The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps

Went out with the old fella yesterday spinning on the Lizard. It was just a classic Cornish session with 2oz lead and frozen sandeel spinning for some mackerel for the barbecue. We caught a few in fits and starts.

BUT, for about 90 mins we could catch nothing despite having something dragging/plucking/pulling on the end of our lines every cast from the 100 yds or so out virtually all the way in. Felt quite weighty at times but minimal damage if any to the sandeel, not one hook up.

Question is do you think it was squid? It definitely was not garfish, we have had hundreds in our time. Whatever it was there were plenty out there, they were on the line almost instantly. Have fished this method for decades and never had these weird bites before.

I was kicking myself I did not have any squid lures to try.

Conditions were sunny with moderate swell into deep water over rocks.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
After having seen first hand how many Squid remain around our shores during the time when they're not supposed to be there, I would say Squid or Cuttlefish would be a good bet. Previous thoughts on the whole was that they were only a viable target around autumn, but they have been caught and seen all the way through to now.

Clip on an egi next time and have a throw!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark,
If I owned an egi I would have given it a go. Another thing to add to the shopping list!

I know squid do but cuttlefish shoal because whatever they were, there were loads of them out there? Have seen plenty of cuttlefish approach my boat and take a bait but these bites were much more positive

After having seen first hand how many Squid remain around our shores during the time when they're not supposed to be there, I would say Squid or Cuttlefish would be a good bet. Previous thoughts on the whole was that they were only a viable target around autumn, but they have been caught and seen all the way through to now.

Clip on an egi next time and have a throw!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
My understanding is that Cuttles come in, in very large numbers earlyish season, late april/may when they have spawning on their minds. Whether they feed hard or not I have no idea. They then drift away, only to return in later summer where they do feed more heavily. They dont like swell at all apparently.

There were a shoal of big squid seen from one of the breakwaters in the middle of the day over here a couple of months back. It was hundreds strong according to the people that saw it, so yes, squid shoal for sure!

There is loads of stuff to be learn't on the subject of both of them, so we'll just have to keep fishing and wait for Keith to learn Japanese before we suss more out!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have taken to always carrying a jig with me and always have a couple of casts every trip. Only caught 1 cuttle and 1 squid within 3 casts of each other so they must also move together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts