The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neil McFarlane is over for the week so we met up last night. Took the to one of my hotspots with homemade lures HRF/LRF.

Quick preview as I will write up proper when I get to work... Need to go shower now.

5.11Bass.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Many thanks Andy for showing us round- what a stunning fish and place. I had not even tied my leaser before you had hooked it....WE enjoyed it very much and your site is great too.

Going to fish low up until we have to get back for dinner....

See you later in the week perhaps. Hi and thanks to JP too....

Neil

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a text from Neil yesterday morning that he had made it to the island and did I want to meet up. What better excuse do you need to go fishing!!?? Perfect excuse for the missus, she's not going to like this week, i'm out every evening other than Wednesday on fish related business right up til next Monday night.
Anyway, I suggested we met at mark X as the conditions looked good, tide and wind for a 9pm roughly start. I was out for a meal at the opposite end of the island, the equivalent of driving from Cornwall to Scotland, feels like that as well (you can tell i'm an islander!!).
I drove in just as two chaps were walking across and I figured it would be Neil so I approached to find out and sure enough it was Neil and his son Dan.
Pleasentries exchanged and Neil went to fetch the car closer to where we were actually fishing, I set up and showed Dan some of the lures I had in the van, rigging up the HRF rod with some home made beauties.
The mark was briefly explained, run of tide right to left, dead sticking and twitchy retrieves with the soft lures and light weights. I was ready to go so jumped down the rocks and got on with it while they set up their rods. Home made lure in pearl white, 3/0 offset worm hook with some solder wire wrapped round, about 2g I guess. First two casts and I knew there were fish there, could see movement and action in the water, third cast, dead sticking felt a tap, flicked the tip of the rod to set the hook and my shout went up for the net!! No net... It's in my van so the net is collected by Dan and a fine bass of 5lb 11oz netted, he ran hard and long heading deep and out to sea. Unusual fight for that mark, they normally just thrash about on the surface.
Another forum member JP showed up as we were landing the fish and said he could see the fish thrashing on the surface as he was driving in. Luckily he already knows the mark and I don't think we were seen. This mark is top secret urban task force stuff. Camo van needed really...
Fish dealt with, we got back to the fishing and there were indeed a lot of fish about, gars, macks, pollack and BASS!! Some nice ones seen as well and at times we watched open mouthed at bass chasing small baitfish across the surface for several metres before finally getting their dinner. Amazing to watch.
Dan hooked up a couple of pollack on the homemade lures and we were still seeing bass but not so many.
We had knocks, follows right to the rocks and bass thrashing at lures when they hit the water but could we hook another one?? Like **** we could!!
We decided to call it about 23:15 as I had to get up for work this morning. I'm sure they will go and try there again today and also a couple of other marks I suggested.
Bass eh!! More like mullet last night. Very very frustrating and hard to give up and leave them there.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Lovely bass Andy,
And on a home-made lure!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well done Andy mate, lovely fish. Still doing what you have always done putting visitors on the fish and taking the time to pass on info that makes their visit all the more worth while, Good on you mate :clap: :clap:

Oh and by the way where was the mark as i think it might be a good one for the comp this week :evil::evil::evil::mrgreen::mrgreen::-D:-D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Good going Andy, think the camo vans a good idea.Trouble with fishing on an island is its hard to keep your top spots quite.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tourist with cabin fever

2 nights left of the break so determined to get out there and have a go. I am losing on fish count to Dan so can't have that.

I gather Jersey weather is much the same?

Anyway, thanks again to Andy for friendly advice and I can vouch for the fact that those home made lures are very good. His bass wasnt a brand snob anyway !!

Still peeing down out there but wind has dropped away so I am taking Andys advice re a safe mark for me and Dan tonight. We'll wet the braid at least and it will save me a few quid on wine back here at the hotel.

****, great new avatar. Uncanny likeness, eh?...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope you find something Neil. it's not been an easy week weather wise, rain makes rocks rather difficult and safety first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Absolutely. My heart stopped when Dan took his tumble on Monday. Didnt lodge a report with fishing permissions officer either so I'm taking no chances now

Hopefully the lrf gods will bless us with a few knocks

I'll post whatever

·
Registered
43 Posts
The couch is the place to be today, ****. Either that or I'd be in your shop for some lure shopping..!

Weather is pants and I've packed up the lrf gear until the weather is a bit kinder. Seen some good fish being caught (pollack last night on live sandeel). Baitfish everywhere but high winds, squalls and rain is making it really tough.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts