The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting some recommendations for very warm socks, as my feet seem to always be cold when fishing!?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nick, are you sure your boots are not too tight as this will restrict the circulation and aid the cold feeling?

If you have plenty of room in your boots, I'll 2nd the neoprene socks.....well worth it.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Sealskinz get my vote as well Paul. Expensive but the best there is.

Neoprene's okay if you have plenty of room in your boots as Nick says or your feet don't sweat...either of these situations will cause cold feet.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nick, are you sure your boots are not too tight as this will restrict the circulation and aid the cold feeling?
Thats generally my thought as well. Only time I generally get cold feet when plugging and walking around is when my boots are too tight. What are you actually wearing when you're fishing Nick? Waders (neoprene socks built in), boots...? Wet wading - neoprene socks for sure. Anything else I'd not look for neoprene but look for similar properties to what you'd select in a general base layer - quick wicking etc. Not cotton.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for all your replies.

I don't think my boots are too small to be honest. When wading in my wading boots my feet seem to be ok. These if anything are slightly too big I think, as I feel a lot of water pressure on the top of my feet and my toes, which I think is wrong. They are the Simms Rivershed Boots with Studded Aquastealth soles, so were not cheapies. I am an 11 shoe size and was advised by John Norris, whom I bought them from, to go for a UK12 boot to accommodate thick socks etc. Maybe I should have gone for an 11?? What do you guys normally do with regards to this dilemma ... in future I will try some on before I buy, but nobody stocks wading gear where I live.

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/search/7236-simms-rivershed-boot-vibram-sole-2403.html

It's when I am bait fishing, sitting around in neoprene waders with boot feet, that I seem to suffer. These ones are by Snowbee, and the attached boots are supposed to be neoprene lined, but even with what I thought were good thick woollen socks, my feet suffer big time. Likewise boat fishing in winter.

So was just wondering what people thought were the warmest, or best type of socks to go for? Manufacturers claim that their socks are the warmest, but often these are over £20 a pair, plus p&p, so expensive if they are not that great.

Are the neoprene ones that warm, and do people wear normal thick woollen socks underneath?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nick, if its only when your sitting around and bait fishing........jack it in and continue plugging! Still sounds like a circulation problem to me though

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think you'll struggle when sitting still actually. Having previously fished coarse matches for years (sitting still for 5 hours straight), unless you're wearing proper hardcore thermal boots (like these Skeetex ones : http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/fish/original.htm), you will get cold feet no matter what socks you wear. What you need in boots is thick layers and air. If you're not wearing proper thermal boots then ideally what you'll need is a boot size about 2 bigger than your standard, followed by lots of layers of loose fitting socks. This one may be impossible to solve if you NEED to wear the neoprene waders? If you could step down to boots then I could strongly recommend the Skeetex ones above.

...or like Si says, just go pluggin'. lol

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Ben said:
...or like Si says, just go pluggin'. lol
Don't listen to them Nick get yourself a pair of Skeetex.... There has to be one or two of us non conformists on the site to keep a balanced Forum...:wink::wink:

I have no problem throwing a nice crab in to catch Bass when nothing can tempt them to take a plug or rubber.... I know... I know I'm a heathen...but so long as there's something tugging on my line I don't mind...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Don't listen to them Nick get yourself a pair of Skeetex.... There has to be one or two of us non conformists on the site to keep a balanced Forum...:wink::wink:

I have no problem throwing a nice crab in to catch Bass when nothing can tempt them to take a plug or rubber.... I know... I know I'm a heathen...but so long as there's something tugging on my line I don't mind...:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Damn it Trev, I thought you were a good guy!!!!! 'Bait'?! Deary me! lol. :aarrg:

haha, only jokin. Definitely though Nick, unless you 100% need waders, select something by Skeetex. The boots I've linked to above aren't made for walking - so anything more than a couple of miles then consider something else in their range. But definitely Skeetex.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have the Simms rivershed boots too, excellent boots - light comfy and to be honest I've never tried on a better pair of wading boots in my life.
I'm also an 11 but have a size 12. Never had a problem with my Orvis stocking foot waders or my snowbee neoprene granite stockingfoot's either.

I also have some snowbee boot feet thigh waders and to be honest these are nowhere near as good. Yes they are neoprene lined but not a patch on proper stockingfoot waders with the simms boots.

If I were you I'd get some Snowbee granite neoprene stockingfoot waders and use the simms boots or get a cheaper pair just for the sea, I took my brother bass fishing for the first time back in november, It was cold, wet and blowing a gale but he borrowed my snowbee's and a pair of my old orvis boots which only have a canvas upper. He was pretty surprised at how warm he was all day with that gear on and if he was cold he'd have bloody moaned all day, he has no tolerance for that kinda thing.

One thing to try though is some decent Wool socks, wool keeps you warm even when wet. If your feet get sweaty you'll still be toasty at least that's what all the survival experts like mears and grills seem to suggest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have found you cannot go wrong with silk sock as a thin baselayer, followed by a decent thermal ski sock. Really really effective, and it works for me in the mountains, as it does when fishing in the winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts