The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me ;-)
I think I know couple of you from another lure angling forum, so hello to Iestyn and Nigel.

I have a question concerning Varivas Super Pe Braid if anyone can help?

Been using it in Moss Green for few months now and was happy with it till the other day when I noticed a lot of twist in it.
Nothing new, as you get a certain amount of twist in any line, but the baffling thing is that line appears quite flat which made the twist stand out much more.
As Varivas give the diameter of the line, you would reckon that the line would be round, so i'm baffled as to why the line is so noticeably flat.

On the spool it looks perfectly round, but on the reel after casting, it is and feels flat.
Can anybody give me an explanation, or am I so dumb I'm missing the obvious?

All the best
Gerry

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Gerry sorry but cant answer your question but welcome to the forum. Im sure some
one on here will have an answer for you.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Gerry I could be mistaken and hopefully someone will know for sure, but I thought some braids were ' flat '.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hmmm??? Surely, unless braids are 'braided' really tightly they will be flat when squashed? And if they are 'braided' really tightly they won't be as flexible??? IMO it's all a balance, tight and round against flexible and flat. I guess an 8x braid will be less likely to flatten as there are more individual fibres incorporated....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello to you too Nigel; watched any good fishing DVDs lately ;-)

Thank you guys for your input.

Mike, your right, some braids are flat, and it is usually stated that it's the case, so when a manufacturer gives a Diameter measurement, you expect the line to be round.

Tim , I am sure with use that some braids will take on a flattish profile, but surely not like I have experienced with the Varivas which is like dental floss.

I have used a number of braids over the years and not one of them has gone like this latest one.

I also experienced a strange thing when I pulled for a break when snagged on Saturday.
When the line broke, the first few yards curled up like a corkscrew, and unless straightened by hand, remained like that every time you let go of the line.
It could be that I destroyed some of the properties of the line by pulling like I did and stretched it too much, which is fair enough, but never had it with any other braided line which just snapped and remained like before.

Anyway fellas thanks again for your comments

Gerry

·
Registered
712 Posts
Gerry, I had a spool of Varivas super pe braid which twisted up exactly as you described, initially I thought I had spooled it incorrectly but even if I worked out the twists by running it through my fingers it would just return, then I thought it was my reel anti twist roller not working correctly. I tolerated it for a while but eventually spoke to veals about it, I returned the reel and line, they thought it very odd as well and to their credit swapped the line for 300yds of power pro.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for that Andrew, I thought exactly the same as you did.
I re spooled mine a few times, but it stayed the same, and then I looked at the roller bearing on my Rarenium, but couldn't see anything wrong so wasn't convinced that it was at fault; it was a recent purchase anyway.

It's baffling to me.

I might give Veals a call and see what they have to say, as I have a couple of 270m spools that I haven't opened yet :-x

Cheers again Andrew

Gerry

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
gerry i'm from gloucester to i'l pm you my num give me a call ....welcome by the way

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi kev

Your name is familiar to me and I'm sure we know each other !

I can't reply to your PM as I have to have a post count of 10 or more before the forum will allow me to answer PMs.

Will give you a call in the next day or two.

Cheers
Gerry

·
Registered
712 Posts
Gerry, glad to help.
I had bought the reel and line from Veals at the same time which is why I returned both. I can't remember who I spoke to at Veals but they where a bit mystified as well as to why the line was twisting up like that, he said he could actually see it for himself as he pulled line from the spool of my reel and watch it twisting up. He thought perhaps it was a line/reel mismatch but really wasn't sure.
I thought they dealt with the problem really well, so I'd give them a call.
Hearing about someone else having the same problem puts that bit of my mind at ease that thought that perhaps I'd done something odd with the line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke to Veals this afternoon Andrew and were very helpful.
They mentioned about checking the roller bearing, but as I had the line on 3 reels, there was really no need., but I have and can't see any problems.
They said to send it back if all was well with the reels.
It has also happened to a friend of mine who bought some two weeks ago and he was baffled.
Maybe a faulty batch or we all have faulty reels ;-)

Cheers
Gerry

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi, Gerry.

Its Joe from the LAS. Is there a possibility that the braid is a 3 strand braid which normally have a flat profile? Never used the braid so can't comment personally but just an idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Joe

No it's an 8x.

The twist or flatness doesn't seem to affect the strength of the braid, at least not as far as I can tell and it's still fishable, just a little strange.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bit late seeing this one im afriad.

I have used the Varivas super PE as well this season and had the same problems with twist in the main body of the line and at the end on 3 diff reels. The only solution i have found is to run it off and wind it back on between my fingers to remove the twists. I find its good for another few sessions after that.

It is a weird one, ive fished all sorts of brands and types of braid in fresh and salt water for over 10yrs on various reels and this is the first time ive seen the twist problem just so bad.

Marty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts