The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Last Thursday I spent a fantastic day in deepest darkest Cornwall with Robert and Nathan of Bass Masters. Yupp, I paid my money and took my chance. What a brilliant day. I wanted to confirm to myself my level of expertise and competence as far as lure fishing for bass is concerned. To gauge this I thought it best to put myself in the company of two of Cornwalls finest rods. My school day started as soon soon as I met Robert at 7.45am and continued through to 7.30pm, as I gulped the last mouthful of my pint after a hard days rock hopping. In fact, having replayed the day over in my mind every day since, I am certain I am still learning, absorbing the info, like being on a slow drip!

The marks were brilliant and gave up bass and pollock all day. There were the two bass with shoulders that got away, but that's another story!!
All in all it was worth every last penny. I will do it again. Robert and Nathan were perfect hosts from start to finish. A sincere thank you.

STOP. BEWARE. There are dark forces at work down there in Cornwall. You should be aware that if you do go out with these two master rods, do not be fooled by the foootware. You may think the 200 quid plus Simms wader boots with butterfly studs is the reason they are able to apparently stick to the sides of rocks and negotiate sheer cliff faces without the use of their hands, and jump 8 foot wide gullies with their rods between their teeth. I have another theory. I believe they are genetic mutants. At some time in their ancestral past there was a relation ship between man and goat or sheep. If their Welsh cousins can do it, then why not the Cornish?!! Yes you got it, they have hooves, not feet. CORNISH MOUNTAIN GOATS.

Oh yeh and I tore my waders!! Anybody know where I can get a repair kit ????!!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great report Nick - sounds like you had a real baptism of fire. Yep, some of the lads are more mountaineers than anglers - I can think of another Father & Son team here in Wales that are much the same! (and I do NOT mean me & George!)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Ha ha! Great report Nick. I was lucky enough to go with Nathan, Robert and Ian earlier in the summer and can also vouch for their expertise plus you learn so much fishing with them. I also found some of the access a tad hairy but if a duffer like me can do it then anyone can! Just avoid the pavements (Nathan can explain!).

I will be back in September to pester them some more!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Nathan, what are you trying to do to me. I was juts getting over the mark at the point and you post the photos. back to be a dribbling wreck again.

Can you email me the photos of the day for my album? Thanks mate.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
When are you down? Perhaps we could double up and show those Cornish boys a thing or two!!!!
Great idea! I am flexible but i was going to do a 3 or 4 day visit some time in September and would be keen to show Nathan and team my knew skills! Especially as I had a mad one the other night and picked up around 18 fish which nearly challenged Nathans 23 (Speedo man!) albeit mine were all under 2lb. If you fancy doubling up drop me a pm and we can arrange something. Might have to be a beer or two on a challenge! Get your money ready Nathan!!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Andrew,

Avoid the 10th - 12th September as this is the weekend of the Weymouth Bass Lure Festival. Other than that any time. Name your dates and I will be there. 18 fish, That,s good going.

I have some great marks in south Devon if you fancy it. I spend the weekends at Bigbury Bay in a big static caravan . Caravans can be hired at good rates if you know who to ask!

I will have a fast boat there too shortly so we can get on a mark really quickly.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Cant wait guys, sounds great. September time is when the big ones will start to play, and boy do i have mark for september!!! oh ya!!!
Damnit Nathan you tease!!! I have to book something up. I will just see if Nick is up for a double up and I will call Iain and book something. Keep those marks warm for me!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Avoid the 10th - 12th September as this is the weekend of the Weymouth Bass Lure Festival. Other than that any time. Name your dates and I will be there. 18 fish, That,s good going.

I have some great marks in south Devon if you fancy it. I spend the weekends at Bigbury Bay in a big static caravan . Caravans can be hired at good rates if you know who to ask!

I will have a fast boat there too shortly so we can get on a mark really quickly.
Spooky timing! That sounds like a plan. Fastboat and Devon marks!!! Sounds like the beers are on me! I will pm you to save boring the rest of the guys.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spooky timing! That sounds like a plan. Fastboat and Devon marks!!! Sounds like the beers are on me! I will pm you to save boring the rest of the guys.
I will wait to hear and we will get some dates sorted. Nathan and Rob are always welcome in South Devon.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am in guys, let me know Nick
Will do mate. Did I not tell you about the RIB I am about to purchase! Oh silly me!! Both you and Robert are always welcome. I am waiting for the dates from Andrew regarding the Cornish session and I will then sort dates for the Devon fish. Bring it on. Plenty of space in my caravan if during the week in September as kids at school. Fantastic restaurant just over the hill. "The Oyster Shack". That ones on me!

Can't wait to sow you guys around my patch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts