The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a small Walk the Dog type surface lure to use on my lightweight set up
Rods rated 2-12g and seems to handle the small Chug Bugs well. I would guess something around 8-10g would be ideal based on the way it fires out a 10g Dexter wedge.
Any suggestions?
Thanks guys

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
What about the Gorgeous little Rebel Popper,comes in at about 7gms.
The little ChugBug is one of my best ever surface plugs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just to add something different to the mix, have you considered your leader?

Now Im an avid fan of fluoro, but as we know it sinks!!!! When fishing ultralight/finesse topwater baits i find a light mono line that floats works better for me because as fluoro sinks it pulls down and straightens the lure which is great if its tail heavy but not for lures that float horizontally!!! and I prefer lures that float horizontally and sit in the surface rather than riding high-up.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Thanks Keith, always thought it would be harder for some reason. Must be a rhythm thing and I obviously need some more mojo ;)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Andy - you and me both! I lack the rhythm needed for some lures....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I find the recovery speed of slower/softer rods aids timing. Allows the WTD lure to actually...WTD in a wide sliding motion.
Lots of guys prefer glass in pure WTD rods. Try it, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Just to add something different to the mix, have you considered your leader?

Now Im an avid fan of fluoro, but as we know it sinks!!!! When fishing ultralight/finesse topwater baits i find a light mono line that floats works better for me because as fluoro sinks it pulls down and straightens the lure which is great if its tail heavy but not for lures that float horizontally!!! and I prefer lures that float horizontally and sit in the surface rather than riding high-up.
Oh yes, totally agree. No fluorocarbon leaders for surface WTD for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also: Water Moccasin and Bonnie 85 (Jackall), Dog X Jr and Coayu Slide Sinker (MB), Gunnish 75, Bevy Pencil and S8 popper (LC).

·
Registered
402 Posts
I find the recovery speed of slower/softer rods aids timing. Allows the WTD lure to actually...WTD in a wide sliding motion.
Lots of guys prefer glass in pure WTD rods. Try it, you might be surprised.
Definitly agree on that.
A soft (regular) rod will be perfect for WTD especially for small stickbaits.
Love my Xör Independence an Illex Yello Seabass for WTD, the both have a soft tip.
For blackbass the do use/prefer glass rods for WTD.

BTW my favorit small stickbait will be the MB Dog-X (sliding)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
IME:

Soft rods walk lures far better than stiff rods.
Spot on, a softish through action rod are much preferable for walk-the-dog lures and do indeed assist the timing. I have a couple of classic freshwater top-water/walk-the-dog rod from Vagabond, including a Action Rod A/F 210X 662 Zara Spook Special and the MillionFish SSP-6.0M fibreglass blank coupled with a A/WG-II-II-BAF gun grip, and they are by far the best rods for these techniques in my possession.

http://www.lure-fly.com/vagabond/actionrod/fish/fish.html

http://www.lure-fly.com/vagabond/millionfish/glassrod/grassrod.html

http://www.lure-fly.com/vagabond/millionfish/grip/grip.html#gun

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Just in case anybody out there is confused about the previous acceptance that stiff, fast rods were better for top water baits, this is the case when fishing 'poppers' not so with proper walking/sliding baits. There are 2 or more types of surface baits used in this country. Most people own 1 bass fishing lure rod, so a fast actioned rod with a bit of power is ideal as an allrounder - so thats generally what gets recommended.

You couldn't fish poppers very well on a soft rod - they wouldn't 'pop' (without a lot of effort at least). You can however, fish a sliding bait on a fast rod; maybe not perfectly, but its possible of coarse - we've all done it. So the fast rod is just the accepted allrounder.

I'm far, far, far from being a surface pro, but could just understand if some people were thinking "WHAT?!" reading this with softer rods being recommended, and wondering why.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It was the UL's that made me think Ben. I little short thin soft rod wouldn't in the 1st instance be the thing I'd go for to try a WTD lure. You live and learn and isn't it great !!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good innit :)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Coayu Slide Sinker (MB)
Awesome lure I want one, my mate Jighead uses one on his Jade Python, he nailed so many fish on it last summer, mackerel, snipe and alot of bass to 6lb+.

Keith, a bit contreversial saying soft rods walk the dog easier!! I think its down to personal preference again, I personally struggle to make tiny twitches and any control to be honest when using a soft rod for wtd. I would agree that a stiff rod is as bad though, but a fast action rod is perfect for me and the way I fish top waters.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts