The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a budget of roughly £300 for waders and boots. I really like the look of the guideline dee or alta waders and have seen a good deal on the scierra cc6. Both have been mentioned recently.

My requirements are something hard wearing, that does not restrict movement and also well fitted as I am 6 ft 4 and slim(ish). For boots I want rubber soles, tough and not cumbersome.

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
268 Posts
Up to £300 on a pair of waders?? Phew, kinda highly out of my league that one. Every pair I have had, sooner or later get torn, ripped or damaged to such an extent that they are no longer worth repairing. For me, I dont need felt soles and certainly dont need studs or the tie on "ice grip" things. A lot of my fishing is done in an area of lots of mud, the odd bit of small rock(s) and finally, sand as you make your way off the beach. As such, I bought my last chest waders from https://www.easy-wellies.co.uk I paid £55 for the chest waders (neoprene with rubber welly type boots) and a further £4.95 for NEXT DAY delivery. I figure that if I get a years use out of them, then I will have more than had my moneys worth. £60 all in, really speaking :)
With you being 6ft 4, they would probably fit you a litt better too. I'm 6ft 1 / 32 inside leg and the waders are a tiny bit long in the leg. This proves a great benefit when getting on my bike to head of fishing tho as its not straining the seams anywhere. Since quitting smoking, my waistline's gone from 34/36 to 42 1/2 (just now measured it, lol) I can say that the chesties are now beginning to feel "firm" around the waist when wearing t shirt, fleece and jacket on top and joggers on the bottom half. They are very warm, very comfy and have a pocket on the chest area, sewn on in such a way that you can feed your hands in behind it and keep your hands warm - if need be.
Shoulder straps are neoprene with velcro (about 6 inches x 1 inch) so that they can be adjusted for height. I wear them on their shortest fitting and they're fine.

Only thing I didnt like about them when they first arrived was the "petrol" like stink that surrounded them - and the room they were kept in! A couple of dunks in the sea seems to have put paid to the worst of this tho.

All in all, I am really happy with them. Entirely up to you as to what you buytho Ben. Your money and your choice :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Andy. I have gone through 2 pairs of daiwa waders this summer. One neoprene, one nylon £110 in total. I normally fish shingle/mud/sand/concrete and a bit of rock. Which you would think welly type waders would be adequate. But both sets of waders have been punctured in the soles and can't be repaired!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe Some silcone sealant squeezed into the hole in the sole??

Any idea what the hell could have gone thru the sole of your boot Ben? I used the same pair of waders in my old job - cutting up lorries in a breakers yard - for a good couple of years. IN the end, it was the molten sparks landing on the upward facing part of the foot that buggared them up. The soles never leaked on me and they would get walked over all sorts of sharp and / or pointed bits of iron etc

These are the main areas i work my way over ad around, Ben. That includes carefully going about another 50yds+ out into the soup at low tide. Some seriously sinky mud out there!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably just a sharp stone. Have tried to repair with some water proof wafer glue and PVC. Might try something the silicone for the neo's but want a pair of breathables for next season but why wait when I can be in comfort now.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Few issues with corkers where the sole can come off relatively easy if not secured properly and wear issues ...
You can pick up cc6's for £149 from Garry evens in wales - bargain!
For boots look at Simms or Greys with rubber soles - will bring it in under budget :)
Alex, what size are you and which size cc6 wader do you use, if you use them yourself?
They have only Large long leg and bigger at Garry Evans...
Me I am 6feet and 76kg and think, large long leg is too large for me.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I would wait a bit longer until Sportfish start selling off Simms waders (the best) like they do most years at a very big discount.
They have a sale on at the moment so you could look at the wading boots and check if they have the waders on yet ?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ben, Glasgow Angling Centre also have a good range of waders in their discount section. You have to call but there are some good deals sometimes. Also, check out the Orvis Outlet store/website.

·
Registered
849 Posts
boots Ben...

I've had these for about 3 years now and they're holding up great, I don't go as much as you though obviously!
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/simms-rivershed-wading-boots

I can't recommend them enough...lightweight, tough and great grippy soles and so comfy it's untrue, I have wide feet and struggle finding anything comfy. I'm an 11 in shoe size but have these in a 12 to allow for stockingfoots. Give them a call as I know £160 seems a bit steep for boots but to be honest I'd buy a new pair of these in a heartbeat if they get wrecked.

But.....

Look at these for a price reduction if you have pixie feet, I'm guessing not as you're taller than me but if sportfish have them reduced then somewhere else might have your size...
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/simms-guide-wading-boots-aquastealth-sole

also get some of these as Simms boots dont come with studs (ask for some thrown in)
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/simms-hard-bite-boot-studs

·
Registered
769 Posts
I just get breathable waders in the snowbee sale every 2 or 3 years for around 50 quid that do the job and I dont care too much about when trecking into and out of marks.

Regarding boots I would not recomemnd the Greys platinum rubber soled boots with studs - Bought mine in June have used them for a total of 4 days in the UK and 11 days in 2 trips to Ireland and they have split down the medial and lateral side around the base of the toes on one foot. Another mate has worn his even less and the sole has come away from the toe on one boot. I would send them back (to the shop I got them mail order from and then back to greys) but need boots for my fishing at present so I am in a dilema!

·
Banned
792 Posts
I just get breathable waders in the snowbee sale every 2 or 3 years for around 50 quid that do the job ...
what size are you and what size are the snowbees? Which snowbees did you buy and where do I get the info about a snowbee sale from?
Questions, questions and more questions whilest still looking for a new pair of breathables...

Thomas

PS from which to which point do I measure outseam and inseam of waders exactly? I am short-legged and have no shop to try some scierra cc6...

PPS anyone ever tried magnum boots for wading? Think the soles are too slippy, arent they?

·
Registered
769 Posts
what size are you and what size are the snowbees? Which snowbees did you buy and where do I get the info about a snowbee sale from?
Questions, questions and more questions whilest still looking for a new pair of breathables...
Snowbee sale is around Jan/Feb each year I think. You need to get on their mailing list and they will send you a list (in the post) of all the gear in the sale. Discounts tend to be substantial but the range of sizes and types of waders is sometimes limited. The ones I bought this year were the bottom of the range breathables which have developed just one very small leak which I aquasealed I got it through catching them on an irish barbed wire fence (better that than an Irish electic fence which will probably set fire to them!... but thats another story)

Matt

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just went for the guideline alta v2's and matching boots. Seemed to be the best for the money that I could find also delivery by Friday in time for the Hampshire bumble!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Irish electric fences, tell me about it !! Was clamberign up a cliff the other day over there, did not know there was an electirc fence and put my fishing rod on it before I had fully climbed up. Nearly fell back down with the jolt !! I guess the thing was live.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nasty! Try the French ones! When we had a house there I swear the neighbouring farmer plugged his fence into the mains! Having attempted to climb it once, my kids picked me up two fields away!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts