The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if this question has been asked already, but I'll asked it anyway.
I have read the posts on here regarding Scents etc

As I understand it they are mainly used to make the fish hold on longer to the sp's once it has located the lure. (or am I totaly wrong in my understanding)

What I'm curious about is
Do people use scents to act as a trailing scent as well as the above ? If so how do they differ from the 'biting' scent. ie in making up and smell etc, do they work? and in what situations.

cheers in advance
paul

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it's because the fish hold on longer. At least that's what I find. I had a mackerel on the drop recently that swallowed an X Layer. It obviously meant to eat it.
Nick

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In general that is my experience too.
However: Fast water dropshotting where a fish 'might' follow up a scent trail is more than a feasible idea and one that has proven precedent (swimfeeders).
Thanks Keith
So if you were approaching the situation from that angle Keith ie 'fast water dropshotting' would you use a different scent/mix from the biting scent with a jelly type base,....... to more of an liquid base possibly to disperse further ( just a guess)

I understand that there are others on the forum who are into making up there own scents and have read the interesting posts submitted, wondered if they had any thoughts also.

Are there certain smells that work better than others, could they be dependant upon the time of year/day,what the fish are feeding on,weather/water conditions etc.... are there species specific scents

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'd go for a slow release water soluble scent.

As for certain scents ?

We are working on this but aniseed, coffee and crustacean works good.

Garlic has had very adverse results on the Wrasse IME.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts