The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of us on here use the van staal reels, can anyone check the roller on theirs and tell me if it looks like this?

my braid has formed a groove into the roller itself. I am using the reel 3-4 times a week but would not have expected this to happen.
I have emailed the company to ask when the craic is :cry:

Keith? Vanstaalguy??

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Ok ive ignored the title, i don't own one but I find it hard to believe braid did that! Don't doubt you but are you certain it wasn't already there originally as a line guide? Looks too perfectly in the middle of the roller for braid too do it! I'd have thought the groove, if any should form tight too the edge of the roller.
Sorry too be of no help at all!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I own Van staal vs100s, my rollers do not have that groove in the middle, I very much doubt that braid could make that, i fish most days Weather permitting and the rollers on my reels are fine.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok ive ignored the title, i don't own one but I find it hard to believe braid did that! Don't doubt you but are you certain it wasn't already there originally as a line guide? Looks too perfectly in the middle of the roller for braid too do it! I'd have thought the groove, if any should form tight too the edge of the roller.
Sorry too be of no help at all!!
Its not completely down the middle Nath, and kinda splits off....pictures don't do it justice :(

I own Van staal vs100s, my rollers do not have that groove in the middle, I very much doubt that braid could make that, i fish most days Weather permitting and the rollers on my reels are fine.Hope this helps.

Hmm, was think it couldn't be the braid.....but its the only line used on it......roller was completely flat and smooth a twelve month ago. The roller on my other vs is fine and showing no wear at all.

Now where did I put that fladen catalogue? ;)

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Not a VS owner myself but from an engineering point of view (and I know its a silly question) does the roller 'roll' and how often is it lubricated ?
To me it also looks like a slight tool problem when it was made (CNC turned) but if the mark isnt concentric then it wont be a machining problem.
Replace ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me it also looks like a slight tool problem when it was made (CNC turned) but if the mark isnt concentric then it wont be a machining problem.
Replace ?
It's not a machining issue Nick, the groove was caused by something else.......and during my fishing trips!

Replace, of course VS will replace, and so they should, although they do expect me to pay for the new roller!:evil::evil::evil:
You pay your money and take your chances I suppose:-x

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
It's not a machining issue Nick, the groove was caused by something else.......and during my fishing trips!

Replace, of course VS will replace, and so they should, although they do expect me to pay for the new roller!:evil::evil::evil:
You pay your money and take your chances I suppose:-x
Simon wouldnt you think that something like that would have to be caused by friction ?
Maybee the line roller had jammed up for a period of time and has now released ?
It would be interesting to know what they want to charge for the replacement roller and I'm surprised that in order to 'protect' their reputation they havn't offered you the spare part for free.......

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
mine has a groove slightly off centre difficult to see I have had this reel for about 4months I wonder if it is only on new reels

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Arn't the 'new' ones made in China ?
Yes they are and it has made no difference in quality and longevity as far as I can see.
And, both Kev and I have handled these reels for years including some initial protoypes.

Original testers were asked to never clean or oil any part of the reels unless that was just a quick rinse in the sea.
We've witnessed wet reels layed down in soft sand !!!!

Guys just throw a drink, seawater or pee on or over em and carry on fishing.

Also remember: They were never designed to lay braid. They lay up 15lb mono like a dream by comparison.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes got to agree with keith, ive got the usa made van staal as well as a chinese made one, had no issues with either, looks like youve got a duff roller.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I believe Simons VS with the dodgy roller IS an american one...... interesting that Alans is doing the same, is it a join maybe? Silly place to put a join, it cant be a join, ignore that question!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe Simons VS with the dodgy roller IS an american one...... interesting that Alans is doing the same, is it a join maybe? Silly place to put a join, it cant be a join, ignore that question!!
Silly question, stick to shop owning ;)

Yup, it is the yankee doodle one, my chinese one is still all good :D :D

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
From an engineering point of view they wouldn't make the roller with a split line,it would have to be one piece.
If the groove wasn't on the roller in the beginning then it can only be caused by friction and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like the roller is two piece, the join being at the base of the flare section. I've taken the roller off the reel and checked it against the other vs.......the chinese one is smoother than the USA believe it or not.

****, have Zebco said anything yet?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
It looks like the roller is two piece, the join being at the base of the flare section. I've taken the roller off the reel and checked it against the other vs.......the chinese one is smoother than the USA believe it or not.

****, have Zebco said anything yet?
If it is a two piece (split line) then from an engineering point of view I just cant understand why they would do this ? or need to do this ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts