"Unnatural" Lure Colours. | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

"Unnatural" Lure Colours.

Discussion in 'Lures' started by {name}, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Pollock

Cheers Simon.

2. Bass

I only lure fish from the boat these days so am consequently fishing in deeper water. I am convinced that silhouettes have a big part to play so nearly all of my lures have dark backs and pale bellies. If I would be forced to fish with two colours that I have caught more fish on than any other it would be any combination of blue and pearl white

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Guest

Used a cotton candy shallow diving lure yesterday just to see how far away it could be seen . Somewhere around 40yds I could see the lure around a couple of feet down ,the whiteness was what I could see . Would a bass home in on the white and ignore the colours , from a distance I doubt they would see the colours . Didn't catch on it , clear transparent still working , went through a lot of lures from really bright colours through to subtle imative . Confidence in what lure you use and how you fish it for me is more important .

4. Banned

Maybe that's why ghost lures work better than brightly coloured at your spots Graham?
    Far too clear, so it looks wrong to the fish?
    White or pearl white works for me when the water is tinged as we have a massive amount of whiting around here most of the year.
    However when it's Crystal clear it's ghost colours or blank!
    Softs are a differant matter but that's more than likely the light levels in deeper water.

5. Perch

There seems to be loads of successful ghost coloured top waters, but successful sub surfaces they're a different animal they don't get much of a mention, are there any out there

6. Banned

A bit of sandpaper and some imagination is all you need brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. Banned

IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1312.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Perch

9. Pollock

The water in Cornwall can be very challenging when its gin clear and it can be difficult to catch anything in those conditions.but white, pearl or CC are colours I've done best with.
    Solid,white or bone would be my favourite colour plug in any situation day or night, blinding sun or cloudy. White is right day or night:DGhost patterns work here in crystal conditions too though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Striper

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Striper

Two particular sessions stand out for me .
    1st getting virtually a fish a cast on topwaters but all 30-40cm schoolies and no sign of surface baitfish activity so changed to a variety of shallow divers and SPs in the hope that there might be some better fish lurking deeper. Not a touch so changed back to topwaters and the frenzy continued. Reckon virtually any tw would have worked but sub surface pointless.
    2nd on a different mark where I would usually fish topwaters at HW over boulders but a swirling wind made that tricky so switched to shallow divers. Caught 1st cast then nothing, changed to a different pattern , fish on then nothing . Repeat several times until tide changed and session over . Think one lure caught two but otherwise only way to keep catching was to change pattern. Bright conditions, clear water and fish all concentrated in a small area. Colour didn't seem to make a difference on that occasion but if I hadn't had a selection to play with reckon it would have been game over .