The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive had a look through this section and couldn't find an existing thread with the same title so thought it was best to post one. Ive thought about a VS for quite a while now and to be fair haven't heard alot in the way of bad reports about them. Yes, they are heavier etc.. But they are also built for a purpose and maybe worth investing in for the times when they are needed. Im gonna be doing some more wading sessions that I used to, only to fish certain places more regular. I could use an existing reel but thinking long term and not short term, the VS would be more ideal for use in those conditions.

Again its for individual circumstances and conditions but can anyone who owns this reel throw up some experiences where having that reel has proved to be the right decision.

Thanks....:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
VAN STAAL ADDICT.

I use the van staal vs100 bailess. superb reel!! thought it would take a bit of time to get used to no bail arm ,but now iam a total convert, its a bit stiff at first from new but does get smoother as it gets more use ,never going to be as smooth as a stella for example, but the Van staal is a work horse the perfect companion for my Tenryu Top water, you dont mind dunking the van staal as you have the confidence that its built for that, the reel is built to last and will last as long as you will!!. I admit i look after the reel rinsing with fresh water after every trip, and wd40 sprayed over the reel!! but you no just a quick wipe down would suffice.

The line lay on the reel isint the best nothing like the stella!! but doesent effect your casting or distance at all, The van staal will not let you down,if you get one get the vs 100 its the smallest and lightest of the bunch.

I hope this helps.!!!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Nick , Bail less Vs`s are lighter, they also have a different spool set up ! the bail less spool when rotating drops inside the reel main housing , where as the bailed versions spool has a skirt that covers the main reel body , all this including the bail arm adds extra weight to the reel .
Bail less can come with single roller or double for easier pick up of the line , but tbh single is fine the whole thing takes less than 20 mins to get used to fishing bail less . The bailed reels have to be set back manually as they are not automatic when you rotate the handle

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer Bob, I will take another look when im over next.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
If the spool has no skirt, is it prone to problems with the line finding its way under the spool and wrapping around the spindle? In other words like fixed spool reels in the past before skirted spools became standard issue? Just curious!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thanks a mill, no need to go any further trouble, (at least not on my account). So forgive me if I misunderstood you, but it sounds as though the Van Staal design is not vulnerable to line tangling on the spindle.

All the best,

Walter

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have both bailed and bail less I have had problems with line getting under the spool but it seems only when I am using surface lures, so it may be the way I fish. I have used my VS today without any problem Excellent reels which I am very pleased with

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive got to say ive never had problems with line getting under the spool, and i mainly fish surface lures???????

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob, what line goes well on the VS? or is it pretty versatile? does it handle the 8 braids ok?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes fine on the 8 braids, i use Sunline castaway 1.5 pe and Daiwa emeraldas 0.6 pe on the other van staal.

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks guys, its good to get a few different views/feedback. The silver 100 does seem to fit the bill :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
[/IMG]

Line lay on the Van staal vs100, Not the best!!

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm, not a probelm as line lay isnt the reason for looking into these VS. Thanks for sharing though.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If you were really bothered then couldn't you shape your backing line lay by hand to compensate? If you are only using the first 50yds of a thin braid then it should work?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts