The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trebles........what's the point.......pun intended.

Your "T"'s and your "Y"'s

A manufactures' "con-job" or a sound theory.....and any practical trials undertaken over a period of time......or perhaps this is just a plausible "con" to get folks to buy more than one sort/set of trebles for changing out/rigging hooks on their hard bodied lures?

"T" Trebles for rigging along the belly of hard bodied lures and "Y" Trebles for the tail end.

Any folks really undertaken a significant "trial" along these lines? I can't say I have really noticed any difference, nobody gets a 100% hook-up rate.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I find that the long slender plugs like Patchinko and Cordell PP suit the 'T' profile very well,,,,,,,I like them.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Would agree with you Pete they destroy fish barbed or debarbed, might try single hooks on one or two of my surface lures next year to see how things go....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about ditching the trebles in favour of singles, may save a bit of damage to the fish.
I have thought of this too... i crush the barbs on trebles but for c&r a single would be better... would love to see a trial on it first though!!
What about the lure action though?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Great post Al, I know first hand your preference for singles on lures. Anyone who says they never drop fish really must have the midas touch but one thing that is beyond question, and I know you'd agree with, multiple numbers of trebles on lures whether T or Y do damage fish, especially small ones, which can suffer very bad mouth injuries in particular. While fishing in locations where there's a better chance of connecting with something big, I have always fished with the mentality of keeping my lures armed to the max, thinking in terms of the more "points" the better, in the hope that when that biggie hits she stays hit. Perversely there are valid arguments about debarbed hooks and even singles giving you a better chance of achieving and maintaining a strong hookhold, but who knows eh, I've never seen any evidence to convince me one way or t'other. Mike Ladle did a great talk on circle hooks a few years back and presented very convincing trial evidence from commercial longliners not only on their effectiveness compared to traditional J hooks but how using a snell knot further increased hookup potential.
If we could get similar evidence for singles on lures then that would be a tremendous step for our sport....but as far as T's v Y's goes, I cant help but think trebles are on hard-bodied lures for a reason, and that T's might seem a bit gimicky but they do appear to present more pr1cking power than J's when lying flat against the lure, so surely are a good idea if you are arming to the max.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
There's only one way to prove theory if you are really interested and that's to try it...

·
Registered
323 Posts
on smaller lures say 5grm you can not get singles to sit properly those that take the single seem to catch allright but jumpers say good bye to often as for bigger
lures 80grm upwards fast retreve they work fine ie tuna samson fish king fish all game lures are single hook bill fish marlin as for circle hooks on small lures they are desinged for bait and no strike or speedsters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts