The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Ok firstly, i am no computer guru. But, i see lot's of requests from people wanting to add pics & vids into their reports (particularly catch reports), and struggling to know how to do it. I've found out how to do it, so wanted to share my methods with you guys.

Firstly, pictures:

Ok, there are basically 2 ways of doing it. One way is to upload your pic into the forum using the 'Insert Image' command. You'll find that command in your tool box, as per the pic below (The Red Arrow points to the command that you need) . . . .

Simply click on the button, then click on the 'Select Files' button when it pops up, then select the photo that you want to insert by double-clicking on it (i'm assuming here that you know how to navigate through your folders on your computer to get to your picture file). You will then see a button that says 'Upload files' . . . click on that, and you should then see your pic appear in your post like this . . . . . P1000547..JPG

It's a small thumbnail pic that will display an enlarged image when the viewer clicks on it.

Personally though, i prefer to use Photobucket, and display the full sized image directly onto the screen. This is how i do it . . . . . . .

1. Firstly, you'll need a Photobucket Account. If you don't have one, go to Photobucket and register for an account (it's pretty straightforward, and free).
  2. Next, you'll need to upload your pics. That's pretty straightforward, as you'll see a big button on your Photobucket screen that gives you the option of 'Uploading' your pic.
  3. Personally, i always downsize my pics before uploading to Photobucket, as it speeds-up the Uploading process, and makes them easier to handle. To do that, i use 'Microsoft Office Picture Manager'. I compress them, and re-size them in that programme so that they arent enormous when posted into the report (I compress them to document size, and then re-size to 75% for those who are interested). This step isnt essential though, and if you don't know how to do it, don't worry about it, just skip it.
  4. Once your pic is in Photobucket and saved, it's then a case of posting the link into your report. I do it as follows . . . . . . . open up an additional Browser window, so that you have the forum open, and Photobucket open, and can chop & change between the two. When viewing the folder in Photobucket in which your pic is situated, look for the group of boxes underneath your pic, and right-click on the bottom one (it should say IMG code next to it) . . . as per the pic below (again, look for the Red Arrow) . . . . .
  5. Then go back into your report, right-click on the location in your report that you'd like to insert the image, and then select 'Paste'. So basically, you are just copying the link text straight into the txt in your report. The code from Photobucket should now appear in your post. If you then select 'Preview Post', you should see the pic displayed in full size, as per the pic below . . . . . .
  6. If you find that the pic is too big in the report, you can re-size the pic in Photobucket. To do that, select the 'Edit' command just above your pic, and follow the instructions.

Ok that should do it for the pics. If anyone requried any additional info on specific steps above, just post a request in the reply, and i'll try and post some more detail.

Now for vids.

Ok, i use YouTube for this, but i'm pretty sure that you can use Photobucket also. I'll describe the way i do it though.

1. Firstly you'll need a YouTube account (same principle as with Photobucket above).
  2. Upload your vid into YouTube - this can take some time.
  3. When your vid is in YouTube, go to the vid, then click on the 'Share' button (highlighted below). This causes a pop-up to appear just below the button, with a code. Right-Click on this code to copy it.
  4. Then go back into your report, and select the 'Insert Video' command, (right next to the Insert Image command) . . .
  5. Paste the code from YouTube into the box that appears, and then click on 'Ok'.
  6. Job done !!! Your vid should now be displayed in your report (click on 'Preview' to check that it's worked), as below . . . . .

Again, there may be bits that i have assumed that people know, that they may not. Equally, there are other ways of doing all of this - i have just tried to describe how 'i' do it. If i've missed steps out, or someone requires more detail on a particular step, then just ask, i'll try & help if i can.

I just want all of your catch reports to do your sessions justice !! Happy hunting guys !!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If any of the post above is unclear - please let me know - it's actually really hard to explain things clearly.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Si, that's a pretty fair effort - well done. That's exactly what I do although I am not resizing the pictures. Might be a good idea in future though as they have been a bit big in my last reports

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Cheers Simon.
Might I just add that it seems most firewalls will block photobucket so I've been adding them to posts straight off the hard drive (you also have the option to use the attachment facility after clicking on the 'go advanced' button.) Some proper camera pics might be a bit large (all but the more modern phones will be smaller (I saw a 12meg phone today! WTF?!)) but there's lots of free resizing sites e.g. http://www.picresize.com/ that'll do this for you if you don't want to use photobucket. These should be viewable to all (please correct me if not, no firewall here so I can't test it).

rsz_1rsz_tidalst&#11.jpg Can firewalled people see this pic?

:confused: And a question about vids for someone with more knowledge: can we download them straight from a hard drive instead of a you tube, facebook account etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
If any of the post above is unclear - please let me know - it's actually really hard to explain things clearly.
Simon

When I click the Insert Image button I only appear to get an option to enter a URL rather than select files, and it displays the image rather than a thumbnail, am I missing something?

Is there a maximum size image we are supposed to adhere to?

Glen

·
Sausage!
4,197 Posts
So whats the alternative for an i mac si,this got me head fooking bashed,when going to upload its saying its too big or what resolution ?whatever that means this our lass asking if was me ide just fling over cricket ground:rollineyes:

·
2,761 Posts
Use photobucket Richie.

1. Goto www.photobucket.com and signup - it's free.
2. Upload your picture to photobucket.
3. Copy the link for the picture in photobucket.
4. Paste the link into your TLF post.
5. Use the post preview button to check it looks ok (provides an opportunity to correct spelling)
6. Post, sit back and relax!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts