The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get the jigs out the other day and have a bash at any cuttles or squid they maybe about. I could see a ton of ink on the pier down at Gorey and it was safely tucked away from the wind (which was blowing up to a F6). Got a few knocks but no hook ups, including watching small squid go for the jig on a number of occasions. What intrigued me was that the water wasn't too clear, does anyone reckon it makes any difference when going for cuttles or squid. I new to Eging so never really thought about it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi Jay

I think it does make a difference as last year on the north coast there were strange patches of cloudy water, and if you fished in the cloud, you were at a massive disadvantage to fishing the clear water. A few days later, the patches had broken up and as your lure entered a clear patch it would be taken quite readily by either pollock or ikas.

Gary

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm seeing it make a difference but....

Research is showing that the Far Eastern nations have a much, greater understanding of colour in Egi's and the way Squid and Cuttles react in various visibility.

I'd suggest, far greater than ever associated with Bass lure fishing.

My own personal experiences are showing a leaning toward natural colours in daylight or blue hues.
Bright greens have been good in dirtier water in daylight.

Under half lights, olives, browns and reds over red or gold base tapes have been good.

However, there are loads of combo's.

Red, Gold, Rainbow and Silver bases.
Prawn and Scad cloths
The outer colours
UV impregnations and now, reactive warm jackets that raise the egi temperature about 1 deg C higher to aid thermal sensing which Cephlapods have it seems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out for a session last night again, as I determined to get into the Ika's and the cuttles are proving to be useful practice. Managed to get one on the deck and lost another 3, the wall made it a bit hard to get them out. I've heard about these UV impregnations and the warm jackets, I am intrigued and definitely would mind having a look, anyone know where abouts I can get any, I can find the warm jackets but I'm struggling with the UV ones.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lots of quality egi's react under 'black light'.
We can't see it. Squid can.

Here is one example...

http://www.duel.co.jp/english/products/lineup/y_squid/bottom_shrimp/index.html
And I'm sold! Cheers, Keith, having difficultly trying to find where their sold though, the link has loads of info, but can’t see how to buy them. Also can we get a Egi bumble organized at some point, I can see the addiction to this type of fishing cause it’s just loads of fun. Would anyone be up for an Egi bumble soon?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Eging bumble day into night would be great.

Anytime now is the time to organise it. Lots of guys out there Eging with good Japanese Egi's right now too so results would be interesting.

I'll try to compile a list of friendly Egi suppliers and post em here..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eging bumble day into night would be great.

Anytime now is the time to organise it. Lots of guys out there Eging with good Japanese Egi's right now too so results would be interesting.

I'll try to compile a list of friendly Egi suppliers and post em here..
Sound I'll post on the meets section and see who's up for it and go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts