The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conditions seemed quite good tonight so I popped out for a very quick session in what felt like a howling North Westerly. Apart from the wind making presentation blimmin difficult, there was a couple of foot of wishy washy surf rolling in and a few nice kelp beds starting to show themselves between the sandy patches. It was about 90 minutes before low tide when I reached the water at 9.30pm.

Surprisingly, I'd gone totally unprepared as I'd just left my gear in the car since my last session - in somewhat calmer conditions. The biggest jighead I had with me was a mere 5g and it was nowhere near enough to have any sort of control in the crosswind - so that pretty much ruled soft baits out, annoyingly! As far as diving lures went, the Daiwa Spawn took my fancy. Fishing in to about 6 feet of swirling water, it was almost the only lure I could really use from the unfortunate height I had to start fishing from before the tide receeded a little further. After about 10 minutes I had the result I'd been looking for and just as I thought the lure was running a touch close to an underwater rock, the lowered rod lurched forward as a fish of almost 3lb grabbed it from behind. Safely ashore he'd actually engulfed most of the lure from behind!

Eventually the wind got the better of me. After it's first proper outing I later had to say a prayer for the successful pearlescent Spawn as he chose a new home under the sea, in amongst the kelp. With him gone, none of the shallow divers I had with me were quite up to the job and as I said previously, softbaits were being quickly blown ashore.

Back to the car by 10.30. I think it would have been easier fishing if I'd got there an hour earlier when the tide was a little higher. If the swell doesn't increase too much then tomorrow could be just right!

Better than watching TV anyhow.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate.

Must admit I haven't been out much lately. Next few days are looking promising though so hopefully I'll get chance. Bass sessions inbetween but quick LRF sesh planned for sunday.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have got possibly the worst photo in history on my phone. Will try and upload it later/tomorrow. :p

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Well done mate! Keep them coming!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts