The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a trip over to the Mull of Galloway last weekend with a few mate. The area is a bit of a fishing haven with loads of different ground to cover so the 6am start and the 170 mile drive was no problem.

Over three days we slept for about 10 hours total and got lots of quality fishing done. Dawn and dusk lure fishing for Bass, daytimes fishing for Pollock and wrasse on lures and bait on the deep waters of the Mull's west coast.

We had amazing weather with clear skies and high temperatures which got us all a bit burned and made some of the long walks pretty hard going but the fishing was definately worth it.

Out of the four of us I was the only one who had caught Bass on lures before but by the end of the weekend three out of the four of us had Bass and the other is determined to go back soon. The two guys who caught their first lure caught Bass are now asking loads of questions on which lures to buy and where to get them so I think they are now addicted.

No massive fish were caught, best was a 5lb pollock to my mate who missed out on a Bass, and a 5 pound 'ish Bass to one of the Bass lure virgins, which isn't a bad start.

Between us we must have had about a seventy Pollock, five Bass and a Wrasse. All caught on lures bar the Wrasse which was float fished ragworm.All good fun and every single fish returned safely. I know know a few of the marks there and can't wait to get out there again.

A Few photos:

One of my Pollock, two Bass and a Wrasse

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds like a great trip - glad the weather was kind and the fish were biting! Nice fish on the feed shallow too...

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Pete, nice report and pics and stunning fish, sounds like you had a great time !

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Sounds like a good trip Pete! Well done on the fish, and the first on here posted from Scotland.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice 1 lads, im parked at the spot now were your biggest bass is pictured, raging north easterly not looking good for lures
but it may clear up as it rises, going over logan tommora hope the wind calms down..had 5 bass in 1 session at this mark
last august....can't see it happening tonight though, probably a few beers and head down.....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well done - first Scottish catch report!

Good to see bass up there - water temps must be OK? or do Scottish bass tolerate colder water?
Water temp is about 12 at the minute but I think the area gets the tail end of the gulf stream so compared to back home in Northumberland the water is much warmer. There is also a hell of a lot more Bass there. Every year a good number of doubles are caught and I know of a few lads from Whitby getting a thirteen pounder last year on lures.

There is simply a shed load of fish there and loads of species. From Bass, Wrasse, Pollock, Tope, Smoothhounds, Thornbacks, Plaice, Conger, Gurnards........ and so on. My mate saw a sunfish cruising about at the weekend. I've not been to Ireland yet (going in October) but from what I hear the fishing is very much alike.

My mates are already sorting out going back in a few weeks, I'm off to France so will have to leave it until August or so but can't wait to get back.

Mike: Doesn't sound too good. We were lucky with amazing weather last weekend, hope you still manage a couple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No not too good pete but up here for a few days so all's not lost, had a quick pint early on, chatted to a guy
from down our end, there's been some nice pollock on the logan side.....
If this wind drops in the next day or two could be good, will have to dig some bait as well in case this surf stays up...
whatever happens it's great to be back up here, youv'e inspired me to persevere more with the plugs as i always give them
a quick go and end up back on the stingers or some metal or other, i must work on me patience.....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well done on the fish mate, thats a bass to be proud of for his first one. You getting about, scotland, france..............
Unfortunately France is supposed to be a family holiday, think there is eight of us, but I'm sure I'll sneak off for a few dawn and dusk sessions. From what I've read the fishing in the area isn't up to much but it's all worth a ago isn't it.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice one Pete....... Me and my lad have done the same a few times up there but haven't been for 2 years now...might have to change that as it's a cracking area.

Was your mates bass caught in Luce bay the area looks a bit familiar????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts