The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fair bit of ultralight kit already. Most of it has been bought abroad where the style of fishing is more accepted/practised and therefore the tackle is more readily available. Things like leadheads I have run out of some sizes, some of the braid is getting near to retirement, soft plastics have now moved on in design.
If for arguments sake we define ultralight as plugs up to 10cm or about 7gms, soft plastics up to 3in, jig heads to 7gms. Those of you that use tackle that is roughly in this ball park, where do you get it from?
Are we overstepping the mark in having a few retailers list that we can get this type of tackle ready for the Spring? Not just the items I have mentioned but rods and reels too. There are a few things I want this year but cannot find a source for them.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Reactions: Conor Hallahan

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have a fair bit of ultralight kit already. Most of it has been bought abroad where the style of fishing is more accepted/practised and therefore the tackle is more readily available. Things like leadheads I have run out of some sizes, some of the braid is getting near to retirement, soft plastics have now moved on in design.
I have various rods, 9ft 1/16 -1/2, 6' 6" fast taper one piece rods, an Injection, a Cormoran ULX etc..
I believe it will become more generally accepted especially if we did ultralite bumbling where the young un's
got introduced to lure fishing like they do in more established lure nations.

If for arguments sake we define ultralight as plugs up to 10cm or about 7gms, soft plastics up to 3in, jig heads to 7gms. Those of you that use tackle that is roughly in this ball park, where do you get it from?
I think that would be fair.
I've got alot of stuff sourced from the US, test stuff from a new UK distributor (good foresight) and some on it's way from Aussie land and Japan.

Are we overstepping the mark in having a few retailers list that we can get this type of tackle ready for the Spring? Not just the items I have mentioned but rods and reels too. There are a few things I want this year but cannot find a source for them.

Any thoughts?
Still searching but I have used Tacklewarehouse with great success. (you do need to follow a strange registration procedure but the service is good). MrFish is thinking ahead but he has little as I write this. That could have changed since I saw him last as he spent some time with a rep yesterday that MIGHT have some stuff worth aquiring. Obviously, **** has some good rods but not alot in the way of lightweight braid (yet).

AGM discount have been good to a few people with orders as well as myself. They have lots of discontinued and cheaper/perhaps harder to move colours at good prices.

But yes, we should form a list as tracking this stuff down, whilst fun, is time consuming and tiring to say the least.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Lure world, which sells the Dragon products probably, has the best selection of ultra light and light soft plastics and hard lures available in the UK. The Kopyto shad has since long been one of the most popular soft baits in Sweden

http://www.lure-world.com/

·
Registered
779 Posts
Look to the continent mate - my local shops stuffed with ultralight stuff - drop-shot gear being very popular - theres some excellent kit out there (especially the SPs - really small neat stuff)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Likewise with AGM, good range at some great prices.

Any UK company that can deliver to here next day is really trying at customer service IMO.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've just ordered a load of 7g stand up jig heads, and a few SP prawns... i've got a fair few grub worms (curly tail 3") but what would be the best to use with stand ups,, Cheers in advance.. "M"

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have done tonns of ultralite fishing over the years but only in fresh water for troot mainly and up in the Scottish Highlands.
I have probably over a hundred lures and plugs of this type and it is massive fun especially in rivers.
The main thing that you have to watch though is deep hooking fish.
This can be a big problem.
Larger fish tend to totally 'inhale' small lures and this is one of the reasons that I have never done ultralite for saltwater species etc.
Propper ultralite is with lures from 1g to 6 or 7g weight and some of my plugs are only the size of a 20p coin.
I have many ultralite rods from 5'6" to 7'6" and I use either a small Quantom reel or I have a pair of 2000 size Spirex reels.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Larger fish tend to totally 'inhale' small lures and this is one of the reasons that I have never done ultralite for saltwater species etc.
Whilst I do not doubt your findings at all Nick, this has not been my experience (except whilst deadsticking).

Nearly 20 years of saltwater fly, szes down to 18's, small SP's and really small mepps style spinners.
Tiny little vibration baits, in fact loads of small lures. never had the problem you are describing.

Sure, well inside the mouth with some frequency but with any danger, no.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that it won't happen but so far, not lost a fish because of inhalation
or any consequential damage caused by it.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Whilst I do not doubt your findings at all Nick, this has not been my experience (except whilst deadsticking).

Nearly 20 years of saltwater fly, szes down to 18's, small SP's and really small mepps style spinners.
Tiny little vibration baits, in fact loads of small lures. never had the problem you are describing.

Sure, well inside the mouth with some frequency but with any danger, no.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that it won't happen but so far, not lost a fish because of inhalation
or any consequential damage caused by it.
I mite try it in saltwater then.
Troot and Perch really inhale these tiny lures but I have no experience with the saltwater species.
I think I just assumed that with the size of a basses mouth then this may be a problem etc.
What about Pollack,have you found that they 'inhale' the tiny stuff ?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
With your experience of UL fishing I really look forward to your results Nick.

What would you target by preference ?

You are not allowed to say Bass btw.. LOL

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
With your experience of UL fishing I really look forward to your results Nick.

What would you target by preference ?

You are not allowed to say Bass btw.. LOL
When I fish I tend to go for whatever will bend the rod (except when topwater ).
I dont just go for bass and I would probably use ultralite tackle for small pollack and macks if I could get out to them with such small lures.
A one pound Pollack would go mental on an ultralite rod.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Guys, there is no point in me starting a new thread, so could I get some advice here please?

I really want to get in to this SP bordering on UL fishing section of our sport, so would like advice on a general set up. To begin with I just want a set up for around £100. I was thinking along the lines of a Catana 2500 with 8 or 10lb 8 strand braid, but have no idea on a rod or length. Will be for targeting wrasse, schoolies, maybe flounder etc.

Thanks in advance plugging brothers!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts