The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given we can get LRF baits in nice slim worm shapes I was wondering if anyone has had much success, fishing them wacky style. I would have thought it would give plenty of action dropped or swung through current. And lets be honest almost everything loves a worm snack in saltwater. So good idea, any tips or am I barking up the wrong tree here???

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've been thinking exactly the same recently mate, but haven't tried to yet. I do reckon it'll be a very valid method for a load of bottom species. I don't think it will be too long before we have patters and favoured techniques sorted for gobies, rockling, scorpions, whiting, pout etc etc etc, and I'm sure there will be a time and a place for it. Most definitely around those harbour walls.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It works great guys.

weightless wacky with senko's in current is a speciality of mine as is cuckoo rigging more recently.

wacky's on jig heads do work for wrasse as long as the focus point stays near the hook entry point (like a hot spot).

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, another technique to try. You never know as Ben said which species might respond best to which technique-So the more we have the better the chance we will stumble on to a winner.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Dave, I will try and get some coloured elastic bands this week. I think a small jighhead with a small piece of elastic band knotted around the hook bend and trimmed to length would work in the same way as a wacky rigged micro SP. Plenty of colours to choose from. Could even use more than one elastic band too.....
I think knotting it to the hook then a knot in each end would create a focalpoint and some action. Or am I just being a muppet?!?!?!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dave, I will try and get some coloured elastic bands this week. I think a small jighhead with a small piece of elastic band knotted around the hook bend and trimmed to length would work in the same way as a wacky rigged micro SP. Plenty of colours to choose from. Could even use more than one elastic band too.....
I think knotting it to the hook then a knot in each end would create a focalpoint and some action. Or am I just being a muppet?!?!?!

not a muppet Mike, just tight ! lol.

kev

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well, I don't know about that.

I'm hoping the more rearward hook position will hook 'more' Wrasse and retain any action in a short lure.

For Bass, wacky's just get smashed anyway when drifted through current in a leisenring lift or polish nymph style. Both are really close range tactics we use in the dark or, in very broken water that is running hard.

I use a neutral or floating stick type lure (Senko is a stick bait but neither neutral or floating) or slug bait (Xlayer, Sluggo), cuckoo it 2/3rd's back, use a nail weight on the nose and throw to cover. Senko's cuckoo just fine alone imho. They have enough weight and, weighting them ruins the fall. However, I do use them with weight and on jigheads simply because they are so damn versatile and cheap.

Anyway...

I hold the line, just off tension and make hops in and out of boulder cover. The plan is, tail biting wrasse get the pointy end more often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts