The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I just got interested in lure fishing for bass last autumn and have only been out a couple of times. Tonight I went to a mark which looked interesting, two rocky skeers with a long channel in between, but when I got there the water was only about 2 feet deep. As it was a nice night I gave it a go, but I was wondering if you experienced guys could telll me if I would have been wasting my time? Should I go back when the tide is higher and there is more water or could I still catch bass on the lure in such shallow water?

Sorry if its a daft question but I feel am bumbling round in the dark at the moment and am just experimenting with trial and error. Thanks for any advice :)

Cheers
Dean

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
It's not a daft question Dean.
Bass will come in to very shallow water, barely covering their back to find food & feed. However think about things from the bass point of view, can it get back out, is the tide dropping etc etc. Survival, feeding & breeding are about all that fish have to think about. I have seen bass (4lb+) cut off & land locked because they have been feeding in a gulley as the tide went out & they were stuck in there until the tide came in again on a sandy beach, the gulley was only about a foot deep.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Remember last year took the kids to the beach. As the tide was coming in 4 good size bass followed the tide in, They came right up to the tide line. Only in a few inches of water. We stood still and they were swiming between are legs. The kids loved it. There's me with no rod with me idiot that I am.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Most of the marks I fish are on shallow sandy beaches and are less than 3ft as the tide floods mate. As long as the water is moving quite quickly it doesn't seem to bother the fish how deep it is, unless there are lots of birds flying around.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Certainly not too shallow, though I would target it in low light conditions/night time even. Worth trying at all states of tide as it may experience just one run of fish through as well. So much of this lark is down to trial and error

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, this really gives me a lot more confidence to fish this mark now! As a recent convert to lures I have loads to learn but I am loving it much more than bait fishing, even though I am yet to catch anything :)
Thanks again

Dean

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I caught a 6lb Bass last year on the early flood in about 1ft of water. Awesome !!! Get a lure into that shallow water - the takes can be savage !!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts