The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading / hearing that water temperature can play an important part in when Bass come in and leave our shores and also to what depth they feed.

Is this true ?
What are the ranges if so ?
How do you get the water temperatures where you are fishing ?

Hope this is not a silly question but I would like to find out if true or not.

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Water Temperature plays a huge role in bass behaviour. In fact it is one of the factors that governs if the bass will even be on the shoreline, if they will be feeding, and even if there is anything for them to feed on.
Very roughly speaking bass will move inshore and start to feed in waters temperatures over 10 degrees, their activity will peak as our sea temperatures peak around 17 degrees and they will feed hard as the water temperature drops in the autumn, until the water temperatures again hits 10 degrees when they will tend to head south and into deeper water.
I am sure other members will be able to give you better and more detailed information.
Have a search online for sites that detail surface temperature of the costal waters.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Aswell as temperature i'm sure light levels have an input too ,High light levels mean an abundance of phytoplankton which means an abundance of zooplankton which sandeels feed on and so forth i'm sure its as important but im a rubbish angler and not a biologist so am willing to be told otherwise

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I believe that sub 7 deg makes Bass fishing nearly pointless unless local conditions and behaviour proves otherwise.

I also believe that 12.5 - 16.5 is the optimum window for OUR Bass.

How they behave in shallow water, weeded waters (take oxygen and release CO2 at night), and differing PH levels down to local CO2 absorption are all relevant factors.

Fish might lie deep in cold water but, mid day, might head really shallow in the brightest of the sun to warm. Other fish do, why not Bass and, local results have leant me to believe that the same area's favoured generally still might be favoured in winter conditions but, for much shorter time periods.

Loads to this and It's really up to the individual to discover local trends and behaviours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts