The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to embark on the search for a decent 'old skool' cobbler, to try and replace/renew some felt soles on a fantastic pair of boots.
Has anyone had this done and can they recommend a suitable cobbler?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm about to embark on the search for a decent 'old skool' cobbler, to try and replace/renew some felt soles on a fantastic pair of boots.
Has anyone had this done and can they recommend a suitable cobbler?
Well, collected the boots this morning and he's done a fantastic job........but how many of you knew this, 9 times out of 10 ( and he's replaced a few of all makes Simms/Orvis/Patagonia), the actual 'stitched' sole is not stitched to the bottom of the boot but merely stuck on.....only the felt itself is stitched, its a 'detail'. Not being convinced with this comment, I asked to see the old soles he removed from my boots, yup, the stitching was only through the felt itself. He confirmed that you could take the stitching through into the boot sole, but would not be able to go completely around the boot due to the thickness of the heel block!

So, stitched soles, look great but have no benefit to standard felt soles.

Notwithstanding this though, the quality of the sole plate makes a huge difference he said, the better the make up of the boot; the better the glued sole will take to it.....I can vouch for the midsole on the patagonia's; a solid rubber plate which he roughened with sand paper prior to the gluing process........these soles won't be coming off anytime soon he reckoned :D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great result then Si, thanks for sharing :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting - I want pair of Simms rubber soled wading boots next - mine are about to give up the ghost ... corroded eyelets and the side is tearing away ...
Alex, if your after rubber soles, for whatever reason, try and get some 5.10 rubber. This stuff sticks like the proverbial doodoo onto a shagpile carpet (but only on dry rock :D)
Nothing grips wet rock like felt ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts