The Lure Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on the forum near Torness Power Station or knows whether this is worth a session? I will be up at Seahouses from the 22nd for a week and fancied a trip out. Any one interested in a trip or has any information about the place please contact me or post here.

Cheers, Trev.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sad: :sad: That's me Billy no mates.....:cry::cry:

Should be an interesting session....never been before and no info just hope the weather is kind...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Tim. I was expecting this, Bass fishing with lures is not that popular OOP North. Probably because of the lower numbers of bass.
If anyone has any tips for fishing Power Station warm water outfalls they will be gratefully received. From Multimap Birds eye view the place looks very fishy and am told that it fishes all year round for Bass. Any way it gives me a chance to cast a lure and see what some of the new lures look and feel like on the rod. So can't wait....haven't told SWMBO yet but a half day of shopping in Berwick should do the trick. :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cheers Tim. I was expecting this, Bass fishing with lures is not that popular OOP North. Probably because of the lower numbers of bass.
If anyone has any tips for fishing Power Station warm water outfalls they will be gratefully received. From Multimap Birds eye view the place looks very fishy and am told that it fishes all year round for Bass. Any way it gives me a chance to cast a lure and see what some of the new lures look and feel like on the rod. So can't wait....haven't told SWMBO yet but a half day of shopping in Berwick should do the trick. :wink:
Trevor,

Coastal power stations are good fishing because of the warm water used in cooling entering back via outfalls, they also make good Bass nursary areas so check that there are no restrictions to fish there !

Good luck and please report back !

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi Trev

You are a bit early to be honest. The Bass haven't turned up yet and wont really until May / June. The Pollock and Wrasse probably won't be about much either. There will be a few codlings, coalies and flatties about though so you should be able to get some fishing done.

Torness will probably have Bass and I think you can get them year round there. It's not supposed to be the nicest of places though and is well known for people taking everything they catch to sell on to local pubs and takeaways. I've heard of people being threaterned for having words with people for taking undersized fish and cars being vandalised. There have even been stories of people getting abuse for returning fish as they see it as profit to be made and if you don't want the fish you should be giving it to them.

I haven't fished around Seahouses itself but I can tell you about a few places south of there.

Beadnell:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en....55267,-1.61911&spn=0.01641,0.038409&t=h&z=15

Water Water resources Natural landscape Coastal and oceanic landforms Beach
Deep gullies that through winter are good for cod and in summer produce decent wrasse and pollock. You would probably stand a chance oof a few codling here at this time of year but would be on bait. Can be dangerous in a swell and check the tide times as you can get cut off.

Embleton sands
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...98257,-1.60718&spn=0.016433,0.038409&t=h&z=15http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...2395,-1.624131&spn=0.016418,0.038409&t=h&z=15

Flatties at this time of year but I've heard of schoolies on bait in the summer. I haven't lure fished here as I tend to stick to the rock marks. May be worth a shot in the rips.

Dunstanborough castle and craster.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...3912,-1.594563&spn=0.032877,0.076818&t=h&z=14http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...4714,-1.588383&spn=0.016438,0.038409&t=h&z=15

Deep water round the back of the castle can be good for pollock and wrasse in the summer, usually better when the mackeral turn up in June. Very heavy gound so expect to loose gear if bait or lure fishing. Will probably be very coloured here at the moment.

Alnmouth Estuary
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s....38445,-1.60836&spn=0.00824,0.019205&t=h&z=16

Decent flattie mark. Fished soft plastic here a few weeks ago for flounder and blanked but the last few weeks have been a lot warmer and the snow melt has gone so the river should be much warmer and the flatties should be feeding. You can get a few sea trout and salmon here if you have a license.

I'll PM you so Bass information as I don't want to post it publicly, but like I said they will be very very few in numbers at this time of year and you will do well to find any water with more than a foot of visibility.

PM me nearer the time and if I can get out on one of the weekends I may pop up if you fancy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete,
That's brilliant and thanks for taking the time to help me with the maps and photo's. I've been up once previously and appreciate just how good the scenery that's reflected in the photo's really is. You'll have to drop me a line when the Bass start to come in and we'll have a trip out together if you like. I travel a lot of miles in the car so a 3 1/2 hour trip isn't a problem. Maybe even arrange a trip across to see our Welsh friends some time.

As for the problems at Torness thanks for the heads up, I have met a lot of people like that in my time, damned morons. Sounds to me just the place for one of the local Fisheries officers to patrol, preferrably with a big stick and a van to take all the confiscate gear in. But the cinic in me thinks that because these guys are threatening no one would dare do anything...I hope I'm wrong. Anyway thanks again Pete.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We still have a Luce Bay trip to organise as well Richie.....Don't forget to give me a call when you want to have a trip..............:-D:-D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just so people are aware. Torness is a Bass nursery area but at present has no protection laws. It may be a good idea if you are fishing the area to switch to single hooks and debarb them. The fish are often very small here and anything you can do to give them a chance. This nursery will no doubt feed the local populations so looking after it will benefit everyone.

If you see illegal fishing at Torness I saw some info on reporting it on another forum. Might be worth doing this rather than directly confronting people as there have been some nasty stories:

Quote "If you want to contact us regarding a possible breach of fisheries regulations you should email or telephone our Operations Room, which is normally manned from 07:00hrs – 22:00hrs, on [email protected] or telephone 0131 244 6078. Officers there will be happy to take details of any potential breaches you have witnessed." End Quote

http://www.sfpa.gov.uk/addresses.asp...=addresses.asp has local fishery office contact details.

Obviously they don't promise to send a man straight round, they like all other departments have manning constraints, but all reports help increase their knowledge of what's going on and provide the potential to help build a case.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Just been reading the above comments, and we have exactly the same problems at Wylfa power station on Anglesey. Hundreds of undersized bass get taken from there in buckets, you get a torrent of abuse if you say something, and again fish wars have resulted in cars being vandalised!

Such a shame these people don't realise what they are doing to the bass around our coast!

·
Registered
656 Posts
me couldnt give a flying fuxx if they say out to me they be swimming with the bass..:muttley:.me and ritchie have seen it up at torness
and its a gisgrace what they take?:-( should see their faces when they see us tossing them bk in!!!!!! pickture it is then they come up to me and say why you tossing them bk for:mrgreen::mrgreen: and my reply is lv the sport and fight!!!!!! then they have the cheek to say ile have them off you what i catch and i reply plain and simmple and straight to the point ??? is piss off m8 catch your own i aint giving you under size fish for you to make a proffit:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Personally it's a place I hate fishing for bass. When they are around little skill is involved in catching them and with the vast majority of the bass being undersized little sport can be had on standard bass gear anyway. Also whilst there are a few decent folk who fish it they are sadly outnumbered by arseholes. Some of what goes on is quite frankly disgusting and the authorities, despite being informed of it, don't seem to be very proactive in dealing with the culprits. As a result I've made the decision I won't be fishing for bass there again.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Just been reading the above comments, and we have exactly the same problems at Wylfa power station on Anglesey. Hundreds of undersized bass get taken from there in buckets, you get a torrent of abuse if you say something, and again fish wars have resulted in cars being vandalised!

Such a shame these people don't realise what they are doing to the bass around our coast!
That place is grim and stinks of piss anyway.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
That place is grim and stinks of piss anyway.
It is Lee.

Not been there for 15 years or so out of pricible, but from the stories I've heard it hasn't changed one bit!

I used to go there bait fishing for the smooth hound and see buckets of bass being taken from there back then!

Lets hope that when they switch that reactor off the bass will move off to somewhere safe......if they get past all the illegal netters that are also there that is!!!!!!

Reactions: Paul Mouat

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Personally it's a place I hate fishing for bass. Little skill is involved in catching them and with the vast majority of the bass being undersized little sport can be had on standard bass gear anyway. Also whilst there are a few decent folk who fish it they are sadly outnumbered by arseholes. Some of what goes on is quite frankly disgusting and the authorities, despite being informed of it, don't seem to be very proactive in dealing with the culprits. As a result I've made the decision I won't be fishing for bass there again.
Yep. Fished it once and saw enough to make me not want to fish it again.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Personally it's a place I hate fishing for bass. When they are around little skill is involved in catching them and with the vast majority of the bass being undersized little sport can be had on standard bass gear anyway. Also whilst there are a few decent folk who fish it they are sadly outnumbered by arseholes. Some of what goes on is quite frankly disgusting and the authorities, despite being informed of it, don't seem to be very proactive in dealing with the culprits. As a result I've made the decision I won't be fishing for bass there again.
On the plus side, while the lazy bastards and nob ends fish places like that, they are completely unaware of and are completely leaving alone the better stretches of coast, that take more effort to fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts