The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Well what a weekend, first of all let me say a massive thank you to Mike and everyone involved with organising things, we had a fantastic time. I thought I would add a few pictures showing the highlights of our three days in Weymouth. After registering at Reels and Deals and meeting Mike for the first time, lots of hand shakes with familiar and not so familiar faces and introductions made we headed off to load up with provisions for the weekend. Beer a few bottles of water chocolate, paracetamol and a new innovation for me Gin & Tonic in cans, now this was a survival kit to be proud of eat your hart out Ray Meers no energy bars for us. A quick check of the weather and all of two minutes perusing Google maps we headed off to what we thought would be the only fishable spot and we are proud of the fact that we weren't wrong as we watched the car park fill up with lots of familiar faces, like kids at a new school we were encouraged that we were in the right place. So kit out of the car, waders on and we were off along the cliff tops eager to get our first sight of the famous ledges and we weren't disappointed what a fantastic place. Everyone fanned out and found fishable spots as we all waited for the tide to push in and bring the shoals of massive Bass, it was quite a sight watching everyone switching lures, fanning casts and hoping around to new spots searching for that familiar tug. Just as the light was fading Jack shouted out and it was time for the bubble wrap to come off the official measure, a nice fish of 38cm was then duly photographed and returned, below the 50cm minimum entry but at least he was off the mark. A few minutes later and wallop my lure was hit hard in what was now a growing surf, again a nice fish of about 40cm, as Jack had the measure I didn't want to stop him fishing as it wast long enough for the comp. Unfortunately that was it for the evening and as the Coast Guard Helicopter was making it very clear they didn't want anyone on the rocks after dark we headed back to the car feeling good with our efforts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Saturday, back out again at silly o'clock and as the morning light began to show it was clear that the swell was much higher than the night before and the Southerly wind was a lot stronger. After an hour of extreme rock hoping and wave dodging along with pulling way too much weed with every cast we decided to beat a retreat and get some rest in readiness for the evening tide.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Saturday evening, and the wind was dropping a little and the swell seemed more manageable we hit the rocks again. Not much activity for the first couple of hours but then 40 minutes before high water and just as the light was fading everything went nuts with activity everywhere which resulted in fourteen Pollack and we lost count of the Mackerel being landed between us. Just to our right Jon, Tracy and George were cleaning up as well, unfortunately not Bass but great fun and a real confidence booster on what was a very tough day weather wise.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sunday morning, brought a complete change in the weather and we headed off to our selected mark for first light and we were greeted with much calmer water blue sky and bait fish and Bass jumping everywhere. We then had a brilliant half an hour which resulted in four Bass landed two shaken loose, lots of hits and swirls and big grins all round. Unfortunately all the fish were under the magic 50cm's with the largest being 47cm and the other three around 35 to 40cm's. Once it went quiet we moved further up the coast trying to find the fish again but nothing was showing so we decided to call it a day and head off to get cleaned up, find a decent restaurant and eat something that didn't come in a cellophane bag.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It was great meeting up with everyone again on Sunday evening, although fatigue was definitely taking its toll as I found myself introducing myself to people in some cases for the third time. Jack has already started looking at homes to put me in my only request is can it be on a Bassy part of the coast. All in all a top weekend with a top group of people, we didn't get on the score board but we got into some fish on every day and had a great laugh with some great people which is quite an achievement when less than twelve Months ago neither of us had ever caught a Bass. Thanks again to everyone involved and I look forward to meeting up with you all again at next years comp, cheers guys.[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report John and some brilliant photo's mate. Makes me even more envious of those that were there......... there's always next year!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fantastic report John wish i was there even more now. However, there is one thing which is confusing me, you must have had plenty of time to visit Steve at the pike lake :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Super report and a great range of photos, John. As I said on Sunday, it is a great achievement that you & Jack managed fish on every day under entirely your own steam in less than ideal conditions. Congratulations and maybe next year we should watch out for you two in the Pairs competition??

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Brilliant report John :clap:, really enjoyed that. Both you and Jack really did well to get into the fish each day :D. Great to meet up with you again (the G&T in cans is a revelation, eh :?: ;)), and see you soon.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Super reprot John well done. Lovely to meet you and your son.

I only hope my son still fishes with me when he's as old as your - at 5 months and strapped to my back he's a captive audience today !

The pollacking on Saturday night was mad, Tracey and I appeared to landing fish with every other cast. The pair between where you were fishing and where we were weren't getting a bite!

Hopefully we can see eachother soon.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Super reprot John well done. Lovely to meet you and your son.

I only hope my son still fishes with me when he's as old as your - at 5 months and strapped to my back he's a captive audience today !

The pollacking on Saturday night was mad, Tracey and I appeared to landing fish with every other cast. The pair between where you were fishing and where we were weren't getting a bite!

Hopefully we can see eachother soon.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It was great meeting you guys and George again and what a star he is, a chirpy grin on his face whenever we saw you. The Pollacking was great fun not part of the comp but a great confidence booster. You've got a lot to look forward to with young George, fishing with your kids is fantastic. Jack might be 23 but he will always be a curious ten year old to me, although I think he looks out for me more these days. Not sure he wants me sleeping on his bedroom floor again next year though apparently I snore, I blame the cans of G&T myself.[/FONT]

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brilliant report John :clap:, really enjoyed that. Both you and Jack really did well to get into the fish each day :D. Great to meet up with you again (the G&T in cans is a revelation, eh :?: ;)), and see you soon.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cheers mate and many thanks for the heads-up on canned G&T, just ordered a case on line -picnic heaven.[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Great report John, and very nice indeed to say hello to you too!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done John, stunning report and pics, nice to see a photo of me fishing for a change and not with my head in my hands suffering a hangover :p Good things come to those who put the effort in, well done to you and Jack :-D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts