The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do a bit of fishing today just to try out my new Patchinko after hearing how good it is (from Henry Gilbeys web site), it's fragging AWESOME!!!!

I thought I was going to lose it on the other side of the river, I had to kill the cast a few times as the plug was heading over the river towards the branches on the river bank.

Normal when I fish there using poppers etc I only get 90% of the way accros the river, the Patchino will go clear over + another 15 feet !!!

How does it walk? well my wife is a dog trainer and even she couldn't improve how it behaves :-D
Responds really well to even a gentle twitch, even casting into the wind was impressive.

Only problem was ... it's too fish like, Gulls were dive bombing it, the faster I reeled in the more they liked it :shock:

I really didn't want my first fishing report on here to be 3 Gulls and a branch of a tree from the other side of the river so I decided I have practiced enough with it and packed up, can't wait till the water warms up a bit.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
They cast like bullets for sure, but I have to say I have done better on other surface lures. The gulls do like 'em though!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Pete,
Not sure what it is about the Patchinko, but bass love it, especially with a nice slow wide action. Love it for shallow water, at first light. Even if I don't get a hook up, bass always seem to give themselves away, boils, slaps, and splashes. And a quick recover with a different lure normally gets a hit.
As you say beats 90% of lures when it comes to distance, even on a windy day. Put it this way-I don't go plugging without at least one in the box. If you love the Patchinko, wait until you try the Z-Claw!! I find they compliment each other, some days one will out catch the other. But they are two of the best toppers going.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The Patchinko's older if smaller brother the Frosty is vastly underated. I have as many Frosties ("they're GRReat" LOL) as I do Patchinkos.

If you are worried about lure size but want that type of lure then think of the Frosty. The MkII is available in some stunning colours.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Paul, I have to agree.
when I first got the Frosty I was alittle underweldomed, however I think it just took a little longer to get in "tune" with than the Patchinko.
Worth remembering that in France the Frosty is regarded just as highly as the Patchinko, loads of pics on Peche au Bar. Of monster bass taken on the Frosty.
Great lure, and it will be on the sharp end, much more this year. Looking forward to using the baby Patchinko too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, after reading your posts I checked out the Z-Claw and was looking at the Frosty a few days ago but ignored it as I thought it wouldn't cast very far.
After reading your comments I will certainly give both of them a go.

Edit: Okay I'm faced with the part I hate the most, picking a colour !!
My patchinko II is black/silver, I have always thought that you couldn't go wrong with black but I have seen pictures of yellow Patchinko's with bass attached to them.
I was about to order the Frosty but can't make my mind up on the colour, maybe having anohter colour choice would be a good idea, any help?

(msg to wife .. I know I said I wouldn't buy any more plugs ... just 2 more) :wink:

Cheers.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Paul just wanted to say gld to hear you are in the patchinko fan club too. Thems my all time lure! Out of the 4 I have you can't go wrong with the yellow back White belly and mauve mouth colour pattern it's nailed more fish than any other I own and took my best fish last year. Gotta get a z claw to see if they wrk for me?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Agree with all the comments.
The Patchinko is the my No. 1 lure be it surface or subsurface, i chuck it 80% of the time i'm that confident in it. My two best bass have fallen too the awesome yellow back, clear sides white belly version (Bob's).
Never tried a frosty but might have too invest. When do people find they'd use a frosty rather than a patchinko? Is it simply when the bass are on smaller bait?
I got a Z-claw and a baby Patchinko for crimbo and went for a quick play last week. The baby Patchinko was great, cast miles for it's size and weight. It retains that easily acheived trademark patchinko walk and splash at fast and slow speeds. Can't wait too try it when the bass are around.
The Z-claw i can see becoming a favourite. Although i only had a quick play i can say it cast really well. Action wise it seems hard too pin down, it certainly like's too walk but it also dives just under the surface where it can continue too walk should you wish. It can also be pulled in a straight line with a nice splashing,waking action.
AS i say i only had a quick play but the Z-claw looks like it could be a good multi purpose surface lure, i think it could be great on flat calm days. It could take quite a while too fully master, fortunetly i'm happy too put the time in!!
Cheers Nath.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I wil have to wait for the Z-claw, Mrfish is out of stock :cry:
I just ordered the Xorus Patchinko II Ghost Yellow, not that there is any rush, the water is still too cold.
Just about to order the Xorus Frosty, still cant decide what colour :|

Thanks for everybodys input

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Guys what are the differences between the Patchinko and the Frosty - Is it just size and weight?
Is the baby patchinko the same size as the Frosty?
And whats the difference in price?
Just asking because I am thinking of treating myself to one new surface lure and one new minnow lure for this year...if I can get away with it. ;-)
Thanks...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've had Bass go at my Patchinko, but unfortunately am yet to land one on it . . . the Z-Claw on the other-hand is very much a go-to lure for me :wackit:!! I may start the official Z-Claw fan-club !!! Awesome lure (i'm up to around 5 colors in it now - and counting :rollineyes:!!)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Rapala,
Patchinko 2 140mm 27g £18.95
Frosty 125mm 16g £16.95
Patchinko 100 100mm 11g £17.95

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just had my baby Patchinkos delivered in Nacre and silver lemon, gorgeous - cant wait to try tehm out.

Dave - also had the Terrif DC9's delivered - they look fab as well so thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Decided to order the Megabass X-120 SW from Japan while i'm waiting for MrFish to get more stock in.
My wife asked how much this Megabass plug was, I replied 3,400
Did you hear her jaw hit the ground? :-o
I then pointed out that was in Yen. :mrgreen:

anybody here tried the Megabass X-120 SW?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Jon, wait until you see how the DC9 cast and swims!! Great lure.
Got to admit I am itching to get the baby Patchinko wet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got my 'Frosty' in the post, it's not much smaller than the Patchinko II, it's only about half a inch smaller but has a much thinner body, I thought it would be half the size. :|
Can't wait for the water to warm up a bit to test all this stuff.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have the Frosty in Baby Tuna and if the weather is calm enough it always gets a run out. It does well for schoolies but not had anything over a couple of pounds on it yet.

Just out of interest, are the Patchinko I's still rare as rocking horse dung or are they available again now?

Spend most of my days glued to tackle websites but NEVER seen them advertised. Got the sandeel colour but would like another....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts