The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents as I'm sure your all aware some plugs come with silver trebles some with black.
Does anyone know the reason for this?(I'm guessing it's down too cost)
I only ask as I need too change a load of hooks on my plugs for next season and wondered if it makes any differance what colour I use. I'll obviously stick with the same size of hooks as to avoid changing the actions but colour, does it matter at all?
Cheers Nath.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Nathan,

but colour, does it matter at all
A "Moot Point" (hook color).......have had the passing thought on this before.
As your aware "color" can indeed appear to play a role in predator attack.

Best guess is it "could" matter on the day? Perhaps white/silver trebles might give a white fin impression on the moving target for the predator? Red trebles "might" give the moving impression of red fin membrane on the moving target in freshwater?

If your going to change a load of hooks out anyhow, here's your chance to attempt to find out. If you have a few lures of the same, try the different hook colors?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Good question Nathan,
I am also about to source new trebles for next year ST46 or ST41, and some Decoys. Can't say I had noticed any difference between black and silver as far as catching bass this year. Maybe some else has some experience/knowledge on this-Would be interesting to hear.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the replies guys.
As you suggest I may put differant coloured hooks on the same plug and conduct a little experiment!

Any other thoughts anyone?

Cheers Nath

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Perma steel isnt too bad but it does rust eventually especially if you dont wash your lures. Tinned hooks seem to be the way forward, I personally dont like galanised much but thats probaby because I use to continue to use them even when they were starting to tarnish/rust and they ended up looking terrible. I am honestly not saying this because I sell them, buy them from whre ever you like, but Decoy YS-21's and Owner ST46 and ST56 are very hard to beat for strength, lightness, point keeping and corosion resistance. If you try and wash your lures after every trip, a set of these will last a season easily. I havent noticed any loss in action on lures that I have changed to ther Decoys as they are lighter than most hooks, ans as for wether silver or black is better.....I have never really noticed a difference. Alot of my Lucky Craft Flash Minnows, B'Freeze and Staysee's used to have black hooks, and apart from rusting quickly they caught me a shed load of bass back in the day. I do get a surge of confidence when one of my lures has new shiney hooks on though.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for that ****, informative as ever.
I'll be giving you a call in the new year too stock up on a load of new hooks and split rings, I don't doubt a couple of Asturies will find there way into the post too!
Cheers Nath.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nath, i caught my pb this year on a lure with 'Red' hooks, consequently, i have a large stock of them :p.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used red (bleeding) trebles in the states but never here for Bass.
Maybe it should be a three way experiment. Same plug, one kitted out with black the other with silver and then one with red.
Where did you source the red trebles Si, are they still top quality?
Cheers Nath

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've used red (bleeding) trebles in the states but never here for Bass.
Maybe it should be a three way experiment. Same plug, one kitted out with black the other with silver and then one with red.
Where did you source the red trebles Si, are they still top quality?
Cheers Nath
I got them from Samurai, and they are Owner Cultiva's (ST-46RD), and seem good quality. Havent used them extensively though.

Did you add those yourself Si? None of my Sasukes have red trebles and I don't recall seeing any (not that I look for lures much...)

This one came with Red Trebles already on.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alex, But wouldn't a dressed treble effect the action? Maybe for better , maybe for the worse?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Dressed tail hooks on surface lures are fairly common, it creates drag and keeps the back of the lure straight, handy for poppers and even walk the dog lures.

I tried red trebles years ago but found they rusted in one trip, has anyone found any that dont rust easily?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have some ST46 & ST36 in red, they seem to have lasted as well as the normal Owners do.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Watch the 36 though, definately a bit light for normal bassing, great for small lures though.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yeah, I will be sticking to the 4 and 5 sizes from now on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts