The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some of the guys that have been using this braid, please give me some feedback on it?

I’m currently torn between the Varivas Avani Max Power PE in 20Ib and the Toray Seabass 8-strand PE for my new Certate 3000 reel and Lucky Craft rod.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Can't give any feeedback on either of those but I am looking at the Daiwa Tournament 8 braid. Supposedly getting rave reviews and not silly money either. Unfortunately in the UK the lowest BS is 20lb which is heavier than I want..

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
haven't used the varivas but the Tournament is available like Mike says from 20lb upwards in the UK on very good value 300m spools: http://www.leslies-luton.co.uk/store/product/2209159/DAIWA-TOURNAMENT-8-BRAID-60lb-300m/

The smaller diameters are avilable here: http://www.fishing-mart.com.pl/sklep/en/tournament-8xbraid-a78-p994-k7741.html ...but they're not quite so cheap. Braid generally get more expensive when they get this fine anyway. It's proper stuff!

I haven't actually made a cast with it yet but its gone nicely on to a couple of reels to try out. Think I've got it in 15, 20 and 35lb. The 10lb is 0.08mm. I don't know where it stands on a PE table but must be around 0.4?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Vidar,
I am using the 20lb, got it towards the end of the last season. I like it, it is very limp, has quite a round section and seems to cast and knot well and has a nice silky feel to it. It is a light grey in colour. Veals are the best bet to get it (their price beat what I could get it from japan).
I tested it against Fireline (14lb) and PowerShot (20lb), to be honest both the Powershot and Max Power were great. The only slightly negitive comment (applies to both Powershot and Max) is the if you are casting across the wind, stop the braid as soon as the lure hits the water, as they are so light. That the wind will continue to drag line of the reel otherwise.
I am thinking of looking at the 17lb version.

Reactions: Vidar Thomassen

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vidar,
I am using the 20lb, got it towards the end of the last season. I like it, it is very limp, has quite a round section and seems to cast and knot well and has a nice silky feel to it. It is a light grey in colour. Veals are the best bet to get it (their price beat what I could get it from japan).
I tested it against Fireline (14lb) and PowerShot (20lb), to be honest both the Powershot and Max Power were great. The only slightly negitive comment (applies to both Powershot and Max) is the if you are casting across the wind, stop the braid as soon as the lure hits the water, as they are so light. That the wind will continue to drag line of the reel otherwise.
I am thinking of looking at the 17lb version.
Thanks Dave!!!

I think I will drop by Leslies of Luton (I visit this shop at least once a month) and have a look at the Daiwa Tournament braid too.

If the 30Ib version have a diameter of as little as 0.16mm (mind you, I always take claims about braid diameter with a substantial pinch of salt) the 20Ib version should be very thin indeed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Vidar - I have been using the Varivas 8 strand stuff for about a couple of years now and I just can't find any kind of fault with it at all. The 20lb is awesome stuff for lure fishing.

Just starting to mess around with a spool of the new 20lb Daiwa 8 strand that I got on the way back from the show, seems very good, insanely thin - feels thinner than the Varivas, not sure if it actually is, but I would be quite happy using 30lb Daiwa 8 strand for my lure fishing.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vidar - I have been using the Varivas 8 strand stuff for about a couple of years now and I just can't find any kind of fault with it at all. The 20lb is awesome stuff for lure fishing.

Just starting to mess around with a spool of the new 20lb Daiwa 8 strand that I got on the way back from the show, seems very good, insanely thin - feels thinner than the Varivas, not sure if it actually is, but I would be quite happy using 30lb Daiwa 8 strand for my lure fishing.
Thanks Henry!!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I was about to order some of the Daiwa stuff but was disgusted they ony do it to 20lb minimum in this country, what a bunch of twats, still, I suppose they have to cater for the masses. How frustrating it is when anglers are ahead of the game eh, when will tackle companies get their reps to actually take a good look at growing markets and report back, instaed of acting like nodding dogs happy with their salaries. AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry, moan over.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I bought some and never loaded it as I found the albright I tie didnt work well with it & I broke it with my bare hands giving it a bit of a pull (ok maybe it was a damaged section from the start of the spool but even so I couldnt fish with confidence with it after that)

·
Registered
623 Posts
my experience has been with the max power PE and it was fine for the first month or two but then descended into a real pain with line loops and wind loops becoming more and more of a problem the older the braid got. At 35 quid a pop I certainly couldnt keep re-spooling after a month. I ended up spending more time sorting birds-nests out than casting. Now using power pro 20lb and not had any hint of the problems I got with the varivas.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I was about to order some of the Daiwa stuff but was disgusted they ony do it to 20lb minimum in this country, what a bunch of twats, still, I suppose they have to cater for the masses. How frustrating it is when anglers are ahead of the game eh, when will tackle companies get their reps to actually take a good look at growing markets and report back, instaed of acting like nodding dogs happy with their salaries. AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry, moan over.
That's where MrFish comes in Mickymoo!! ;-)

...or it would be if the scumbags would give you an account!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can some of the guys that have been using this braid, please give me some feedback on it?

I’m currently torn between the Varivas Avani Max Power PE in 20Ib and the Toray Seabass 8-strand PE for my new Certate 3000 reel and Lucky Craft rod.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Hi Vidar,

Which L.C. Rod do you use Vidar, an ESG ?
Do you like it ?

Iám interested in a Lucky Craft ESG II

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Vidar,

Which L.C. Rod do you use Vidar, an ESG ?
Do you like it ?

Iám interested in a Lucky Craft ESG II
Harold - it is this rod that I bought a month or two ago.

http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishinglures/Lucky-Craft-ESG-Plugging-Rod-87-XHXXF.html

I haven’t had a chance to try it for Bass in the salt yet, but have had a play around with it in freshwater and my first impression is indeed positive. In my opinion it makes for a very good all-round rod, fully capable of fishing both plugs and soft plastics.

Ideally I would have liked an adjustable balancing system on the butt (the rod has a rather short rear handle) but that is minor objection that would not discourage me from buying another one.

Reactions: Harold

·
Registered
402 Posts
Harold - it is this rod that I bought a month or two ago.

http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishinglures/Lucky-Craft-ESG-Plugging-Rod-87-XHXXF.html

I haven’t had a chance to try it for Bass in the salt yet, but have had a play around with it in freshwater and my first impression is indeed positive. In my opinion it makes for a very good all-round rod, fully capable of fishing both plugs and soft plastics.

Ideally I would have liked an adjustable balancing system on the butt (the rod has a rather short rear handle) but that is minor objection that would not discourage me from buying another one.

Thanks vidar, that is exactly the one iám interested in

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Got some. Love it.

Double Uni all the way Tom. Allbright is a liabiilty.

You owe it to your rod. An Injection with the Avani feels even more sensitive than with the 19lb PPro.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts