The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thurs i went out on a recon with *bait* wanting to try for Triggers and Red Mullet at a mark that produced both similar time last year , I managed 2 triggers and one bream in a hour all returned

Now onto the Lures!

So know I knew the Triggers where there I went back yesterday with lures , had no clue what to try but thought small SP might do , put on a reins UV 3" shad and 5 grm head as that my smallest.

first cast let it hit bottom, let it rest for a bit then started slow retrieve , got a nice bite , then followed a fair few more knocks , continued to retrieve and looking down I could see about 6 - 8 triggers following my lure in what looked like a hunting pack formation - , left my lure in water a few of them hit again but no hoook ups and they swam off , lifted my lure out to see that the tail was gone and just a bit left on the jig head!

Was a great buzz to have that follow of the shoal of them, my m8 was next to me and seen also!

I stayed there for another 1.5hrs and stuck with same type lure but did change to watermelon colour and back a few times , I had a few more follows and knocks but no hook ups

I now really wanna catch one on a lure as just know its going to be great fun when hook into one as they are feisty buggers.

does anyone have any tips on these?

** apologies for swearing in the first few words of report ** ;-)

was unsure of where to post this so thought here , if not ok mods feel free to move to more suitable section!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great post. Hard lures, yes, I've done it. They really take a battering before the Triggers commit.
Soft lures ? Not done it yet so it's a big unknown.

Sounds like your spot might yield results.
Total deadstick or shaky might work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soft lures ? Not done it yet so it's a big unknown.

Theres a challenge for me then ;-)

The way they followed my UV shad showed they really wanted it , they have a smallish mouth kinda like bream so thats why I was thinking small sp/head

maybe going to head up there again in a bit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
did you get your hotspot pen in the end mate? they do work on the reins, maybe try a spot where the hook comes thru s.p might get them to chomp there, good luck nathan, ive never seen a trigger let alone hooked one, get some pics up if your successful

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice one Dave. How about a small sp (2" reins/ pink trout bait) on a short carolina rig, then you can scale your hook size down a bit further? Good luck at getting the hook back out though lol.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been out again and had a few knocks , but no follows to see what they where - I have had wrasse from the same spot so hard to tell really , tried the same few Sp's as before and a few plugs and some other Sp's

Carl - yeah I got my spike pens and tried today on reins Sp's , I spike most of my gobies and shads too - I'm hoping to catch one soon on lures so will defo put a pic up if and when I do, but not of a b**t caught one! - and I wish Nathan luck too whoever he is ;-)

Andy - I dint try as didnt have and have never done b4, this all a bit new to me so need to get some more bits in so can be a bit more versatile if needed.

Gary - Im going to get myself some 2" sp's incase its smaller they want, but my set up is HRF so dont want to small, what hooks would you suggest for caraolina rig as new to me also , have fished bigger Sp's carolina with weedless 2/O's but not smaller yet.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Maybe a size 6 or 8 carp hook, probably the 6 at first. Even with the HRF setup it's only the amount of weight that will make the difference, not the hook size.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe a size 6 or 8 carp hook, probably the 6 at first. Even with the HRF setup it's only the amount of weight that will make the difference, not the hook size.
Ok sound ta , and I was thinking weight when said HRF but then with carolina that wont make any diff.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Carp hooks are great value as well. Only about £1 per packet of about 8 hooks from memory. They're pretty strong as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Andy's suggestion of a stinger is good, it's worked for me on other species.Use dacron or heavy braid to the stinger,there more supple than mono so allows your lure to move more naturally.Good luck Dave hope you get one.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When out wading i have seen the triggers following the lure right up to me without any fear ,their take can only br described as an ambush as there is usually more than one .the small yozuri crystal minnow seems to work but there is a high %of missed hook ups .as soon as you feel a pluck you need to instantly lift the rod . I think the guys are right a stinger sounds the best option.

tony

·
Registered
129 Posts
Triggerfish are quite easy to catch.

I use small metal lures or casting jigs like the Viva Parade or Molix Jugulo.

Now, to hook them up, they rarely hook up themselves, they usually bite the metal and keep away from the trebles, what I do is to keep twitching the jig to make the triggers follow it, when they come near the surface I pull the lure out of the water except the treble hook.

They will keep bitting the lure and when there's nothing left they will hit the trebles.

It's kind of stupid but it's almost 100% hook up rate.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks, that method would help with the Sinpe. Had a nightmare trying to hook them on a Viva Parade last year..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Triggerfish are quite easy to catch.

I use small metal lures or casting jigs like the Viva Parade or Molix Jugulo.

Now, to hook them up, they rarely hook up themselves, they usually bite the metal and keep away from the trebles, what I do is to keep twitching the jig to make the triggers follow it, when they come near the surface I pull the lure out of the water except the treble hook.

They will keep bitting the lure and when there's nothing left they will hit the trebles.

It's kind of stupid but it's almost 100% hook up rate.
Very handy tip there Pedro,cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts