The Lure Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sea temperatures are climbing (slowly), and a few reports have appeared of bass taken on topwaters. So when do the members start reaching for surface lure??? When do they start to produce???

I will admit that I am a topwater addict, love them. I can't wait to get my new baby Patchinko spanked!!!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Seen laods of bass the other night crusing on top of the water, think they would take a lure, they laughed at me and the 2 lads and went on by

·
Registered
687 Posts
have already caught using surface lures some 2 weeks ago(mag popper).been a few times since though & blanked!:???:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Swallowed a clown have we **** ?

Who would say that ?

Don't like TOPPING :shock:. No skill, diving 90% BETTER:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Sinkers:wackit2:and Suspend way better IMHO:-D:-D
****: Best topwater in Jersey. Less than average shore venue though...LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Never really worked for me until after mid August. Then (round these parts anyway) they will outfish anything else. No idea why!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I admit I cut my teeth on topwater lures and there is no better thrill than a bass splashing behind your lure. I have tried this season but no luck so far. Won't stop me trying! Keith - I can't disagree with you more. There is plenty of skill in working various surface lures. If it's not your thing, that's fine but plenty of us love it!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
you cannot beat plugging on the top for shear excitement ,seeing the fish hitting the lure ,some times several times in a row and as you start the retrieve again....... the will he,......wont he have another lunge? and thinking what should i be doing to get a hook up , strange to only like divers,bit like saying you are a fly fisherman and only ever use wet flies/sinking line and that dry fly fishing doesnt require any skill.....each to their own..........

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If I can sit right in the middle and guess where everybody is coming from...

Surface lures are loved because everything is so visual. Everybody agrees on that.

I think that keiths point is likely to revolve around the fact that when fishing surface lures, you have a lot less to consider - you're not going to get snagged almost whatever you do. So there is so much stuff you don't have to think about when fishing surface lures. You're fishing on the surface, so there are no options or thought processes when it comes to depth, snags etc etc. From a technical point of view I think I'd actually agree with Keith as generally with lures, the deeper you go or closer to the structure in front of you your lure gets, the more you have to consider and the more technical things become (fishing the optimum size jighead for example - light enough not to get snagged easily, but heavy enough to give you the presentation required to catch).

I'd have to disagree Trev in the comparison between dry flies and surface lures. I'm no fly fisherman but fishing a dry fly down a chalk stream is an art form because you need to allow it to trot superbly naturally down with the current. Any badly judged bow in your line or an unmended line from a gust of wind will ruin your chances (I've not fly fished but have trotted many floats down rivers). Working a surface lure back towards you on a tight line is a completely different ball game. They're both on the surface, but complete opposites.

For anybody fishing a surface lure of a sub-surface lure, the way you fish it should generally be the same. I think I actually read something of Keiths recently that talked about fishing sub-surface lures in exactly the same way as we fish surface lures. We fish surface lures with twitches, pulls, pauses etc etc etc - really varying the retrieve. If we think about it sensibly, that's exactly how we fish sub-surface lures too if we want to get the best results. There are a lot more variables when you get under the surface though, so admittedly it's not always a case of mixing up the retrieve like that - this itself is another reason why fishing sub-surface actually is more technical. How many surface fishing techniques are there? The skill is in knowing what to do when you see a fish.

I could list a lot more variables when it comes to fishing sub-surface but the fact is that it really doesn't matter. Surface lures are fun! We love to be able to see our prey and witness them doing the things that we just can't see them doing under the surface. Surface boys, please don't be offended by the above, just thinking rationally.

It's all about the fun, whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Actually Ben, I couldn't have written that any better.

Tim: Drill some holes in it... LOL
To set the record straight, I can actually fish topwater VERY well. But, I freely admit, I don't like it. I want to cleanly hook fish not get them smashed across the face with 3 trebles.
It's a personal preference and I can tell you all now, if we fished topwater as much as you lot all seem to think its needed, our catches would be a quarter of what they are annually.
So yea, you are welcome to enjoy it all you like. I'll stick to catching fish by using what works, when it works. And, if topwater IS the method, be sure, I'll be on it before you.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If I can sit right in the middle and guess where everybody is coming from...

Surface lures are loved because everything is so visual. Everybody agrees on that.

I think that keiths point is likely to revolve around the fact that when fishing surface lures, you have a lot less to consider - you're not going to get snagged almost whatever you do. So there is so much stuff you don't have to think about when fishing surface lures. You're fishing on the surface, so there are no options or thought processes when it comes to depth, snags etc etc. From a technical point of view I think I'd actually agree with Keith as generally with lures, the deeper you go or closer to the structure in front of you your lure gets, the more you have to consider and the more technical things become (fishing the optimum size jighead for example - light enough not to get snagged easily, but heavy enough to give you the presentation required to catch).

I'd have to disagree Trev in the comparison between dry flies and surface lures. I'm no fly fisherman but fishing a dry fly down a chalk stream is an art form because you need to allow it to trot superbly naturally down with the current. Any badly judged bow in your line or an unmended line from a gust of wind will ruin your chances (I've not fly fished but have trotted many floats down rivers). Working a surface lure back towards you on a tight line is a completely different ball game. They're both on the surface, but complete opposites.

For anybody fishing a surface lure of a sub-surface lure, the way you fish it should generally be the same. I think I actually read something of Keiths recently that talked about fishing sub-surface lures in exactly the same way as we fish surface lures. We fish surface lures with twitches, pulls, pauses etc etc etc - really varying the retrieve. If we think about it sensibly, that's exactly how we fish sub-surface lures too if we want to get the best results. There are a lot more variables when you get under the surface though, so admittedly it's not always a case of mixing up the retrieve like that - this itself is another reason why fishing sub-surface actually is more technical. How many surface fishing techniques are there? The skill is in knowing what to do when you see a fish.

I could list a lot more variables when it comes to fishing sub-surface but the fact is that it really doesn't matter. Surface lures are fun! We love to be able to see our prey and witness them doing the things that we just can't see them doing under the surface. Surface boys, please don't be offended by the above, just thinking rationally.

It's all about the fun, whatever you want to do.
yeah you are right actually, the fly fishing thing was not the best comparison even though thats what i started out doing 40 years ago, and yes diving lures require far more skill than surface with all the rocks and weed etc to negotiate , but i like the visual aspect of surface, and its what i enjoy, and thats what its all about !!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the Topwater season has finally kicked off for me, might not have been the biggest bass-far from it. But you have to love the take!!!
The Patchinko 100 turns out to be every bit as good as I thought it would be. It is going to be a VERY busy lure this summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts