The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few hours to spare so i went fishing, Rockies on SP's is my default nowadays.

I've been searching a smallish area lately, maybe 600 yards of coastline and today was time to move round/over the headland to see what was there (well I know what's there but you know what I mean).

It looked nice:

Mark1.JPG

Had a follow from a rockie first cast but it was small and that was it, half an hour and not a touch is not promising, I then saw a shoal of large silver fish and put some lures in front of them, no interest suggested mullet and that was confirmed about an hour later round the corner where they were skimming.

I moved off round the corner as the above mark just didn't want to work and after a few bites I finally got a fish on which gave me the run around and went to ground, I kept some heavy pressure on to see if it would come out but it didn't so I tried the opposite giving it a few yards of slack and after a few moments I felt movement so hit it hard and pulled it free into open water again. Tried to go to ground again but I tightened the drag, the Yamatoyo PE#1 singing along with the drag on the Pfluegar.

Eventually got it in and netted easily.

Spotty Bob.JPG

I'm gonna call this one spotty bob. Beautiful colours and markings, look closely at the eye and fins, those amazing spots are even on the eyes.

Despite the fight, this one must have had his weetabix as it only went 3-12 on the digi scales. That 4lb barrier is hard work, this area has had me 7 over 3lb but only the one over 4lb at 4-7-8. maybe it's too shallow, the area pretty much dries at low water. Will have to start on a new area I reckon. I'll go down the breakwater and upset the feather chuckers by using a rod less than 12ft long with less than 6oz of lead and catch bigger fish than them i reckon!!

Anyway, i digress...

A few more casts having been forced to a higher vantage point and I had another take, different to a normal rockie bite as it was more of a pull and the fight was in open water as well, thought I might have a pollack or a bass but nope, it was a lazy rockie, about 3lb, not weighed.

Yellow Belly.JPG

Such different markings to the first but still beautiful.

I had a load more casts but other than a couple of bites no more fish hooked. last time on this rock I had 25 rockies but the tide was much bigger. Smallest neap we've seen in a long time. Guess we need a bit more movement in the water.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Awsome markings on those fish mate, plus a very fishing looking area. Very lucky chap having that so close by.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice fishing mate, that first fish has amazing detail. Such individual fish, never get bored of seeing them.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report again Andy and well done, Stunning fish those Wrasse :p

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Beautiful looking spot Andy. Re the little rod on the breakwater, I've had the same thing with fluff-chuckers preffering to watch me with my infeet than fish themselves. Obviously curious to see how my "kiddies rod" will handle anything bigger than a goby :muttley:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report and stunning fish Andy especially spotty bob........:wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts