The Lure Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tied my own trout flies for years so am set up with all the tools etc but I am keen to tie some salt water flies, some for teasers for my pluggin and some for fly fishing.

My questions are these:
What do I need to consider buying in the way of materials to get me started as I'm guessing the 'standard' trout stuff will not be rugged enough?
Secondly what sort of hooks should I consider to get me started?

Thanks very much for your help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What do I need to consider buying in the way of materials to get me started as I'm guessing the 'standard' trout stuff will not be rugged enough?

Good saltwater bucktails .. Webby white saddle for Deceiver type flies and long thin saddles for flatwing type flies
Dumbel ltype eyes for clousers . 8/0 thread or Danvilles mono .. sparkly stuff is personal choice ..I like Mirage flashabou and mirage crinkle flash

Secondly what sort of hooks should I consider to get me started?.
Its a personal thing although weight of the hook can effect the balance of the fly in the water

I use Gamakatsu Sc 15's and Sl's for a lot of my flies .. some Tiemco's 600sp's ( very heavy hook ) and some Mustad C70sd's

If you give me an idea of what patterns you want to tie .. i'll post up a material list for you

hope this is of some help

Andy

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Keep any materials away from damp.

I lost over £2000 in materials due to it not too many years ago.
Will take years to recover from it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Keep any materials away from damp.
Yea and pet dogs too I had a hard won collection of bucktails eaten by my doberman, still trying to recover when i tie and that was several years ago....!

Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts