The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Don't know if this has already been covered?

I've not fished Cornwall so don't know what to expect, especially in November?

I'm told Cornwall has 'clean clear water' :shock:, not like the North and South Devon pea soup I seem to fish in! :sad:

Are there any lures that are regarded as 'must haves' or at least handy for the Bumble area?

Any colours or colour combinations that are particularly good down there? (if they suited Devon too that would be a real plus!)

And finally, what techniques are likely to be favourite? Hard lures,(too cold for topwater lures?) HRF/LRF, Sps etc.......?

I'd like to avoid emptying my garage and bringing everything 'just in case' or having to stop at Ben's shop on the way down and buying more than a car load of totally new 'Cornish essential' lures :-D
(although I'm hoping he has the best Z-claw colours in stock because I don't have any of them yet!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Nick

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
well im not the best to advise though i have seen the z claw, tide minnow and x layers doing the business in plymouth areas of late.
Ben would advise further or nathan i believe, as i dont fish cirnwall as much as i should mate

tight lines

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Depends a bit on where you're going Nick. Rudra's and Laydown Minnow's around here.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The ,Feed Shallow plus, Tide Minnow 150 and 175's and Zonks would be the weapons of choice for me, but if you have confidence in your own lures then you don't need to buy anymore lures mate trust me...... My fathers most prolific lure this year is the Conrad 150mm size from a Car boot sale, talk about taking the ****, but he has confidence using it, so save your money.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've come to learn that finding the fish is the hard bit.... i'm pretty sure Bass are a little fickle when it comes to lure choice - they'll nail most lures if you get them close enough

discuss...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've come to learn that finding the fish is the hard bit.... i'm pretty sure Bass are a little fickle when it comes to lure choice - they'll nail most lures if you get them close enough

discuss...
I think this is the case, too. Finding them plus the right technique for the conditions..?
I've been told many times that if they are there and are feeding, they'll take almost anything. (I have to say that's not my personal experience, but words from more than one person who regularly drags bass out of the sea.)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I spent more years than I care to remember fly fishing for trout and I am convinced that that experience is still relevant for bass.

There are days when the fish will take virtually anything you can thrown at them, fly/lure choice is not really critcial as if its in the water, it will get eaten. There are days when the fish are there but just wont take anything. There are days when the fish are pre-occupied on a particular food source and 'matching the hatch' is the only way to succeed. There are also days when the fish are there but are finicky and thats when the right size, shape, colour, action, depth or speed of retrieve is critical. These are days that it pays to experiment, try different things and sometimes the off beat solution can bring results. This also shows that first and foremost, you have to find the fish - the best fly/lure wont catch what isnt there.

Reactions: Barry Monty

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've heard Pencil Minnows work well down there, so I've got this one from Lucky Craft specially...

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Sharp looking lure Rob but lets hope you dont draw a blank! My only concern is that it has enough lead to get down in November surf or your chances will be erased!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I got lots more!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Rob :D

Confidence will be the main thing guys. Apart from probably doing a bit more walking/climbing than some of you may be used to, or standing up to a few waves that make you wee a bit, the bass here are the same fish you catch at home.

Robs pencil will definitely catch more fish than any other, but the likes of the Show and Tell thread shows that you pretty much all already have lures for the job. We're not on a different planet down here, and apart from perhaps an extra sinking lure or two, I'm sure the lures that everybody is confident on at home will also work down here.

Location will be the main thing, and actually forcing yourself in to the teeth of it. There are places where you'll catch in calm water, but more often than not (in my experience anyway) you'e just got to ensure you're casting in to the moving water - and by moving water I just mean choppy, whitewater heads - not rolling waves. If you find yourself in calmer areas where fish are present then just fish it exactly as you would at home. There are no rules that say it won't work. Chances are it will, even if the locals do it differently.

Be safe and have fun.

Nick, I'd just take your standard plugging stuff and maybe a few soft baits - although I have no idea where you'll be fishing so that will include all manner of hard baits. Surface (Patchinko, ZClaw), shallow divers (Feed Shallow, Tide Minnow, TM Surf, Jackson Athlete FS, Ecogear 125), slightly deeper divers (Rudra, Laydown Minnow (for slower retrieves), Zonk) and a couple of sinkers in case its blowing and rolling (Rudra S, Jackson Athlete SS). Im sure most will own some sort of combination of that lot...? (or similar)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
or standing up to a few waves that make you wee a bit
Haha, only need to ask Stevie about that.

Nice of you to take the time and put peoples mind at ease there Ben. Can be a bit of a worry fishing new areas, wondering if your lures are up to it. In truth though, these 'Japanese' designed and produced lures work just about anywhere you care to use them. If you put it past their nose, they'll probably take it.

My only thing to add to that would be Aka-kin (red/gold) lures may do quite well around the rock marks. But that's probably the same most places where there are a lot of Pollock and Wrasse.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ben, and thanks Guys too,

Loads to chew over!;-)

Especially the advice about sticking with lures you have confidence in....:-D

My favourite lures are big and small Zonks, Patchinko 100 and Dice Baycrap, closely followed by Flashminnows.
I'm sure I can quite closely match a lot of the lures you've suggested in size and shape, then hopefully drop the lure on the fishes head so it grabs it before thinking "wait a minute this is not a Tide minnow....:-D!"

I'm really looking forward to fishing somewhere new, and sincerley hoping Not to Wee in my waders....:-D:-D

BTW what size braid do you recommend?

I've been using a 14lbs PE line from DUEL for hard lures (with 25lbs fluoro leader) or 10lbs 4 strand Yamatoyo for Sp's, should I go back up to 30lbs Power Pro for this more 'lively' water?

and do I still need the leader with the chunky braid?

Thanks once again

Nick:wink:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
No worries.

In reality you'll probably be ok with the 14lb braid over the clean ground. I have no idea where you're all going yet but I'd generally fish heavier (with hard lures at least) around the rougher stuff. 20lb+ usually. I usually have on either 25lb Yamatoyo or 35lb Daiwa Tournament (wouldn't hesitate in using down to the 20lb though. I bought the 35lb to see how heavy I could go and it's been perfect in the rough stuff so far). Bear in mind this is only with hard baits and cranking back bigger, heavier lures. Soft baits I mostly fish 10lb or 16lb Yamatoyo or 15lb Daiwa.

There wll be opportunities to use all of those lures you mention. Depends totally on where you end up. If you're in and around the calmer waters then that lot will do you nicely. On the proper coast, do step lures up a bit. it's not about casting distance, but mostly just ensuring they manage to draw attention to themselves in all the backwash and swirling stuff.

Do use a leader with the thicker braid.

Reactions: Nick Rowe

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nick, I use .19 PP everywhere I go. Gets on just fine, always use a leader though. Lots of barnacles and mussels down that way.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
WEll i am going to try and make this one transport allowing ect. Though i will using only the lures i have collected cheaper things to start off with then soon as i get into it and find my feet a little orei will be investing in a collection of proper lures lol.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Mike - There may well be room in one of our cars going down. will figure it out and let you know.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts