The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Tom, I know the problem and suffer occasionally too particularly after a long yomp over rocky ground. I haven’t tried any of the belts sold by a number of the wader manufacturers so cant really comment on how effective they are. Have a look at this link;

http://www.allsportmedical.co.uk/Product/ASM/Mueller-Products/Mueller-Adjustable-Back-Brace.aspx

I was chatting with some veteran motocross riders last year and they swear by them. You can get hold of them and lots of similar bits of kit at most motocross shops and at quite sensible prices as well. It works well for me and avoids the back ache coming on rather than curing it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bought and tested the Simms Backmagic wading belt. Normally my back is agony after about four hours or less sometimes. Four days of intensive wading for trout in a freestone river with hazardous wading and not even a dull ache. Superb. Cannot reccommend it highly enough. £50 or so from Sportfish.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Bought and tested the Simms Backmagic wading belt. Normally my back is agony after about four hours or less sometimes. Four days of intensive wading for trout in a freestone river with hazardous wading and not even a dull ache. Superb. Cannot reccommend it highly enough. £50 or so from Sportfish.
I have seen these before at Sportfish and they look great(made for the job). Back pain is so awful isn't it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It was a revelation. I can now rock hop all day without a worry. My only concern is that it may weaken my back long term? Or maybe not.. Should ask a chiropractor (back doctor dude) really...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Forum Member Jonny Pearce is a Physio or something similar I think. He's in Egypt at the moment but maybe he will see this when he comes back. I should get a belt though (something else on the list...) as my back kills after not long plugging at all.

·
Registered
498 Posts
wish i would have read this before! iv done my back in, went rockhoppin couple times over the w'end, and couldnt move y'day thought it was just old age never bothered me before, used some new boots tho great grip and ankle suport that might be the prob,have to look at the belts thanks, and to make matters worse on the sick and cant get out fishin!!lol

·
Registered
498 Posts
ordered snowbee lumber belt off ebay this morn £19.49 delivered, let you know what they're like when they turn up

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I have just bought one of these myself but not tried it yet ..... how tight do you need to strap it on Dave for it to be effective?

Reactions: Carl B

·
Registered
239 Posts
It needs to be reasonably tight but not uncomfortable. Put it on and position it then tighten with the ring pull thing until you can feel the support. Hard to describe but it needn't be corset tight!

Going to be giving it a more thorough review as I'm doing a weeks flats fishing and that normally leaves me in agony after a couple of hours. Will report back.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Dave,
Talking of corsets .......... have you tried one of these... Looks stunning to me :muttley::muttley:

[/IMG]

Anyone already trying one out......:muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Thanks for the edit Bob.

How did you guess that was me........:muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
498 Posts
tried the snowbee belt couple of times this week and iy seems fine for the money suppose time will tell, only thing bothers me is the waist size 34"-51", im bang on the 34"but anyone slimmer will struggle in summer if only wearing t shirt and not waders

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
tried the snowbee belt couple of times this week and iy seems fine for the money suppose time will tell, only thing bothers me is the waist size 34"-51", im bang on the 34"but anyone slimmer will struggle in summer if only wearing t shirt and not waders
Don't think many of us are under 34" :-D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm no doctor/chiropractor. but do have a interest in back pain and its causes/remedy

Im interested as to what type of back pain you guys suffer from and why

Is it mainly lower back/lumber area

Unless you have had a back injury specific to the area concerned, then alot of back problems can originate from poor posture. This can be attributed to a number of factors, which are specific to the individual.

I dont want to alarm anybody but as mentioned in a previous post the effects of long term usuage of a support belt should be given consideration, espcially if it was going to be relied on to alleviate pain consistently.

For you guys in Jersey who are interested and suffer from back pain, and are prepared to do something about it there is a great style of yoga on offer on your island. Its called Svaroopa Yoga and is great for alleviating back problems,

I know that this sounds like a advert but after 25 years of physically abusing myself on building sites I've been there with a bad back and laid up in bed for weeks. It took me months to get back to to 'normal'.

Then I came across Svaroopa .This is not the normal gymnastic yoga that we see paraded in the media. That may have its place for the young and agile, but lets be honest most of us aren't that are we !! Once practicing Svaroopa the healing process became rapid and I went past 'normal' and began to experience a flexibility that I had years earlier.

Back pain all but dissapeared....Im not suggesting that you all go and become yogis, but if it gets too much and you live in Jersey....... You might be plesantly suprised whats on your door step.

I have just re-read this and it reads like a miracle cure advert.......... its not it takes persistance and hardwork. Just thought I'd put it out there

·
Registered
498 Posts
mine was lower back muscle strain not back probs thank god asked the doc about using a belt and he couldnt see any long term affects because it was a muscle problem but wouldnt recomend for proper back probs, when we are stood on rocks feet are often uneven and we're turning to cast thats the prob for me i think, so going to try leveling feet more in the future

·
Registered
88 Posts
mine was lower back muscle strain not back probs thank god asked the doc about using a belt and he couldnt see any long term affects because it was a muscle problem but wouldnt recomend for proper back probs, when we are stood on rocks feet are often uneven and we're turning to cast thats the prob for me i think, so going to try leveling feet more in the future
Yep know what you mean Carl .......its being aware of what you are doing, and how you are doing it

·
Registered
843 Posts
Suffered from back pain for years following rugby. Weight training actually eased the pain as it increased the strength of my lower back muscles.

I started to train with the belt but for the past 4 years have not had any support.

The biggest cause of back injury when training is poor technique, try to look at posture.

Also are you carrying a rucksack? Is that putting strain on your lower back as you compensate for the weight?

I still suffer from back ache after a long day. I changed my rucksack for a chest pack on my last trip, that helped as did stretching and making sure I was not leaning forward putting strain on my back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts