The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a terrible run of blanks this year from the shore and the weather stopping me from launching my little bathtub even once, with Wednesday eves forecast of a v light south east breeze for thursday i rang Nathan Bell who had been saying if i ever needed a deckhand that he would be more than happy.So the day dawned with a flat calm sea and we got afloat by 09.30 . We agreed on our first mark and chugged over. The water was crystal clear and flat calm,clear blue sky and the sun beating down.Nathan had arrived with his rod all ready to go and made the first cast with his new rudra on the end..........5 seconds of winding and ....bang !!! fish on , i was cursing that i was still getting set up and had to watch as his lightweight rod bent over hard.......i was looking at my lures deciding which diver to put on when Nath kindly suggested i could use his Zonk which would go further than anything i had and we didnt want to get too close to the fish,as i was clipping it on and his fish came into view Nath said " oh my god" or words to that affect , " theres about 30 bass following the one ive got on" , after netting his fish in double quick time, think it was about 3lb .it was only now that i realised that i had made the dreaded error of leaving my camera at home............ Grrrrrr .i finally got my first cast out and within seconds it was fish on but after 10 seconds it was gone, next cast again "whack" and this time i got it into the boat. Next in was Nath but this one came off , with conditions being so flat we decided to see if they would come up for topwaters,Nath hoped to christen his baby patchinko and out it went........as i was digging out ny dexter easy walker he had three swirls on his first cast but no hook up. Out went the easy walker three turns of the handle and........slam !! .... if felt like a better fish but after a good deal of deep diving ,head shaking and a thrash on the top the hooks parted company, out went the easywalker again and same again ....a great take on the surface, by this time we were giggling like little boys at our good fortune , Nath went back to a diver and it got chomped straight away so we were both into fish at the same time, mine was a very fiesty chap and made several deep runs and violent head shakes and decided it was going to the other side of the boat so with lines now crossed Nath had to pass his rod under mine to prevent a possible dissaster!! As my fish came in closer we could see it was only lightly hooked on the rear trebble so i released the drag a bit more and he went on another dive or two, Nath got the net out and landed a fish that had scrapped way above the 4.5- 5 lb we estimated as we had no scales and just wanted to get the next cast out as quickly as possible. It was all a bit of a blur and im not sure of the exact order of events ..........but Nath decided to feed them with a slug go and had two or three pulls on the first cast and then hooked a good fish on the next cast ,this was giving a really good scrap with his rod bent hard over but after a couple of minutes and with the fish in sight his rod suddenly went straight...............and the fish was gone, it went quiet for the next 5 mins or so and i changed to a dexter wiggle stick and hooked a fish on the second cast........unfortunately it broke free. We fished for another 15 minutes and it became evident that with the tide starting to flood that either the fish had moved off to feed or they had spooked with all the action.The score stood at 3 landed and 3 lost for me and 2 landed and 2 lost for Nath. We moved off to another mark which was quiet and then i spotted a large number of birds diving into the sea about half a mile out......it took a while to get there as by now there was quite a big swell and white horses which had been kicked up by a N Easterly which had not been forecast at all,we arrived at the scene to find manx shearwaters,guillemots,razorbills,terns,kittiwakes, gannets and gulls in a feeding frenzy, my first cast i managed to hook a shearwater and as we struggled to untangle it ,it threw up a load of sprat, and suddenly everything went quiet, the birds drifted off so we missed our chance of getting into the bass which had been pushing the the sprat up to the surface. After that we slowly trolled our way back to the slipway and half way back Nath hooked and landed his third so it ended a score draw, we had had a real blast and it went some way to make up for a very poor year in north wales so far.Nathan did manage pics of a couple of the fish , which he will add himself at some stage. Maybe i should forget the camera again next time out lol .Landing the boat was to say the least a bit rough and i got creamed by a big wave..........but i didnt care, i was still smiling over those 20 minutes we had.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Brilliant report Trev - your obvious excitment at the session came through very nicely :D. Gotta love finding yourself in a feeding frenzy !!

Looking forward to the pics :D.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Si , the fish we caught were not actually on the feed, but its a spot where they sometimes gather and rest up over low water before they move off to feed when the tide starts to run.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds a terrific session Trev. Maybe time to sharpen some hooks, eh? I know i need to ....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds a terrific session Trev. Maybe time to sharpen some hooks, eh? I know i need to ....
yeah Tim could be, although Naths Zonk was out of the box, and i had just put brand new trebbles on the easywalker after Steve Butler saying that a biggy "will" straighten the trebbles that they come with .....just one of those days i guess.....

·
Registered
949 Posts
Great stuff Trev.
Thats what the fishing should be like all the time, and thats why as passionate bass anglers we need to do all we can to try and get it there.
At the moment that means joining BASS.
Cheers for posting the fishing has been very tough of late...in fact the worst season I can recal on the bass.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Super report Trev, Felt like I was there with you, well done to you and Nathan :p

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Great report Trev! In work all day but I'll add pics later(there not great). I've got a little vid of one bass underwater too. It was a great day especially that first twenty minutes. I'll add more later, thanks again Trevor!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
awesome boys that makes me more determind to catch a bass well done

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just wanted to add that just after Nath had the last fish whilst trolling my phone rang and Daz (Darren Edwards) was on the phone asking "are you out on your boat"? cos i'm watching you right now from a house on the little orme where i'm working.....................small world innit.............

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
That was a top report Trevor. :clap:
Nice to get out in the bathtub too, I haven't got out in mine more than 5 times this year.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It was rather painful to watch trev....me workin...you and nath reelin them in.Carrying a bazooka in my tool box next time.......not jealous or anythin!A BIG WELLDONE GUYS,cheers daz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts