Understanding the "understanding uv thread" thread | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Understanding the "understanding uv thread" thread

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Blenny

I had the trots one time, irushed to the toilet and turned on the light but before itcame on l had shat myself.
    Light is not the fastest thing around.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Pollock

A light and bitter is a refreshing drink.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bass

I have a question..

Are all UV LED's the same?
    before I saw the torches, I didn't think LED was capable of producing Uv

4. Perch

No not all UV LEDs are the same. All the UV torches you can buy contain cheap LED's that emit light over 400nm which is infact Violet, they do emit a very small amount that is under 400nm and is then considered true UV hence why fluorescent materials are visible when you shine them on it, but they are very inefficient at doing this. You can get LED's that emit true 365nm UV and I have some here for a project that I am working on. They are very expensive and not great to be honest, they also only emit a very weak amount of light but no visible violet light.

If you want a good black light then it is best to get a mains powered Fluorescent tube, much more efficient and brighter than a whole bunch of LEDs.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bass

you can get portable lamps Alan, many thanks for that response, tis what I suspected

another question how suitable are the Uv torches designed to cure resin, I would have thought they HAVE to be good and fit for purpose

I "think" I saw some LED ones?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. Perch

Yes you can get portable lamps, but in my experience battery powered tubes are not very good.

When it comes to UV curing resins it is very much down to what wavelength the manufacturer recommends for their particular resin, it does vary. Some will cure at 400nm so a cheap torch may be ok, if it is less then it will not work. Best to check for the specific resin you are planning on using.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bass

8. Bass

9. Mullet (foul hooked)

Yes :)

Possibly :)

cheers
    martin