The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Interesting thread/stories.

I'm not sure, but with faecal matter being bad for humans (hence the failures) I'm not so sure it's bad for the fish? Mullet for example will lap it up? Depends a bit on what affects the pollution has on the smaller organisms I guess - starting right at the bottom of the food chain. If it were to affect the smallest microorganisms then ultimately it could have an effect of the fishing I guess? It could be positive just as easily as it could be negative though? There's obviously a right and a wrong there for somebody who knows more about it...

·
Registered
268 Posts
All I can say on the subject is the fact that Muscle beds and small crustaceans thrive round outfalls. So tend to be fish magnets. So to me as long as the out flow is not excessive its no problem. In fact areas that have been cleaned up tend to fish worse than they did before.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Don't be put of by water colour, my father had a 6lb bass in January and the sea was the colour of pea soup and that was on a sub surface lure.

One of the areas that I fish has a sewer out let and often colours up the whole bay, quite bad at times! and we have been catching bass left right and centre, it was really bad yesterday when I was out with a customer on a guide session and he caught a 6lb bass and my father had a couple of lost fish.

You will find that a lot of anglers will not bother fishing because there chance of catching is reduced, well I am not denying that, but the fish are still there, and can still be caught.

Your out fishing anyway, so give it ago and build up your own experience on the matter to do with water discolouration, because if you ask some one else that isn't sure either about water colour, your holding your progress of learning about water craft which is a vital ingredient.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nathan

I was more concerned about the bacteria in the water & the sheer filth that might kill certain food items, than the fact that sewerage coloured up the water. Why are we as fishermen not campaigning for long & short sea sewer pipes to be kept open & in use then???? Apart from the obvious no bathing areas & all sorts of toilet flushed nasties turning up on the beach.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nigel,

So many people ask about water clarity, and when your thread came up, I thought I would use that to bring over a different point of view with regards to fishing in coloured water....is this wrong????
As for sewer pipes to be kept open, I think that would be very silly to want that!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes a tongue in cheek remark.

I was talking about water quality as opposed to clarity.

I'm talking bacteria, sanitary towels, condoms, excrement etc floating around in an area around sewerage outfall pipes & on the tidal current & on the sea bed. As opposed to silt, sand mud etc being stirred up by rough weather.

So does all the human waste coming out of a sewer pipe attract or repel bass. Do bass need a certain amount off purity in the water to be caught there??????

·
Registered
990 Posts
I gotcha niggie, :). At the end of the day bass want an easy meal and have caught bass freely at a sewer outlet as well as mullet. I cant comment on the purity as I am no marine biologist ......doh

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes there is a type of worm(forgot the name of it but some type of nematode) that lives in the flesh of white fish. But this is mainly in cod and is a natural thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts