The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Met up with Billy last night for a late evening session into darkness on Anglesey.Arrived at the mark to find the sea was pretty much flat and the water,clear. The aim of the mission was to a) get my season started and b) christen my new rod, on the menue was a selection of surface lures. I was still tackling up when Billy made his first cast and within 3 seconds there was a big hit on his lure on the surface, unfortunately it didnt stick and also didnt come back for another try.I went with a larg Mag popper but had to watch as Billy got a couple more hits which again didnt connect,one small fish must have had 5-6 tries and still didnt hook up. Billy switched to a small mag popper in blue mackerel and it wasnt long before it was fish on, and landed,in the mean time i had switched to a smaller popper and had a couple of hits which didnt connect.As the sun set and the light started to go Billy showed me how its done again with a better fish than the first. Feeling a bit left out by now i decided to give a debut to a £4.50 Dexter surface lure( 18grm easy walker in yellow and white) said to be a sammy copy (chartreuse shad colour), and first cast i missed a hit, next cast brought in a small schoolie,followed shortly by a second,after a lull of about half an hour and now in near dark conditions there was a much better hit on my lure with a good series of head shakes and the sound of the drag letting out line,a couple of minutes later after a good fight a fish just a tad under 4lb was landed. Billy was by now on the same lure and got a hit or two and one fish that was on for about 15 seconds and then gone,just before it was time to pack up it was another schoolie to me and then the journey home. The outside temperature reading in the car said + 2.5 c but i hadnt even noticed that it was cold .All in all a very enjoyable evening in good company, again ,many thanks to you Billy .My camera decided that the flash was not going to perform but Billy took a couple of shots which hopefully he will add today

hope this next bit doesnt bore the pants off you but as someone new to plugging i,and i am sure others would like to get a bit more info/pics put on catch reports,if only to give us a confidence boost,stuff like the weather/sea state/clarity..time of day ,and lures used.

so heres my list from last night,

first up was the large green mackerel Mag popper

i have down sized the trebbles it came with, .no takers

next up .old faithfull the large Tshad chugbug...

no takers again..

decided to go smaller with one of these

this did provoke 3-4 fish to hit it but with no hook-ups

next out was a small dexter popper

again no interest

finally i managed to give them what they wanted

the dexter easy walker

first cast and they liked it........all four fish fell to thislure

you may have noticed the bit of lead on the end trebble

i put this there after a very experienced plugger noticed the lure in my box and said the identical sammy he has is one of his favourite lures but he found by adding the weight when pausing the tail sinks and leaves the head pointing up then....twitch and retrieve pause ,twitch etc.....to be honest it got hit so quickly on the initial slooow retrieve that i didnt really use his suggested method,

finally ,heres why i am not a proffesional photographer

my picture of my best fish of the evening

lol

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Super evening session off the top, Trevor. very tempted to start doing some evening sessions during the week myself...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice one Trev!! Nice to open your account with a few off the top.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great work Trevor, nice report and well done for getting off the mark !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trevor, I too want to down size the trebles on my large sand eel mag popper, the front one keeps getting stuck on the front face of the lure. What size did you change too?

Nice read Jon

·
Registered
687 Posts
thanks for writing a report trev.i enjoyed the session.nice evening,good company and lots of action!! heres a few pics

my 1st on a mag popper

a bit bigger on a sammy

and the winner on the night.........

trev`s beauty :-D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
well done fellas.....crackin report.......wish i could of joined you guys but the misses shift stops me doin evening sessions in the week....bitch!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts