The Lure Forums banner

Twaite Shad 28/04/10

455 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave Fitzpatrick 
#1 ·
Had the first session of the season on a reasonably local river yesterday. I'm generally a sea angler and to be honest just couldn't face the winter months of constant pin whiting and tiny codling. Met up with Dave Fitz from the site to have a blast at some shad. Started fishing the rising tide and nearly got soaked when we got cut off but got the first fish of the season pretty early on - not the shad i'd hoped but what i think was a roach bream hybrid. My first hybrid on a lure - a blue and silver tasmanian devil.
Dave went on to get a couple of nice shad in quick succession and then a third later in the evening. I was starting to panic as it wasn't looking good for me especially when i lost one close in. Then finally success! A gentle enough take and the fish seemed to be coming in pretty easily when it realised it was hooked and went mental. Great but very nerve wracking fight. Fish went 1.5lbs, not huge but great sport on the new ugly stik lite matched to a shimano exage 2500 with braid and 8lb leader. class. pics to follow.....oh yeah, Dave got a fourth to finish the evening hammering me into second place. ah well, can't win them all. All fish on tasmanian devils

#3 ·
Ah I beat you to it Ronan

I'll email on the rest of the photos later.

nearly got soaked when we got cut off
Yes nearly got soaked:-D I wasn't going to mention that but I still don't know how you made it back across without getting completely soaked. It was a good session alright, I'll give you a shout if I'm heading out again.

#4 ·
Ah I beat you to it Ronan

I'll email on the rest of the photos later.

Yes nearly got soaked:-D I wasn't going to mention that but I still don't know how you made it back across without getting completely soaked. It was a good session alright, I'll give you a shout if I'm heading out again.
I really appreciated you videoing me on your camera as i swung out of the tree trying to get to saftey. I could almost hear you wishing i'd go in the drink :-D

#5 ·
I really appreciated you videoing me on your camera as i swung out of the tree trying to get to safety. I could almost hear you wishing i'd go in the drink :-D
Well when you asked me if I thought if the branch would hold your weight and I looked up to see you were talking about the flimsy twig you were hanging on to, I immediately thought this is going straight on youtube but somehow you managed to avoid ending up falling on your arse and getting a soaking.

Nice one Ronan. I could be wrong but arent those a kind of spinner lure that is shaped like a darts feather? Kinda triangle shaped?
Yeah thats the one James, there is some info here on how to rig them and the kind of thing.

http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/Tasmanian-Devil.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.