The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a fan of too many treble hooks on a lure, so if I remove either the front or middle treble hook off a three trebled lure am I going to alter the action too much????

·
Registered
779 Posts
yes will probably kill the action on most lures imo

·
Registered
17 Posts
On certain occations it has worked for me making the trembles lighter in getting a more open action on the lure i havent ever removed so give us ur tryes mate!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I've been routinely changing all my trebles for Decoy Pluggin Singles (Mrfish). I wondered if they would change the action, so I tried a "trebled" Feed Shallow against a "singled" Feed Shallow. In a straight retrieve, they only difference I could see - I couldn't feel a difference - was a slightly wider roll on the single hook version. This I put down to the trebles having more drag, restricting the roll of the lure.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wonder if I removed a treble & added say a split ring it it's place to add a similar weight, or as you say Tim a single hook. I hate to many trebles as they can do some damage to the fish or me.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Just wonder if I removed a treble & added say a split ring it it's place to add a similar weight, or as you say Tim a single hook.
I imagine you'd need to add a few splitrings to make up the weight of the treble Nige.

I hate to many trebles as they can do some damage to the fish or me.
That's why I change them...

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I lent a Feed Shallow off Bob once and it had the middle treble missing. I didnt like the action and soon thought I should dig in my bag and find one of my Feed Shallows that I know would have all three hooks on it. In the ten minutes that I dwelled on getting mine out I landed two bass on Bobs......

·
Registered
949 Posts
Spot on **** - most of the time your average bass wont notice miniscule changes in action...but there again who knows what goes on in the mind of a fish.
Nigel,
I'm with you on this. 3 trebles on a lure is overkill imo. Now is a good time of year to experiment with your lures I reckon, by removing a hook, or say removing one hook and replacing the 2 remaining ones with heavier ones to compensate.
If you are worried about the action being lost by the extra drag from the front or middle treble for example, then why not just cut the points off the hook you dont want to get in the way and damage fish, just behind the barb I reckon.
Good luck with it...
Cheers,
Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts