The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the rules are regarding buying lures on line from the USA and importing them to the UK?
have found a website which advises on import duty and tax etc which says if the value including postage comes to less than £135 then no duty is payable ,but VAT will be charged...........is this correct ?? just that ive come accross a US site selling world wide with rapala x rap xr 10 's for £4.95 (choice of colours including spotted minnow) and lots of others stuff as well equally cheap, seems worth investigating...........or is there a catch??

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i cant say for definate mate though i have ordered tying materials in the past and never had an issue.
Always paid at the checkout stage and never been charged after this, though the delivery times do vary especially after this terror threat thing with cargo going between the states and here.
I sent 2 parcels to northern canada and they have take 7 weeks to arrive there.
I have always placed orders around the £100 mark. That would equate to 20 lures per order and if they added VAT after at customs stage then your still way under the £135 threshhold mate.
Though thus far as i say i have never had vat added i think it depends on the seller and how the write out the customs decleration when they send it. As to wheather it gets picked up comming through. :-?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant say for definate mate though i have ordered tying materials in the past and never had an issue.
Always paid at the checkout stage and never been charged after this, though the delivery times do vary especially after this terror threat thing with cargo going between the states and here.
I sent 2 parcels to northern canada and they have take 7 weeks to arrive there.
I have always placed orders around the £100 mark. That would equate to 20 lures per order and if they added VAT after at customs stage then your still way under the £135 threshhold mate.
Though thus far as i say i have never had vat added i think it depends on the seller and how the write out the customs decleration when they send it. As to wheather it gets picked up comming through. :-?
yeah, this company does it all by the book,so they will not write "gift" or under value the contents.....so vat will be probably be added.....but sounds like it could be worth a go

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
There is no import duty, which normally isn't more than 3-4% anyhow, for purchases under £135 but as you have already figured out you will have to pay UK VAT and any handling charge to the shipper.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I used to buy loads from USA over many years,,,,,,,,,,But no longer.
I used to rave about a company called TackleDirect and their great service but they 'did me' and I will know longer use them and have taken them of my email list.
I wouldn't bother with the USA unless you are actually over there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts