Turned out to be a bit of a wise move as a few heads were sore and being nursed in the morning, (Hows your head Scott? :shock: Less ale next time mate!! :-D ) I can get carried away at the best of times but I wanted to catch some bass in the morning!!

Sorry if I was snoring when you got in Trev and Scott.... Nathan was when I did ;-)

After a much needed breakfast, and winning a nice bottle of whiskey in the raffle kindly donated by Trev ( Cheers mate ) it was off to mark number one. Don't ask me where we went, but it involved lanes that remind me of Cornwall, stupidly narrow and bendy, and ended up with a stunning result. The tide was at slack water, and the guys all spread out from the left to right, with Nathan already half a mile in-front of everyone with me hot on his heels.... think he has turbo's in his boots!!!!

We ended up fishing a nice little cove with a few big rocks infront of us, and after around 10 minutes Nathan lands his first fish of the day, a nice bass of around 2-3lbs. Result! Back she goes, and nothing more here but a couple of follows for me (Cant speak for Nath though, lost a nice one :cry: his story )

Back up the mountain like terrain to the cars, and a plan was made for mark number 2. After a short journey which involved a pasty stop along the way :-D we arrived at our destination, which again reminded me of home in Cornwall.... loads of tourists sunbathing in the cloudy weather on the beach ?!?! :-?

A little hike up the cliffs and around the corner, away from the crowds, we found the most perfect looking shoreline covered in white-water, rocks, and gullies everywhere! :-D HAPPY DAYS!! I practically ran down the cliff face, safty first in mind, and found myself fishing a swirling white-water gully section with nice looking features dotted around the place.

On around my 5th cast, my rod arched over and BANG.... here we go!! this one was a beauty, and I'm sad to say that she well and truly beat me!! We had a nice sociable scrap for around a minute before she took me around a rock, which was the last time we had contact :cry: Me and you have got unfinished business my girl!! She would of definitely been my biggest on a lure, if not full stop! I was cursing a bit, maybe a bit too much :???:

Nevermind, back at it! A few casts later and the rod arches over again, :-D all smiles again!! Quick little fight resulted in this little schoolie

I was happy again, and loving getting soaked by the swell lashing around the rocks :???: :-? Straight back in the same section, just fanning my casts around with different retrieves, and Bang, fish on!! :-D This one had more of a scrap in her, about the same as my Pike / Croc but half the size.

My face is hurting from smiling again, and I made a bit of a stupid mistake here to be honest that I'd like to also share with you; We all think it's funny to see a mate get a soaking from the waves etc, it's happened to most of us, but there can and have been not so funny sides to this, and I was lucky!! As I was tending to her on the rocks, I positioned myself with my back to the sea to remove the lure from her mouth. One of the first things my Dad told me when he took me fishing was to never have your back to the sea for more than a few seconds, especially in surf conditions around rocks!! As I was bend down in admiration of my prize, a HUGE wave pounded the rocks on the incoming tide, and drowned the back of my waders!! I was soaked, but hell of a lucky!!!! This could of been a whole lot worse, please learn from MY mistake!!

Anyway, back to the fishing. We were all spread out nicely, and Si was bagging up on Pollock and a few big mackerel just around the corner from me. I wandered the rocks for a little while in search of the beast that got away, but with the incoming tide, and my unfamiliar surroundings, I thought it was a good idea to head back to the pack, and learn some techniques involving soft plastics, and a little wonder invention that Si and Nathan were using.... again, their story ;-)

After some great advise from both Nathan and Si ( Cheers lads!! ) I hooked into my first Bass on a soft plastic, I was buzzing!

Don't worry, the hook isn't in the belly, it might look like it but believe me it wasn't, I made sure of it!! Just to show what it was caught on!!

So Bass number three, and three pollock to follow on Si's wonder tackle ;-) and tiredness started kicking in with the thought of the journey home, and the 5 o'clock alarm call for work the following morning back home in Cornwall :cry:

To sum up, I had an amazing time with some top guys I had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with / learning from!! Even if i didn't catch fish, this would of done for me! However, I had 2 first's myself!! :-D My first Pike / Croc :-D and my first Bass on a soft plastic :-D

Cheers again fellas!! I loved every minute of it ( apart from getting up for work like a complete zombie on Monday morning!! ) And cheers for driving Nathan!! God knows how you managed it!!!! Looking forward to catching up again soon at Weymouth!! All the best guys!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Superb report Mat !!! Thanks for sharing your account of the weekend :D. Im just so glad that you felt that the epic journey was worthwhile - & that you managed a couple of 1st's !!! Nice one mate, and i look forward to seeing you on a beach somewhere again soon ;).

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Superb report Mat !!! Thanks for sharing your account of the weekend :D. Im just so glad that you felt that the epic journey was worthwhile - & that you managed a couple of 1st's !!! Nice one mate, and i look forward to seeing you on a beach somewhere again soon ;).
Cheers Si mate! The journey was 110% worthwhile, I loved it! It's what fishing's about, I had a great time in all arenas!!

All the best bud, see you in Weymouth boyo ;-)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great report and pictures Mat sounds like you had a great time. Wish i could have made it. Well done.
Cheers Mike. Yeah it was a blinding time, hate to say it but you missed a good one mate!! Look forward to meeting up at Weymouth if your going?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Mat cant make Weymouth but will be at the November meet later in the year that Nathan's organising. Hope to see you there.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Mat and the pleasure was all ours :p This is the third Bumble and I am amazed at the distances people travel just to fish with us Welsh lot, we do appreciate the effort everyone puts in :p I may have let you fish on that peg but it was you that caught the Pike, well done, looking forward to Weymouth and catching up again :-D

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brilliant post mat, enjoyed reading that as much as you enjoyed your trip :clap::clap:
Cheers Iestyn, glad you enjoyed it!! Nice cover shot by the way, i got my copy today ;-) Shame you couldn't make the weekend, Nathan said you were a good laugh!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking post Mat :p

I am sure I speak for everyone when I say how much us Welsh lads appreciate the effort you guys put in to travel down to fish with us, Newtown, Lincoln, Watford and Darkest Cornwall, where will it end :wink: great to meet you and will catch up in Weymouth :p

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great report Mat and the pleasure was all ours :p This is the third Bumble and I am amazed at the distances people travel just to fish with us Welsh lot, we do appreciate the effort everyone puts in :p I may have let you fish on that peg but it was you that caught the Pike, well done, looking forward to Weymouth and catching up again :-D
Cheers Steve buddy!! It was definitely worth it, one of those memorable ones :) Cheers for letting me jump in your spot though, you obviously know where to go for them!! look forward to seeing you at Weymouth! Rest that knee too!! ;-)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well done Mat great report mate.....Glad you enjoyed it but I was never worried about that...these bumbles are great for meeting up with like minded people who just want to have fun catching fish........Oh and have a laugh and a beer or two on the way....Is that you hooked on bumbling as well now?? :wink:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well done Mat great report mate.....Glad you enjoyed it but I was never worried about that...these bumbles are great for meeting up with like minded people who just want to have fun catching fish........Oh and have a laugh and a beer or two on the way....Is that you hooked on bumbling as well now?? :wink:
Cheers Trev mate, glad you liked it!! Yes, 100% hooked!! Why is it that every part of this sport is the same, complete addiction!!!!

Look forward to catching up in Weymouth bud, hope your car isn't too poorly!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well done Mat great report and fish, glad the lure worked, I was determined to see our guest catch some crocs. The action on the savagear 4 play is superb.
Marc mate, how's it going? The man with the wonder lure!! ;-) Cheers for that buddy, and sorry for forgetting your name etc :-S You wasn't the only one though i can tell you!!

Cheers for the advise, it payed off for me in the end!! All the best mate!! See you in Weymouth??

·
Registered
843 Posts
Marc mate, how's it going? The man with the wonder lure!! ;-) Cheers for that buddy, and sorry for forgetting your name etc :-S You wasn't the only one though i can tell you!!

Cheers for the advise, it payed off for me in the end!! All the best mate!! See you in Weymouth??
All good Mat, I am not fishing Weymouth mate but may make a Cornish Bumble

1 - 20 of 28 Posts