Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

250LB BLACK MARLIN

SAME FISH

ONE OF 2 SAILFISH

GT

YELLOWFIN SUSHI

The 1st day out on the game boat was hard work,one Dorado all day.On the bright side we did raise 4 striped marlin only for them to turn away after following the baits for a few seconds,lets say i was a little bit frustrated!
I had 3 days till the next big game boat day,the wife was happy on the sunbed getting waited on, so it was off down the beach to sort out a small boat.I found the best way was to ask the guys who work at the hotel,they gave honest advice & unlike the beach boys they're not on commision.I duly met the skipper of a 22ft cabin cruiser & we arranged a 6.30am start.As we got on the boat i asked the skipper if we could stay in the shallower water to try for GT on a 20LB class shakey & Fin Nor offshore reel i'd brought along.2 hours later mission accomplished,for me a very nice GT & caught on gear that the fish could fight back on.(its hard to find boats with less than 50LB class).
Saidi the skipper suggested we troll out to the rips for sailfish which i agreed to,on our way we came across a lot of birds diving into a bait ball,as we got closer we could see decent size Tuna crashing on the surface.On went some rapalas & within 5 minutes was into a my 1st yellowfin on my own rod.I'd heard Tuna were tough but i still was'nt prepared for the powerful runs & there never give up doggedness under the boat.We managed to stay with the shoal for a couple of hours landing 3 more yellowfin.A bit more trolling for a sail then it was time for home.
Next day i'd sorted a trip to Mida creek on one of the small skiffs,not much to say about the fishing but the bird life was good,one small trevally caught on a trolled Yozuri emperor minnow & that was the only fish between 4 boats in the creek.There was a lot of mono gill netting going on,i saw them ring netting & drift netting! even the locals who rely on fish to feed there familys were not catching.I think Mida creek might be worth keeping away from for a while.
Another morning in the skiff this time trolling for anything toothy.This was by far the least enjoyable trip,engine problems on the way out ,which they seemed to get sorted only for them to reappear an hour later,time for home.we
did manage a kingish of about 10LB on the way back,another 1st for me so all was not lost.
Big game day at last & i thought it was going to go wrong again,2 stripeys rose to the lures only for them to turn away again.About 10 am we spotted some tuna hitting baitfish,out went some small lures, we soon had 2 bonito & a
yellowfin of about 5LB which was rigged live & slow trolled on a down rigger.I don't think the bait was in the water
more than 20minutes before the tuna got hit,a lot of line was fed out in free spool to make sure sure the bait was taken properly,then the reel was set to strike the engine was gunned & the hook was set.To see a Marlin jumping clear of the water & knowing your on the other end of the line must be one of the most awe inspiring moments you can get in angling.Theres not a lot of finesse in fighting a big fish,in fact its hard work! but the visual side of the fight makes up for all the pain, the black Marlin did several spectacular jumps close to the boat which will stay in my mind till the day i die.
2 more stripeys went for the trolled tuna lures around lunch time but no hook up.Then at 2oclock i hooked the 1st of 2 sailfish,beautiful to see & quite acrobatic, but sadly totally out gunned on the gear i was using.
Thanx to the guys who have given me advice on here(especially Dave) its been invaluable.

Bye for now from a very happy Steve

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning report and pics Steve, looks like you had a brilliant time, thanks for sharing !

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Great report Steve mate thanks for that
You look very exited in the GT pic i hope that's a torch or boga grips in your pocket !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amazing pics steve. looks like your having a cracking time!

The Marlin is stunning. I would love to catch a Dorado one day such beautiful looking fish i think

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice one Steve,
Cracking fun especially the GT and Yellowfin on lighter gear-got love them!!
Congrats on the Black, I know some people that try for years before they land one-well done.
Kenya CAN be a great place to fish, especially if like Steve you already have a good knowledge of fishing.
Worth talking to the guys out there BEFORE planning a trip, as the seasons (fishing wise) seem to be changing, and alot of the website info is now out of date.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sorry Steve,
Got to be nosey, what did you get the yellowfin on, lure-wise??

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 on an old white deep diving fladden one on a red & white deep diving rapala.Tried a few casts with poppers & a patchinko but sadly no takes.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Fantastic fishing Steve. Not sure I can face any more LRF for a while after reading that! Time to antifoul Grace.....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anyones interested in a combined safari & fishing trip let me know.While there i went to one of the boat owners houses for a few beers, he explained that his main business is running safari's from his office in Malindi, the fishing up to recently being mostly pleasure with the odd charters.The boat is a modern 27ft cabin cruiser with flying bridge,its kitted out with full electronics & top fishing gear.Looking at the quality of fish he & his clients have caught he certainly knows what he's doing.He will be in the UK for a few months in the summer, we are going to catch up & talk prices.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Just dribbled all over my desk looking back at these pics again. I gotta go catch some big stuff !!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts