True super shallow hard plastics | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

True super shallow hard plastics

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Salmon

Basically I'm looking for suggestions for decent casting, true super shallow floating divers. I dont want anything that goes deeper than 18inches at the very most. I don't want to have to be sticking the rod tip right up in the air to keep a lure high.

When I fish plugs now, I find myself fishing very shallow ground, mix of sand and rough, so lures are often coming over the top of very shallow reefs, and I'm even sometimes using swell to carry the lures over obstacles that are sticking out the water.

Obviously surface lures will come into play, but I want to use these later in the year. The fish at the moment seem to be responding to subsurface rather than on the top.

I have been using mainly the Feed Shallow so far. The Angel Kiss, Chase, Maxrap, Tide Minnows, X120 etc are just that bit too deep diving.

Any suggestions please?

2. Tarpon

Soft plastic . . . weedles . . . . . you can chuck it anywhere ;).

3. Salmon

We all know how soft you've become Mr Lewis, and believe me, I'm all about the SP's weedless, but I want HP's in this case.

4. Tarpon

Pourquoi?

5. Perch

dorum . f tex. komomo sf 125. komomo 2. all very shallow.

6. Salmon

Because I need the range I can get with HP's. To get that kind of range with an SP, it'd have to be huge, or it would have to be loaded up with so much weight it would kill the action. Other way would be a bombarda rig, but as I'm mostly fishing at night, wading, its not easy casting an 8ft leader without hooking my ear. Also, with the HP's, I have been using the ebbing tide which is like a river in places to trot my lures as they float.

The main areas I fish are thigh deep and are that depth for hundreds of yards out, and no matter how quiet you are at night, most of the fish will come at range, away from my disturbance, hence the need for the potential casting distance I need.

7. Tarpon

Another thought from me in that case, would be the mighty Z-Claw. Casts miles. Keep your tip down, and she'll run just sub-surface, walking the dog as she swims . . . . . just a thought ;).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pollock

Dice Baycrap90 runs at around 30cm tip down medium retrieve, or slightly shallower tip up. Probably still a little deep though?

9. Striper

Hi Mark have you looked at the komomo 2 casts well dives no more than 1ft and has a great action at slow speeds.

10. Minnow

Try a Mega Bass Lates or a Megabass X-Pod (usually a TW -Lure, but in one or two positions of the lip it goes perfectly sub surface)

11. Pollock

Megabass Vision Oneten SW, Z-Claw, Zipbaits ZBL System Minnow 15 HD-F At 37.5g (this is the heaviest lure of its class that I know of.) , Megabass FX-9, Megabass Vision 100 SW, Duo SSR (Super Shallow Runner) Minnows to name a few. :-o

Regards

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  12. Salmon

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. Lets try and trim this down a little. A lure that will not dive deeper than 12 inches, ie 1 foot, or 30cm in foreign money.

I have tried from the Megabass camp: the DoRum, the Lates, the Vision 110 and 90. I have the x-pod but don't like it.

If only the SL-14 ran at 12 inches, I'd only need one plug!

13. TLF Super Poster

Another vote for the Komomo II here, my new fav lure, so versatile, fast speed slow speed surface work... really is a great lure

14. Pollock

Try a Zipbaits ZBL System Minnow 15 HD-F.

Regards

15. Salmon

Mark, I might have the answer here Just got a Shoreline Shiner R50+ SSR 120mm/15.5g/30cm MAX depth.
    It will be going for it's first swim later, will let you know how it looks.

16. Sea Trout

Komomo II gets my vots as well.

17. Bass

Tide Minnow SLD 125/145 fished uber slowly so that it wriggles head down and tail on the surface film leaving a "V" wake..... Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

18. Perch

Why not try a Dead Float its lite but will cast quite well you can see them on the art of fishing web site.

19. TLF Admin Staff Member

I know it seems heinous on such a quality HP but what about trimming the diving vane so it has less bite and runs shallower? Surely one of us has tried this?

20. Perch

What about the Tackle House K-Ten TKF-130? ... In Mullet looks good