The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to New England in August with the family and am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with these beasts?
By all accounts they seem to have fairly similar habits to our bass but grow substantially larger...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi, Caught a 20 pound striper when i was in canada in nova scotia. Only 13 at the time so some time ago, lost two which were much larger. Only armed with a toby spinner and a carp rod at the time ,but i never forget the power of the fish went like a train, It was this that got me into bass fishing.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Mark,
I have to join Ben in recommending Stripers online website. These guys are absolutely first class and will do anything to help. I came across them 4 or 5 years ago after searching for some thing completely unrelated to Striper fishing...a part for a Penn mag reel which was being custom made in the states. Although the guys were not allowed to advertise the tackle shops name they went out of their way to contact the shop for me and got them to contact me.
I am sure they would be only to glad to put you in the picture and you might even get an invitation to go out fishing with them if any live at the locations you are going to.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Striped Bass ?
Love em, caught a few too.

Simply awesome sport at times.

If you need details, drop me a PM. But, 1 tip, learn to plug at night if you want any success.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What was your largest striped bass keith.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keith is spot on, Striper fishing is best done under the cover of darkness, but Bluefish, bonito and Albacore will keep you busy during the day.
A Striper blitz is something you will remember for the rest off your days. And an Albie on light tackle will leave you stunned.
Where about are you heading??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys - I'm not quite sure yet where we are going. The wife wants to go to Cape Cod, but I have heard it gets really busy in August. I've heard the striper fishing is good there though. Other places I fancy are Rhode Island and southern Maine.
I know Montauk is the striper mecca but it's also very expensive for accomodation, but if any of you boys have any recommendations I would be interested to hear them...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Like Kevin said "the vineyard or nantucket."
Both awesome places to fish, wives/girlfriends seem to love the shops and beauty of the Vineyard.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alex,
As Kevin and keith will agree-You will thank me later- Martha Vineyard is a great place to plug

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
And Boston is a top place too - great food and shopping. Good range of flights as well to get over there...
Shouldn't be a hard sell to any FPO!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
US bumble? We could all conveniently converge on a beach "oh my, fancy bumping into you here! and you have your rod too!"

I find it tempting having read a lot of stories on the striper forums. Not sure about skishing in waters where there are Great Whites and Mako etc kicking round though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts